Cost of ICD

Posts from Jan. 1, 2009 to Dec 31, 2009

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

M.Laurel

Re: Cost of ICD

Post by M.Laurel » September 12th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Judy, when I had my ICD replaced with a dual model and leads, the total hospital bill was $71,000+ total. Of course Medicare only paid $22,552 and the hospital had to write off $47,422. No wonder doctors hate to see Medicare patients coming. I am so thankful though that I have insurance and Medtronic paid all of my out of pocket expenses. I couldn't imagine not having insurance. In the past, I have been able to get financial assistance through the hospitals (talk with the billing department regarding any eligibility requirements). In WV you are required to apply for Medicaid and be denied to be eligible for assistance with the big hospitals. The Lord has always provided for me. Do you have any insurance to help with the cost?
Susan

JR1966

Post by JR1966 » September 12th, 2009, 8:20 pm

Bob,Mel's case is yet another example why the U.S.A must do something.I am not saying that the Obama plan is right or wrong so this is not political.America is the richest country in the world and yet your healthcare for the non-insured is of a third world standard.It should be a national disgrace but so many Americans don't seem to care.America is such a religious country,assuming God is real I think we know what he would want.Not looking after the uninsured is immoral and goes against Gods teachings.No-one can dispute that.It seems from reading the international news that a lot(not all)of Americans would rather send out for another pizza rather than pay for this.Your country openly invites people from South America in by leaving your borders open with nothing more than token efforts to stop them coming.How can these people afford health insurance?If America doesn't want to insure them then get serious and close the border.America is a great country and Australia follows her into every battle but on this issue she should hang her head in shame.
I realize this may offend some of you and I am sorry for that but it what I truly believe.

Melchan08

Post by Melchan08 » September 12th, 2009, 9:17 pm

Yes, I do go to college which actually makes it harder for me to find help. I am not in poverty but am not rich ( kind of in a limbo). I am not poor enough for aid, but not rich enough to pay out of pocket. Also, did I mention my brother also has a heart condition with an ICD...It is a situation alot of people I know are in. I really want this health care plan to come through. I take medications that are very expensive without insurance, but without them I will need immediate hospitalization. No fun at all.
The thing I hate most is when people think that the the people without health insurance are lazy bums, with no jobs. My family planned the best we could, my mom was a stay at home mom and my dad had a great well paying job with awesome insurance. Then my father died, and that year they found my brothers and I's heart condition... No one will pick us up and my family are not lazy/ goverment mouchers. It is easy to lose the person who you rely on for insurance, and it is not the families fault.
toungueee toungueee toungueee
Mel

david1

Post by david1 » September 12th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Mel,,

Sorry to hear abt ur situation. I am wondering if ur mom is working now, if she is then, maybe u and ur brother can get coverage under your mom's insurance plan,, just something to explore.

God bless us all always.

David1

david1

Post by david1 » September 12th, 2009, 10:15 pm

JR,

We are the most compassionate and giving nation . In USA if u go to a hospital in an emergency, then the hospital is bound to treat u whether u r illegal in the country, whether u have insurance coverage or not. ITS THE LAW. I wonder what the austrailians do in this situation, I hope they don't let the person die, now that would definitely be against God's teachings. Im sorry to say i have read other posts from u where u don't miss a chance to put down other ethnic groups. . Earlier i read ur post where u were criticizing the Indian Tech center. They atleast speak good english,, how many of us speak a word of Indian languages. Your example of us rather ordering pizza is laughable. We are a nation of immigrants and darn proud of it. Please stop criticizing other ethnic groups. We read all the time, where there are many racially motivated attacks on immigrants in austraillia,

God bless us all always.

David

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » September 12th, 2009, 11:12 pm

Ouch! I didn't read JR's comments in the same fashion. I think we maybe moving a bit off this topic. I also think any US health care/insurance observations may better fit in at an existing, albeit recent thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4996
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

JR1966

Post by JR1966 » September 12th, 2009, 11:17 pm

David
I did not say that America is not a compassionate and giving nation.I wrote that on THIS ISSUE America should do better.Your food aid program is well known.
The emergency room situation that you mention is also the law here.In Australia if for example Mel was diagnosed as needing an icd and due a family tragedy she didn't have insurance it wouldn't matter.Straight in to hospital for the icd at absolutely no charge,zero.The medicine that comes with the icd costs $5 per month.That's it.That is compassion David.
You claim I criticize other ethnic groups.Your calling me a racist!A large number of the uninsured in America are Blacks,Hispanics and other minorities.Not giving them insurance reeks of racism David.What about your governments response to Hurricane Katrina.We sat here night after night watching those poor mostly black people dying pleading for help.I guarantee if that had happened in a rich white area the response would have been immediate.You talk to me about racism.
You claim you are a believer.Please answer this question.Do you believe that your God would want these minorities to have quality health cover?Put aside any political views you may have because that is the question that you should be asking yourself.These are the minorities that you claim your so proud of David.

JR1966

Post by JR1966 » September 12th, 2009, 11:36 pm

David,how do you get to call me a racist over this?

Hi everyone,given that we all use computers I think this is a relevant topic.I have been using the Norton 360 for 10 months now.In the past 8 weeks or so it has been nothing but trouble.The story is to long to go into other to say that Norton have given me 2 months free onto my subscription.Of course I took it but I have no intention of giving them another $120 for a new subscription and don't even get me started on Indian call centers.Being able to speak English doesn't mean you understand English.ARGGHH!!!It's been a nightmare.
Anyway,what are you all using and would you recommend it?Thank you

myred

Post by myred » September 13th, 2009, 8:20 am

Mel, not sure what state you live in, but if you lived in Pennsylvania, you would probably qualify for a program called Gateway. My daughter is now to old for me to insure (26), she is going to college, working a part time job and she is on Gateway. It is a state sponsored health insurance program and pays 100% for everything. If you have not yet, check with your state and see if they have some kind of program. Allot of states do not freely advertise them. Don't feel bad about having to go on a program like Gateway, it is people like you that I want some of my tax dollars to go to. We all need help at some point.

Don
If you think things can’t get worse it’s probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.

Major heart attack. Diagnosed with CAD and Cardiomyopathy 5/28/2009.
5 stents installed 5/28/2009
2'nd heart attack. 2 stents installed 5/16/2012
EF low 15%. Seen as high as 40%. Currently about 30.
Stage C/3 CHF
BS Teligen E102 ICD 8/28/2009. Became defective and replaced with a BS E141 in May of 2015.
Married to Kim for 31 years, my best friend, my caretaker, my love, my life.

oldhippie

Post by oldhippie » August 24th, 2011, 6:31 pm

In 2005 I had a Guidant Contak Renewal 3 put in at the Durham, NC Veterans Hospital. Doctor(s) from Duke University Hospital came over and did the surgery. The VA contracts with them. No cost to me. The VA actually paid for my gas to and from South Carolina. They even put my sister up for two nights at the Brookwood Inn across the street.

In May of 2011 I got a Boston Scientific COGNIS 100-D to replace the Guidant (battery getting low). I Googled my Boston Scientific COGNIS 100-D, found a GSA government contract which pays $39,XXX (about $40,000) to Boston Scientific for each one.

I'm a disable veteran and have no insurance. Yes, the VA bills one's insurance company or Social Security if you have now days, just like a regular hospital would do. However, they pick up the deductible, if any.

Back in 2006 I found out about the recall. My Guidant was on the recall but only if the battery was prematurely going dead, mine was not. I heard through the grape vine they were paying people like me about $40,000 (NOTE: unpublished). I hired a lawyer and he failed to file the court papers by the cut-off date and I got nothing! I tried to hire a lawyer to sue the first lawyer and no one would touch it with a 10 foot pole!

Nasty lawyer joke withheld. ruhroh

SkaterGirlBrooke

Post by SkaterGirlBrooke » August 24th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Mine has been quoted at $110,000 without insurance and $25,000 if I had insurance. I cannot get insurance, and so I don't have my ICD and my sister died waiting to be approved as well. America.

If I could get about $12,000 together I could get it done in India, at a JCI (like FDA) approved hospital and with the best docs. They offer new model St Jude and Boston Sci. I have already been offered quotes and stuff, and travel and personal guide, driver, nurse are included. This is what I am hoping for. The follow-ups can be done at a low cost place near me, as interrogations have nowhere near the cost of the placement because of the device itself costing so much. Hoping to get it to together but I have people needing my money and care right now. How odd that India can get the stuff so much cheaper, but the quality is the same and the ICD supplier is the same, as well as mostly US trained docs. My guy in India told me they negotiated the device cost down to $8,000, from over 100k.
Brooke
About Me:
LQTS,PSVT, VT
SCA X 3 June 2011, X2 Sept, Oct '11 SCA X2 Nov/Dec '11
VT, VF June 2011, Oct '11, Nov '11, Dec '11
Cardiogenic Syncope-6 times Nov '10
Class IA Indications for ICD...waiting on red tape
Metoprolol 350 mg/day
Procan SR (Procainamide...scary stuff)

oldhippie

Post by oldhippie » August 24th, 2011, 6:55 pm

SkaterGirlBrooke wrote:Mine has been quoted at $110,000 without insurance and $25,000 if I had insurance. I cannot get insurance, and so I don't have my ICD and my sister died waiting to be approved as well. America.
Hang in there, ObamaCare is right around the corner, 2014 I think I heard it kicks in. "a chicken in every pot" :flagwave: :runn:
Sorry, bad joke. ME BAD!

SkaterGirlBrooke

Post by SkaterGirlBrooke » August 25th, 2011, 12:03 am

oldhippie wrote:
SkaterGirlBrooke wrote:Mine has been quoted at $110,000 without insurance and $25,000 if I had insurance. I cannot get insurance, and so I don't have my ICD and my sister died waiting to be approved as well. America.
Hang in there, ObamaCare is right around the corner, 2014 I think I heard it kicks in. "a chicken in every pot" :flagwave: :runn:
Sorry, bad joke. ME BAD!
and then I'll be forced to buy insurance but they don't mention it will cost more for those with medical problems...so then I'll end up in jail for non-payment. can't wait. Oh yea not to mention 2014 is a while away and I already died 3x last month and they said I should get it done within 2 months or have a 80% chance of another SCA....eh.
Brooke
About Me:
LQTS,PSVT, VT
Metoprolol 350 mg/day

oldhippie

Post by oldhippie » August 25th, 2011, 8:09 am

SkaterGirlBrooke wrote:and then I'll be forced to buy insurance but they don't mention it will cost more for those with medical problems...so then I'll end up in jail for non-payment. can't wait. Oh yea not to mention 2014 is a while away and I already died 3x last month and they said I should get it done within 2 months or have a 80% chance of another SCA....eh.
I don't know your particulars but sounds like you should apply to SS Disability if you haven't already.

SkaterGirlBrooke

Post by SkaterGirlBrooke » August 25th, 2011, 11:23 am

oldhippie wrote:
SkaterGirlBrooke wrote:and then I'll be forced to buy insurance but they don't mention it will cost more for those with medical problems...so then I'll end up in jail for non-payment. can't wait. Oh yea not to mention 2014 is a while away and I already died 3x last month and they said I should get it done within 2 months or have a 80% chance of another SCA....eh.
I don't know your particulars but sounds like you should apply to SS Disability if you haven't already.
Thanks, but I haven't lived long enough to work long enough.
Brooke
About Me:
LQTS,PSVT, VT
Metoprolol 350 mg/day