An Interesting Statistic

Posts from Jan. 1, 2009 to Dec 31, 2009

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

Lazydays

An Interesting Statistic

Post by Lazydays » June 30th, 2009, 11:07 am

I went for a treadmill test this afternoon which went well. Also got the result of an echo that I had a while back.................I have an EF of about 45 which is about the same figure following my MI in '94. All in all - at the moment I am feeling pretty good.

Whilst chatting to the Cardio about my ICD he told me that only about 1 in 12 ICD's that are fitted ever deliver a 'shock'. I found that quite a statistic. He stated that most heart problems are controlled by drugs (which I was aware of). The thing is, if the ICD does 'fire' keeps you alive.

Anyone else find the low ICD shock delivery rate surprising?
Gary

Life Can Sometimes Be A Shocking Experience

March 1994 - MI
June 2003 - Stent
July 2008 - VT - Stent & ICD fitted
Dec 2008 - Appropriate shock
Sept 2011 - Ventricular Ablation (failed)
May 2012 - Ventricular Ablation
May 2013 - Ventricular Ablation (failed to induce VT )
June 2014 - Ventricular Ablation
25mg Spirolactone
5mg Bisoprolol
10mg Ramipril
40mg Pravastatin
Warfarin
Disopyramide - 400 mg

markokc4863

Re: An Interesting Statistic

Post by markokc4863 » June 30th, 2009, 11:15 am

I would find that to be pretty true in my opinion. Even my EP told me that most won't ever shock you. I would like to think that my one shock will be my only LOL!!
Mark

Medtronic Virtuoso DR
Sudden Cardiac Death - 5/7/2008 (my wedding anniversary)
ICD Implant - 5/9/2008
First Shock - 6/9/2008

don

Post by don » June 30th, 2009, 11:15 am

Yes, it's surprising to me. I don't think that statistic will hold up in our little community, but I've never actually done a study here. It might be interesting to find out though probably not significant because we have people with new implants mixed with people with older implants.

don

Paul S

Post by Paul S » June 30th, 2009, 11:38 am

Well we could start an informal poll. Mine has fired 8 times since 12/2/2002 when it was implanted. Five of those have been for dangerous arrythmias, and three times for Sudden Cardiac Arrest. I have only had two SCA's but the second one took two shocks to get me back to a normal rhythm.

Happy to be here. Thanks Medtronic

Cheers, Paul S
Paul S, 76, Original ICD 12/2/2002 - Bi-Ventricular ICD 4/5/2010 - A/V Nodal Ablation 6/7/2010 - Bi-Ventricular ICD 4/30/2014 - Atrial Fibrillation, Coronary Artery Disease, Ischemic Cardiomyopathy, Ventricular Tachycardia

Amiodarone, Aspirin, Carvedilol, Digoxin, Furosemide (As Needed), Nitro (Slow Release) Losartan, Warfarin, Zolpidem, Wine, Dark Chocolates, Green Teas, Walnuts, Almonds, & Select Imported and Micro-brewed ales.

Maturity Is Highly Overrated

markokc4863

Post by markokc4863 » June 30th, 2009, 11:40 am

don wrote:Yes, it's surprising to me.I don't think that statistic will hold up in our little community, but I've never actually done a study here. It might be interesting to find out though probably not significant because we have people with new implants mixed with people with older implants.

don
You're right Don, not a chance here LOL.
Mark

Medtronic Virtuoso DR
ICD Implant - 5/9/2008
First Shock - 6/9/2008

markokc4863

Post by markokc4863 » June 30th, 2009, 11:41 am

Paul S wrote:Well we could start an informal poll. Mine has fired 8 times since 12/2/2002 when it was implanted. Five of those have been for dangerous arrythmias, and three times for Sudden Cardiac Arrest. I have only had two SCA's but the second one took two shocks to get me back to a normal rhythm.

Happy to be here. Thanks Medtronic

Cheers, Paul S
Yeah why not...would be interesting. Mine has fired once since I've had mine for about 14 months now.
Mark

Medtronic Virtuoso DR
ICD Implant - 5/9/2008
First Shock - 6/9/2008

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » June 30th, 2009, 11:50 am

How long is the time which has passed since implantation, if we are part of the survey? I haven't received a real shock yet, but only have had it two months.

Smart Red

Post by Smart Red » June 30th, 2009, 12:13 pm

Just to be straight on this. We're counting fired or not fired. . . not how many times one person was fired [upon], right? How long will the survey run? Are those who have had a shock more likely to be active members here than those who have not 'heard' from their device would? That would skew the results. Do we count every member who responds? or only those who have had their device for a year or longer? 6 mos.? It might be interesting info for new members who are worried about their personal 'odds'.

Count me as one of the 11/12 who have NOT had a shock.

Smart Red

~guin

Post by ~guin » June 30th, 2009, 12:26 pm

I don't want to jinx myself here but....

I have been shock free since implant - almost 10 years ago.....
~guinImage :hrt :hrt :hrt :hrt :hrt
http://icdusergroup.org
Familial Dilated Cardiomyopathy
Sub Pectoral ICD Implant 9/1999
Medtronic Dual Chamber Evera XT DR
Replaced: 3/2000, 3/2006 & 9/2013

'Folks can be as happy as they make up their minds to be.' - Abraham Lincoln

TravelingMan

Post by TravelingMan » June 30th, 2009, 12:55 pm

I agree with Don that in this group the rate is probably higher than 1 in 12. However, I also agree with your cardiologist that worldwide the number is probably 1 in 12. We're a relatively small group, 818 total members. I don't have any exact numbers but a quick search found that 163,000 ICDs were implanted worldwide in 2004. Another article said in Western Europe alone 63,000 were implanted in 2006 and another 85,100 in 2008. So I would guesstimate there are several million people with ICDs implanted.

I think, and it won't hurt my feelings if anybody disagrees, that there are a lot of people with ICDs that don't have any problems with them, whose arrythmias are successfully controlled by meds. As the technology for the ICD gets better, doctors get more experience with ICDs and heart disease, it seems to me that there would be less shocks per capita.

As we all get older and start nearing end of life issues I'm not sure the number of shocks for the group won't climb. I'm hoping by then the technology will advance enough to spare us a lot of that.

melland

Post by melland » June 30th, 2009, 1:59 pm

My cardiologist told me similar numbers - 9 out of 10 never deliver the shock. But if you are that 1, then you want the device on your side.

Given the statistics that Traveling Man has cited, we are indeed a very small slice of the implanted community.
Tim

ICD = I Can't Die

Medtronics Concerto - October 23, 2008 reached end of service 13 December 2013
Medtronics Viva S - 13 December 2013

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that!

DonnaB

Post by DonnaB » June 30th, 2009, 2:37 pm

I've had my ICD 13 months and have had 2 sets of shocks.The first epsiode I was shocked twice and the second episode I was shocked 3 times.All were appropriate.

DonnaB

Mark

Post by Mark » June 30th, 2009, 2:39 pm

Well, I do agree that a study on this board would definitely be slanted, like Guin said I am sure there are members that have never had a shocks yet.

I hang on the fact that with newer and promising developments with stem-cell research and other advancing technology that many if not most of these problems can be halted without an ICD and without medications. You may say that I am a dreamer, but think about 25 years ago- dangerous arrhythmia was a death sentence and living life was a crap shoot before ICD's, and in even less time then that HIV was a death sentence: not any more and I could cite many more diseases and problems that medical technology have greatly improved or solved.

Who is to say that a development of a shock-less ICD won't be developed, perhaps finding another way to stop dangerous arrhythmia, or as i stated earlier, stem cell research.

Wouldn't it be great if one day we could all find ease in cures for what ails us now? I guess being a health professional makes me think that way, but you can rest assured that I will never give up hope. :)

BTW, 5 shocks since Feb 2006, all inappropriate (A-Fib)

Helen

Post by Helen » June 30th, 2009, 3:00 pm

I think a lot of people with ICDs who don't have any shocks do not come here looking for support. It seems to me that most people in our group either have had a shock and came into the group for support as to how to handle it or have to make a decision as to whether to have the ICD implanted,,, or as I came into the old Zapper group with lots of questions when I had SCD and had never heard of ICDs. Thank God I did come in with my questions because when I was alone in the house and having my first shock storm I kept remembering group members like Eve, Allen, Don, etc. who had talked about their experiences and survived to tell about it online. The way this group has grown so swiftly and is still growing each day is sure to help lots of bionic people. Anyway, I'm beginning to ramble again so bye. Love, Helen
Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together.

lweismille

Post by lweismille » June 30th, 2009, 3:13 pm

I had my ICD implanted May 4, 2009. I have been shocked three times, the last one saved my life. Its now been a month since my last shock. I pray that the Meds are keeping me in line - hopefully no more shocks.
St Jude ICD implanted May 4, 2009
First shock May 28, 2009
Major VT May 29, 2009