Electrical work in an industrial facility

Posts from Jan. 1, 2009 to Dec 31, 2009

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

codman59

Re: Electrical work in an industrial facility

Post by codman59 » June 8th, 2009, 8:53 am

This same topic keeps popping up periodically, but that's a good thing... Every time it comes up, I learn something new about it from a member's personal experience. Great Group!!

Will send you that e-mail Clint... I was tied up with yard work all weekend.
Cardiomyapathy (reason unknown; suspect viral infection 1998), chf, gout, diabetes, asthma, bad hair.
Medtronics Virtuoso VR implanted Aug 28/08, single lead.

"The generation that would change the world is still looking for its car keys" - "The Rainmakers"

Craig

Clint

Post by Clint » June 8th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Eve - my sweet pal...there is always time for you to become a pofessional arc welder or 18 wheel truck driver if you want. With your drive and energy I am confident that you could become whatever you want to become.......

Carry on my friend........you got the best hand

Clint
I am trying to develop a lifestyle that does not require my presence.

karslake

Post by karslake » June 8th, 2009, 10:04 pm

Clint - doesn't always work that way, sad to say. I really wanted to be a dancer but after damaging my back, that was impossible!! Now - I think I'll just become a 'couch potato' !!

Eve & Blabbermouth 111

Clint

Post by Clint » June 8th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Eve - no doubt you'll be very good at it and look marvelous at the same time!!!!!

Clint
I am trying to develop a lifestyle that does not require my presence.

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » June 9th, 2009, 6:35 am

Yes, Eve, and we can name the dance, "Do the couch potato", and it's so easy, anyone can do it! It will be a close cousin to the mashed potato, which was probably one of the most insane dances ever.

Tony Folkes

Post by Tony Folkes » June 25th, 2009, 12:03 pm

Hi Boxhead.

Interesting reading Re. use and exposure to electrical kit. I stick and mig weld and use all manner of electrical tools for hobby use only. I am retired.
My ears pricked up when I read that you are a Drag Racer and hope to race again. ?????
I live in England (UK) I have raced a FF1600 for the last 30 yrs. I do my own maitainance, rebuildst, ransport to and from circuits etc myself. (Shoe String Racing) I am 71 this year.(Don't feel it) I had my ICD July 08. I have never felt better. The only complaint I have with the ICD is that it does carry illogical, unwarrented and unjustified stigmas with it. The DVLA and Motor Sports Association (MSA) in the UK impose serious restrictions if you have an ICD.
Perminently bars me from holding a Group 2 licence which would allow me to drive vehicles up to 7 1/2 tons. Need this for RV and trailer. Because of this the MSA refuse me a Competition licence. I am currently battling with the authorities with the help of a couple of Members of Our Parliament to see if I can get these restrictions for ICD patients Either over ruled or modified.
Both MPs are sympathetic to my plight. No good news for me to date.
Have a look at my thread on page 8
You can email me if wou wish a.folkes@onetel.net

Hope you have better luck obtaining a race licence than me if you do decide to race again.

All the best

Tony Folkes (Lotus 61 FF1600)

ICDkid

Post by ICDkid » June 26th, 2009, 12:58 am

Does Hoover Dam fall under this electromagnetic catagory to watch out for? Hi everyone, this is Garrett's mom, Sharon, with another one of my curious questions. I thought, who better to ask than a bunch of electricians??? Not to mention, race car drivers....that's so cool...
Curious as usual,
Sharon
Mom to Garrett
Orange County, CA
Sharon
Garrett's mom
Orange County, CA

"God only gives us what we can handle, I just wish he didn't trust me so much!"
~Mother Theresa

AlexK

Post by AlexK » June 26th, 2009, 10:22 am

They warn you about everything because they want you to be careful around everything. So I am. With that said after some testing -- getting close to things which may produce EMF slowly, in steps, with help around in case I have some problem -- I'm finding that darn little bothers me. (Oddly, those little security badge sweep tables at checkout lanes are the only thing I notice/feel, so far.) I work on airplane engines with magneto ignitions and various electrical "stuff." Nothing industrial-grade, but there you are. It's just another level of care.

Drag racing? Cool. I BMX race, but acknowledge that I may pass out when I least want to while doing it. I've always been a fan of drag racing, but I'd stick to the somewhat lower-performance stuff if only to keep my wall hitting down to a dull roar. With that in mind I'd give myself some months and again, ease up on it, to make sure I'm keeping with in limits.

That's really the thing: We have our robot hearts because of some limiting factor in our as-issued bodies, so it's a matter of keeping things within the limits from here on in, including the limits expressed by our implants. Since we're all a bit different, it's further a matter of easing up on our limits, if for no other reason than to not endanger others who might be counting on us.
August 1, 2007, died; CPR restored
August 3, 2007 implant Medtronic Pacemaker/Defibrillator
Coreg and Atacand daily
"In the end, everything is just a gag," -- Charlie Chaplin

boxhead

Post by boxhead » June 26th, 2009, 2:25 pm

I appreciate this forum, and it's kinda fun, too!
Well, so far, so good. I am back to work now and am doing OK.
I purchased a "TriField" meter from AlphaLab. This allows measurement of electrical fields (expressed in "volts per meter") and modulated magnetic fields from AC current (in milligauss). It is also capable of radio/microwave measurement as well.
At least where I work, it appears the major issue is going to be the magnetic fields. Unfortunately, the max range of the meter is only 100 milligauss, which is 1/10 of one Gauss. Since my Medtronics recommended limit is one Gauss, I have also ordered a ELF 40D meter from Walker Scientific. This will measure up to 2 Gauss.
Based on what I have seen so far, nothing I work with will be threatening unless the device gets really close (a foot or less) from the stronger magnetic sources. I'm very happy with this, because it did have the potential to affect my work. Electric welding isn't something I've tried; I was advised it's risky so it's still on the back burner, so to speak.
I had the privilege of taking the EMT's and Track Officials who saved me out to dinner last night. What a neat group of people; we had a good time! They all asked if I was going to return to racing. At a minimum, my Doctors have advised "no racing for 6 months" and I'm in agreement with this. I don't want to subject myself to that kind of excitement/stress right now. My primary concern is the safety of those around me. I just hope it all works out.
Thanks Again for all your help and interest! Sean

Mark

Post by Mark » June 26th, 2009, 3:05 pm

boxhead wrote:I appreciate this forum, and it's kinda fun, too!
Informative, fun, supportive, caring- You sure are right Sean!! This really is the best group there is- much love to all the members here that make this support group so special from any other! :D

codman59

Post by codman59 » June 26th, 2009, 5:55 pm

That's Great!! So glad to hear you're back to work and things are working out!
Cardiomyapathy (reason unknown; suspect viral infection 1998), chf, gout, diabetes, asthma, bad hair.
Medtronics Virtuoso VR implanted Aug 28/08, single lead.

"The generation that would change the world is still looking for its car keys" - "The Rainmakers"

Craig

turboz24

Post by turboz24 » June 26th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Just one more question: Would a thin metal shield possibly block or reduce EMF or Gauss transmission to an ICD? I really do miss welding, and wondered if such a device could keep potential interference from welding or other sources within Medtronic's limits.
I was simply told to keep the welding tip 12-24" away from my ICD. I have some a decent amount of welding on my MGB GT project car (inner fenders, filling holes, lights, about to start on fitment for the twin turbo V6 and adding some additional structure, etc) with no problem to date.

If you are worried, I'd simply not weld for more than 30 sec at a time or just make sure you are running a good bead.

IOPort51

Post by IOPort51 » June 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am

I know this is a pretty old post but the topic suits my question so here goes. If you are fitted with an ICD and you do wander into the proximity of a welding arc, generator, large 3 phase motor, or maybe an automotive ignition system and your ICD freaks out, does the ICD make you feel light headed or does it give you a mule kick to the chest kind of shock??

inquiring minds want to know.
Larry in Texas

Kat

Post by Kat » June 3rd, 2010, 11:56 am

Yes.

It could do some or all those things, that is why they say to stay away. I think it could also, depending on the type of device and interference, reprogram your device so that it is no longer set to the values your doctor wants to monitor/shock.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » June 3rd, 2010, 12:06 pm

I agree with Kat. It would not be a problem for many just passing through, but why take the chance if you can help it. We have sever on here who work around heavy electrical equipment and have had no problems. I understand that the electromagnetic source CAN/May shut us down. I don't want to be shut down. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.