cardiomyapathy 3 yrs now and overweight

Posts from Jan. 1, 2009 to Dec 31, 2009

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

kcblues2

cardiomyapathy 3 yrs now and overweight

Post by kcblues2 » January 12th, 2015, 11:44 pm

I have been diagnosed 3 yrs now. At first I went to doc every 6 months now once a year. I have had my ICD about a year and half. I also have fibromyalgia so sometimes I freak out at symptoms that turn out to be fibro related. I have never been shocked and that really scares me and I try not to think about it! 2 weeks ago I got a call from the hospital that monitors my ICD and they wanted to know if I had trouble breathing at night or if my ankles were swollen. I said no and they said my reading had showed something that made them think this was the case. They said they would read it again in Feb. What the heck does this mean? I have had allot of dizzy spells but I have had them since I was in high school and take meds when I get them. How do I know if its this or heart related? Also, I worry I need to lose weight, but with fibro its hard. Sorry don't mean to whine! Also my youngest daughter has moved back home and diagnosed with crones she is 29. She is in pain and sick allot and can only work part-time so we try and pay for her meds ect. I am on disability at 62 and my husband is retired but this week went back to work part-time. I'm sorry to drone on and on. Any advice about any of this? The phone call on the reading, dizzy spells, ect. any thing would be appreciated. I am so glad I found this site!

freckles1880

Re: cardiomyapathy 3 yrs now and overweight

Post by freckles1880 » January 13th, 2015, 8:46 am

My warden also has fibromyalgia and we know so well how it does have an effect on our daily lives. She does exercise daily and does need to cut down when she is hurting. Normally she walks more than 10,000 steps a day.

As far as the questions about weight. Your ICD does record the amount of water in your system. When I look at my download reports I can tell the days I was "holding" my water.
Water around your heart can be a very serious issue. You need to talk to your cardiologist and see what he/she recommends. I do not take a lasic daily but will when I see my weight is gaining. I weigh every morning and evening. Many times when I have seen a quick gain I can see it in my ankles. Also when the water is there breathing is usually more difficult. There are scales that actually will telephone in your weights to a service and your doctors gets the reports. The scale also asks you questions at every weigh in.

I also exercise and really watch my salt intake as that is where most of my excess water comes from.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

juicyb

Post by juicyb » January 17th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Losing weight and keeping it off is so hard to do, especially when your capacity to exercise is diminished by a medical condition. But there are simple steps you can take to increase the amount of exercise you are getting and to rid your diet of excess foods, especially those with low nutritional value. I used to be a big snacker, especially while watching TV. I took up knitting - which requires both hands and a fair amount of concentration (good for the brain, too) and found that just keeping my hands busy helped me all but eliminate junk snacking. I also added a puppy to our household. As our older dog had aged she'd required less and less exercise - or at least I was taking her out less often and for much shorter trips. The younger dog needs at an hour of walking a day to keep from being bonkers. I take her out for at least 15 minutes four times a day - sometimes longer, if the weather is fair and I have extra time. My older dog has eased back into a better exercise routine, too. Examine your daily routine for areas where you can make small adjustments. Every little bit counts. Good luck to you!

Julia

kcblues2

Post by kcblues2 » January 22nd, 2015, 1:38 pm

:) Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer me. It was very kind and meant a great deal to me.