Newcomer

Posts from Jan. 1, 2009 to Dec 31, 2009

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

PerfectPieMakersGirl

Re: Newcomer

Post by PerfectPieMakersGirl » May 15th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Welcome Elizabeth,

I just wanted to tell you that you will be back on that dance floor in no time! I started line dancing with my friends when I was 13 and we still get out as often as our busy lives allow. It took me a while after my SCD to feel good and safe enough to go out... but now I figure if I am going to get shocked... Im going to get shocked... and I can't be so afraid to live my life and fear getting shocked in public that I waste the second (and third) chance I was given.
Erin 28
SCD 6/25/08
ICD Implant 6/30/08
First set of shocks 9/12/08
Possible cause: Sarcoidosis - in the process of diagnosing

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 16th, 2009, 5:42 am

Thanks so much for that encouragement! I do love it. I learned when I was down in Florida
and have been dancing about ten years. Besides how much fun it is, you meet the nicest people, don't you?

codman59

Post by codman59 » May 16th, 2009, 11:06 am

Hi & Welcome, Elizabeth, from Eastern Canada.
Cardiomyapathy (reason unknown; suspect viral infection 1998), chf, gout, diabetes, asthma, bad hair.
Medtronics Virtuoso VR implanted Aug 28/08, single lead.

"The generation that would change the world is still looking for its car keys" - "The Rainmakers"

Craig

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 16th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Thanks Codman. I love Eastern Canada. My dad was born in the Adirondacks of French Canadian descent, and I lived in and loved those mountains about ten years. Would still be there except for how tough it is to make a living up there. Thanks for the welcome, I am so glad I found this site, it might help me keep whatever is left of my sanity :wink:

Thierry

Post by Thierry » May 16th, 2009, 2:59 pm

Elizabeth, welcome from another newcomer. This one is from California, shares the French name with you, but not the pair of "left feet" :wink:
Everybody here makes you fell at home very quickly. It is a good place to rest and learn.
Thierry
1st VT 4+6/4/09
Boston Scientific Teligen 4/7/09
arrhythmogenic RV cardiomyopathy
Amio+Sotalol, Epicardial ablation 7/1/10

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 16th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Thanks very much. How are you doing with all this? When did you get your implant?

Thierry

Post by Thierry » May 16th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Thank you. I got my ICD in April, and I am doing well, but I had a lot of lifestyle adjustments to be done quickly: it is why I love to have friends here with similar experiences.
Thierry
1st VT 4+6/4/09
Boston Scientific Teligen 4/7/09
arrhythmogenic RV cardiomyopathy
Amio+Sotalol, Epicardial ablation 7/1/10

karslake

Post by karslake » May 16th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Hi Elizabeth and welcome from an oldie in Western Australia. Old in years (76) also in being on this Board. It actually saved my sanity.

Eve & Blabbermouth 111

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 17th, 2009, 6:03 am

Hey, Eve. I enjoy your posts everywhere. I think you will make a great role model. I like your feistiness since you were 22 and told you didn't have long. Ya think?

MishL2367

Post by MishL2367 » May 18th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Welcome Elizabeth,
I am in Illinois, I have had an ICD for four years, the first one never fired, had it for three years, have had my new one since October and it inappropriately fired 22 times in 10 minutes at the end of January so I am the basket case of this group.
My opinion anyway. It was reset not to count my t waves and is probably fine, however, I am going through a very rough time. Some good days and some bad. I hope you remain the positive outgoing person you are and that your ICD never goes off. Do you look at it as a safety net but forget its there? i'll stop rambling now just wanted to say WELCOME :)
Postpartum Cardiomyopathy 4/04
2nd ICD 10/08 22 shocks Jan/09

Helen

Post by Helen » May 18th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Hi Elizabeth, I thought I had already welcomed you but I see that I didn't.. I think what happened is I sent you a PM in response to yours and thought I had come into the welcome site.. Anyway, welcome, welcome, welcome.. By looking at your picture I would never take you for 61.. you really do look fantastic.. I look forward to hearing a lot more from you. Love, Helen
Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together.

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 19th, 2009, 9:32 am

Thank you both, Mish and Helen. I feel like I am among friends, for sure. Mish, it is 3 weeks today on my operation. I am trying to adopt Chrissy's outlook and Helen's and more, that it is a guardian angel. I must admit, my position on the tightwire is precarious, though. It's all so new, and I feel like my wings have been seriously clipped since the heart failure set in, and now this. I know you all understand. So I CHOOSE to be optimistic and hope that I can keep it up, how's that (:

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » May 19th, 2009, 8:19 pm

:tooth: You are going so well Elizabeth, believe me it is not easy being optimistic at times, but the alternative drags me down and those around me. I do however allow myself to have my 'bad days', when I feel down I allow myself to wallow in it, I do not get dressed, slob around the house, cry and yell, eat chocolate or whatever I want, and believe it or not, I end up enjoying it. Mind you, make sure you are alone when you do it as it can disturb your nearest and dearest. I look at all this like grieving, we grieve for our loss of lifestyle, the impact of realizing we are mortal and that death is a reality, if not immediately but it is there in the future, hopefully a long way off, but there all the same. Not many mortals have this thrust in their face like we do, so we do need to allow ourselves to grieve, and realize it is a normal part of this illness.

But my saving grace has been my art and my daughter, I am a stubborn bitch and am determined to be a grandma before I give up, and then I will be too busy spoiling my grandchild to even think about anything else. (My Lauren is only 19 so I have a few years before that happens, I hope) Also, this site has been my saving grace. By sharing with all on here and the wonderful advice and friendship, and the positive examples of survival that we have, it has made a big difference. I have only been coming here regularly for about 6 months but it has made a huge difference to me. As you can see, I am a chatter, and this is a wonderful outlet for me, by sharing experiences and listening to others experiences I have become much more contented with my lot.

Love you,

Chrissy
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

wfd107

Post by wfd107 » May 19th, 2009, 8:42 pm

Hi Elizabeth,
Dont let the ICD bring you down. I have had mine for 14 months and have not let it keep me from smiling. I love every day! I went a little stir crazy when I got home from the hospital because they told me not to do anything or lift anything. I have never sat still, I worked 3 jobs and was always doing something. So last summer I spent alot of time hanging around the pool with my wife and kids. It was very enjoyable for me. Now I am rethinking the whole working thing. I had to retire from the fire department but still had my construction business. Now I am probably not going to do that either. I will take care of things around the house and lounge by the pool. Even this wont keep me from smiling. Everything is what you make of it. Dont let the defibrillator bring you down. It is very reassuring to have it there, since it saved me twice already. Keep being optomistic!

Erik
Elizabeth Martineau wrote:Thank you both, Mish and Helen. I feel like I am among friends, for sure. Mish, it is 3 weeks today on my operation. I am trying to adopt Chrissy's outlook and Helen's and more, that it is a guardian angel. I must admit, my position on the tightwire is precarious, though. It's all so new, and I feel like my wings have been seriously clipped since the heart failure set in, and now this. I know you all understand. So I CHOOSE to be optimistic and hope that I can keep it up, how's that (:
Erik
SCA 3/16/2008
Brugada Syndrome
ICD since March 2008

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » May 20th, 2009, 4:54 am

Thanks, everyone. Chrissy, being a grandma is great. I was a grandma at 40!

And Erik, thanks for your encouragement, too. I may be faced with not working any more, too, so I need to adjust to being so busy I never had time to breathe, to filling my days, albeit with a little less physical things. Thank God for the painting, it does give me a lot of release. I had to smile at your lounging by the pool. I think because I grew up next to the beach in Lauderdale, and everyone had pools, that it's not my thing any more. My son is still down there and if I feel the urge I can always go visit for a while, though (: I really love the mountains and the cold now.

Go figure.