Newcomer

Posts from Jan. 1, 2009 to Dec 31, 2009

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

Elizabeth Martineau

Newcomer

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 15th, 2009, 8:40 am

Hi, to introduce myself to the site. I am 61 years old and have just received my ICD two weeks ago. This is certainly new territory and lots of mental and emotional adjustments to go through. I was so happy to find this site!

I work but will retire soon. I love to paint and have sold some works.

Thanks for the chance to find people who have gone through similar experiences.

Elizabeth

JR1966

Re: Newcomer

Post by JR1966 » May 15th, 2009, 8:52 am

Hi Elizabeth and welcome to the group.I notice your an artist so check out Chrissy's post on the boab tree.I think you will be impressed.JOHN

Lazydays

Post by Lazydays » May 15th, 2009, 9:08 am

Elizabeth

Welcome to the group. I am sure that collectively other members will be able to help you with any questions you may have. Receiving an ICD brings out many emotions and thoughts but most I think adjust really well.

You will find folk here who have felt as you do now - like you say, it takes some time to adjust mentally. For many it is a bit of a rollercoaster ride.... we have our ups and downs. But you will adjust and you have found somewhere to share your feelings or post your questions with others in a similar situation.

There are others here who artistic capabilities - alas I am not one of them.
Gary

Life Can Sometimes Be A Shocking Experience

March 1994 - MI
June 2003 - Stent
July 2008 - VT - Stent & ICD fitted
Dec 2008 - Appropriate shock
Sept 2011 - Ventricular Ablation (failed)
May 2012 - Ventricular Ablation
May 2013 - Ventricular Ablation (failed to induce VT )
June 2014 - Ventricular Ablation
25mg Spirolactone
5mg Bisoprolol
10mg Ramipril
40mg Pravastatin
Warfarin
Disopyramide - 400 mg

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 15th, 2009, 9:12 am

Thanks, everyone. I feel better already!

Aamos

Post by Aamos » May 15th, 2009, 10:18 am

Welcome!

We're about to experience D's one year anniversary of SCA. He's had his ICD for just over 6 months. At first, we pretty much hated it, but came to realize what a waste of energy that was. The whole experience does toss you about; folks here were instrumental in getting us righted and back on track.

Whereabouts in the world are you?

Amy in SOuth Dakota
Amy/Aamos--wife of DanL, who had SCA 6/1/08; 4x bypass 6/5/08 and Guidant Vitality dual chamber ICD 11/7/08

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 15th, 2009, 10:26 am

Hey, Amy. I live in Charlotte, North Carolina. Was born in Ft. Lauderdale, but also have lived in upstate NY in the Adirondacks (my favorite place in the world), Ohio, and St. Augustine, FL.

I'm glad you are at a better place about this ICD thing. I hope to be a big girl and take it all in stride. I'm not married and hate to burden my kids with all the anxiety, you know? So I was very grateful to find this site and others who know exactly what you are going through.

Thanks for the shout out (:

DonnaB

Post by DonnaB » May 15th, 2009, 11:06 am

Hi and welcome to our wonderful family.

I am Donna from Arkansas.Next Tuesday will be my 1 year anniversary of having my ICD.I have had two seperate episodes of shocks so far...both times it was appropriate.

I initially had a hard time accepting it all because until 9/07 I never knew I had heart troubles and then I had a large heart attack,6 stents,a triple bypass,and then the ICD all in about 8 months.For a few months I was in denial of needing the ICD until I was shocked. Now I accept that I need the ICD.

Coming to this site has really helped me to adjust and I find that everyone understands here.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 15th, 2009, 11:11 am

Hey, Donna, thanks for the welcome. I already feel like I've found friends. It's tough to get others who might understand, and you don't want to be a burden to family and friends who can't possibly understand like someone who is also in the same boat. Sounds like you had a rough road but you're a survivor. I will consider you a great role model. Thanks again.

AndreaA

Post by AndreaA » May 15th, 2009, 2:45 pm

Welcome Elizabeth - I'm so glad you found us - I felt exactly the same way - so grateful to find people that have gone through similar situations. There is a wide range of emotions that we go through - after hearing about my event and subsequent surgery, a friend of my mother's said "once they touch your heart, you are never the same" and I truly believe that is true - I also believe that some of the changes are a gift!
Long QT Syndrome -
Sudden Cardiac Arrest 5/13/08;
Medtronic Virtuoso DR 05/16/08
West Palm Beach, Florida

Aamos

Post by Aamos » May 15th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Eliz., beautiful! I esp. like "Forest for the Trees." Also LOL at your comment on the one painting: "Can be hung upside down, too." Wasn't there a recent exhibit where that happened and no one noticed for weeks?

Really, truly lovely.
Amy/Aamos--wife of DanL, who had SCA 6/1/08; 4x bypass 6/5/08 and Guidant Vitality dual chamber ICD 11/7/08

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 15th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Thanks, kiddo. I wish I could say it was deliberate, but it just happened, like lots of things in my paintings. I'm not a real, disciplined artist, I just paint when I get in my moods, and sometimes things appear out of nowhere. I once saw an artist up north that painted in the woods. A black fly landed on one of his paintings and instead of freakiing out, he just drew an arrow and pointed out "black fly" == (:

GP67

Post by GP67 » May 15th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Hi Elizabeth,
I like you am new to this board. Also had my ICD implanted 2 weeks ago too. This whole thing has been a very trying ride for the past 2 1/2 years. I wish I found this board sooner it's filled with wonderful information & very caring people who know what your experiencing. As they say, better late then never. Well anyway, welcome. :wave:
Gail

~Love the life you live. Live the life you love~
Bob Marley

Family with HCM
Boston Scientific Teligen 5/1/09
Son, Jake Medtronic 1/19/07 Leads changed 1/8/08
Daughter, Alyssa no HCM thank God!

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 15th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Oh, I wanted to tell you that I am familiar with Rockaway, as when I got my divorce I had to give up my two yellow labs. I found a wonderful couple in Far Rockaway that would take them both, so I drove all the way to NYC to give them away. Broke my heart, but as it turned out they were very happy with them and they moved out to Iowa and started a horse rescue farm.
So the dogs roamed happily ever after on a big farm.

GP67

Post by GP67 » May 15th, 2009, 5:02 pm

Hi again,
Sorry Elizabeth I live in East Rockaway (right by Long Beach) Nassau County, not Far Rockaway. Alot of people get the 2 confused.
Gail

~Love the life you live. Live the life you love~
Bob Marley

Family with HCM
Boston Scientific Teligen 5/1/09
Son, Jake Medtronic 1/19/07 Leads changed 1/8/08
Daughter, Alyssa no HCM thank God!

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 15th, 2009, 5:12 pm

Oh, okay, sorry.

I hope the operation went well for you. Have you had any shocks? I had the phantom shocks, 3 times, during the night. I was so surprised when they told me they weren't
real! Good luck to you and again thanks for the welcome