Dental Work

Posts from Jan. 1, 2009 to Dec 31, 2009

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

Manxman

Dental Work

Post by Manxman » November 15th, 2009, 8:15 am

Hi Everyone,
Just thought i'd see if any of you out there have had , since having your ICD fitted and the subsequent regime of medications to follow ,any dental problems?..
I recently had to have a prominent upper right tooth extracted due to its decay and it loss of strength caused by gum problems..This led to an infection which was really painful and the extraction was the only option...
My dental surgeon mentioned that the Bisoprolol Fumate I take doesn't really help the bone density and the calcium etc....
are there any supplements I could take to help?....he gave me a mouth wash to use on a regular basis to ease the gum pain...
Turns out i've gotta have lots more work done in the chair !! :(
Ventricular Tachycardia
ICD Model - Two lead Medtronic Maximo II
Implant date - 6th June 2009

Logic will get you from A to B , Imagination will take you everywhere.

Sparkydog

Re: Dental Work

Post by Sparkydog » November 15th, 2009, 8:44 am

My cardiologist said no Cavitron (the device used to sonically clean teeth). I've had a crown put on one tooth, which meant the doctor pretty much destroyed the top tooth, and one root canal, all with no problem. I'd suggest you ring your cardiologist's nurse and ask her to check with him or her regarding restrictions.

Ron

ps Nitrous is fabulous stuff during these procedures!

~guin

Post by ~guin » November 15th, 2009, 12:17 pm

NO Epinephrine! That stuff makes your heart race!!!

I called the manufacturer of my device and they told me nothing in the dental office can hurt me or my ICD... I still stay away from the Cavitron as it is unnerving to me... It is also a trip that my Dentist is left handed and works over my ICD.... Getting use to that!

I do take 2,000mg of antibiotic before dental procedures because of my heart condition, but other than that I have not had any more dental problems then before I was diagnosed with a heart condition more than 10 years ago...

I hate the dental chair so I wish you well with all the time you have ahead of you in that chair!
~guinImage :hrt :hrt :hrt :hrt :hrt
http://icdusergroup.org
Familial Dilated Cardiomyopathy
Sub Pectoral ICD Implant 9/1999
Medtronic Dual Chamber Evera XT DR
Replaced: 3/2000, 3/2006 & 9/2013

'Folks can be as happy as they make up their minds to be.' - Abraham Lincoln

Carl Portman

Post by Carl Portman » November 15th, 2009, 12:49 pm

I am utterly useless in as much as I cannot give you specific examples BUT...

I visited my dentist and hygienist last week for the first time since having my ICD implanted. Both of them said YES there are instruments that they could use (in the future if I needed treatment) that could affect my ICD and both said they would never use them.

I cannot recall for the life of me what they were. Proceed with caution is my message to everyone.

Carl
Right Ventricular Dysplasia
St. Jude ICD implanted 28 September 2009
Ablation on 5th January 2011
Ablation on 26 October 2011
Sotalol and Mexilitine tablets
St Jude generator replacement on 02 January 2014

Sparkydog

Post by Sparkydog » November 15th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Guin, one benefit to having the ICD is that my cardiologist forbid the use of the Cavitron. I never liked them: they make me very uncomfortable. Hand cleaning works just fine with me.

Ron

kristinzzz

Post by kristinzzz » November 15th, 2009, 6:32 pm

What an excellent question. I need some dental work very soon and this is very good to know!

Thanks folks~ eeekeeek

Kristin
ICD Medtronic Implanted October 2005
2nd ICD Medtronic Protecta Implanted June 2012 (Fidelis Lead removed/fractured)
3rd ICD ST JUDE implanted in April 2018
10 Shock Storm/ Feb. 2008
Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy

Mark

Post by Mark » November 15th, 2009, 6:47 pm

:::Writing down no Cavitron::::

Yep, I will be visiting the dentist soon, and have to remember that. Was told by the cardiologist i didn't need antibiotics for a cleaning but that was before my triple cocktail of blood thinners...I bleed easily and he might change his mind? Anyone else on the big thinner regime and have any problems?

:expld"

david1

Post by david1 » November 15th, 2009, 7:39 pm

My dentist/hygienist use cavitron most of the time without any problem. I have never had any problem. If u have medtronics ICD, call them and they will email/fax u the guidelines. I do take 2000mg of antibiotics amoxillin. But my cardio did not allow me to have gum surgery, So instead of surgery i wound up with a deeeeeeeepppppp cleaning ( OUCH). I am on warfarin.

God bless us all always

david1

markokc4863

Post by markokc4863 » November 16th, 2009, 3:42 pm

They have used the Cavitron on me several times since my ICD was implanted. Dr's. never told me I couldn't use it and it doesn't bother me.
Mark

Medtronic Virtuoso DR
Sudden Cardiac Death - 5/7/2008 (my wedding anniversary)
ICD Implant - 5/9/2008
First Shock - 6/9/2008

flyingcamel

Post by flyingcamel » November 16th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Cavitron is fine. See document below on Medtronic web site, under Medical/Dental Procedures. The only concern in the dentist office is oral surgery using electrocautery.

http://www.medtronic.com/wcm/groups/mdt ... bility.pdf
Cameron Kaszas
Medtronic Technical Services

karslake

Post by karslake » November 16th, 2009, 10:07 pm

Since having my ICD and any dental work done, my dentist always puts me on a short course of anti-biotics.
In January, though, I didn't have them. Had just come out of hospital - pumped full of morphine - when I blacked out on my brick back porch. Fell on my face and my lower jaw knocked out and smashed all my upper teeth! That afternoon, my dentist cut out all the remaining roots - and in spite of my blood thinners I only bled until about 3am the next morning.
That's for you, Mark.
Eve & Blabbermouth 111

Manxman

Post by Manxman » November 17th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Many thanks to you all for your interesting comments...I'll take on board all you have said and have a bit more background when i'm discussing my ongoing treatment..... :wink:
My 5 minutes in the chair yesterday was cut short due to the fact that the infection from the abcess/extraction has not fully healed...gotta go back in a fortnight...and keep using the mouthwash/warm salty water rinses until then...
The good news was that my new oral surgeon is now liasoning with my cardiologist as to the next step of action....
speak soon
Ventricular Tachycardia
ICD Model - Two lead Medtronic Maximo II
Implant date - 6th June 2009

Logic will get you from A to B , Imagination will take you everywhere.

Leah

Post by Leah » November 17th, 2009, 4:04 pm

Hello all,
What is Cavitron? Hope all is well Take Care
Leah

Sparkydog

Post by Sparkydog » November 17th, 2009, 6:49 pm

A Cavitron is an evil device which is used to do routine teeth cleanings in some Dentist offices. It has its roots in the middle ages when torture was routine. It is like a small hook that dentists used to scrape teeth clean from deposits which accumulate between visits, but it is electrically powered and some EPs or cardiologists are uncomfortable with its use on ICD wearers.

Ron

flyingcamel

Post by flyingcamel » November 18th, 2009, 9:51 am

A cavitron is a dental tool that uses high frequency sound waves to clean teeth.

High frequency sound waves do not interfere with ICDs or pacemakers. There is no current introduced into the body, nor any electromagnetic fields radiated.

EPs and cardiologists and dentists that are worried about them need to educate themselves.
Cameron Kaszas
Medtronic Technical Services