PVC's ????

All posts from Jan 1, 2006 thru Dec 31, 2006

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Carl

PVC's ????

Post by Carl » December 19th, 2006, 3:12 pm

We have talked about PVC's in the past & I'd like to get your feed back again.
The reason is this....Many of you know that my EP & Cardiologist are high on my list of FAVORITE people. They are truly great caring doctors. They, as well as my GP are all affilliated with the Cleveland Clinic & anyone that has read my prior post know that I believe CCF is among the best.(If not the Best)
This brings me to the point of my question for all of you..... Do you feel your PVC's & can you discribe how they feel? The reason I ask is because during an office visit with my GP we were discussing medications & I suggested adding Varapimil. He questioned why I would consider that additional med. Actually, it was because of a conversation with Don & he suggested that I research it for myself & talk to my doctors about it. I read over 100 case studies & in about 80% of the cases the discomfort, intensity, frequency & duration of the PVC's were lessened if not completely eliminated.
I need to prefice my GP's comment....... In 2001 this doctor saved my life by recognising the symptoms I was having & got me to the hospital. EP study & ICD and you know the rest... He will be our GP as long as he practices and or I live which ever comes first. He has seen me thru several related heart situations & my Heidi's bout with Cancer. He has always been there. Caring, understanding, willing to listen & explain his evaluations. His comment about PVC's was "PVC's don't hurt". Well, to say the least I was amazed. He & I haven't always agreed, but on that statement there's no middle ground as far as I'm concerned. MINE HURT!
So, if you all that are affected by PVC's would be so kind as to share your experiences with PVC's & PAC's I would appreciate it.
CONTINUE TO CONTINUE
CARL

Mark

Post by Mark » December 19th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Hi Carl,

I am one of the ones that they don't hurt, hell I don't even know if I am having them unless I take my pulse. No lightheaded feeling, no thump, no pain. And i have a lot- my last three month report I was about 180,000 plus PVC's for the 3 months.

But I agree with you if they hurt and there is a medication out there that can help, by all means- TELL THEM TO LET YOU HAVE IT! Unless it is contraindicated in some way at least have them let you try it. If it works, no more of the painful feelings form PVC's and lets put it this way- with al the PVC's I have, if I felt them i would definitely get my cardiologist on top of it with medications. Good luck Carl, I am sure your doctors will see what the right thing is to do. Enjoy the holidays! :)

lead

Post by lead » December 19th, 2006, 5:23 pm

The only time I know I'm having them is when I am having an EKG and they show up on the screen or tracing.

It's been a while, but I was taken off Verapimil shortly after it became generic because it was linked to some deaths. I thought it had been removed from the market. Guess not.

karslake

Post by karslake » December 19th, 2006, 6:48 pm

Hi Carl,

No my PVCs don't hurt, but I can feel them - sometimes they make me feel a bit anxious or panicky, but no pain.

Good luck
Eve & Blabbermouth 111

don

Post by don » December 19th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Your doctor obvously doesn't suffer from PVC's. Many, if not most, people can't feel PVC's. Some of us can. They can be quite uncomfortable. In certain circumstances they can be life threatening, though those cases are rare. It certainly doesn't hurt anything to quieten them down.

don

Momof2HeartKids
Forum Moderator

Post by Momof2HeartKids » December 19th, 2006, 10:14 pm

Katie was one of the ones who could never feel her pvcs. I think it may have been because she had them her entire life she didnt know any different. But if you feel yours than you do, no one can tell you that you dont. I am convinced that some people are just more in tune with what is going on inside their bodies than others, maybe you are one of them. What did he say about the med? Did you start it?
Wishing You a Zap Free Day,
Cyndie

(Brugada Syndrome, Long QT Syndrome, Sick Sinus Syndrome, ICD & 2 children one with Brugada, ICD and one with Brugada, Long QT and removed ICD due to staph)

mkc050680

Post by mkc050680 » December 20th, 2006, 10:49 am

My husband can definietly feel his PVC's and they make him quite anxious - although he hasnt had any in about 7-8 months or maybe he is just less aware of them now. In the beginning, he could feel them at night when he was laying on the couch. I dont think they hurt -but he is definietly aware of them. Good luck!

PaulDC

Post by PaulDC » December 21st, 2006, 12:23 pm

Carl

As time passes on, from when I suffered my Cardiac Arrest back in August of 2005, I feel less and less of my PVC's. I barely even notice them anymore, I am sure they are happening but maybe I am just getting used them and maybe I am also not as obsessed with every heart beat like I have been in the past.

They have never hurt in the past but they have been annoying. I typically only feel them as I lay awake in bed at night.

I usually never feel any PVC’s while I am awake and moving about.

I have been taking Verapamil from day one, I have moned in the past that it really make me lazy and tired much of the time. I recently went from 300mg down to 240mg and have feeling much better physically and emotionally. I know I probably shouldn’t complain about it especially when I read about the other meds and their side effects.

Hope this helps!
PaulDC

"Short-Coupled Torsades de Pointes Ventricular Tachycardia" - ICD Implanted 09/03/05
...whatever time I've got left now belongs to the big fella uptairs - Ronald Reagan

don

Post by don » December 21st, 2006, 12:44 pm

Paul, have you tried a smaller dosage? I take 120mg once a day (at night) and it keeps the PVC's well in check for me. That dosage doesn't give me any noticable side effects.

Just wondering. We may have talked about this before.

don

PaulDC

Post by PaulDC » December 21st, 2006, 1:03 pm

Don

To be honest with you... I have been flirting with the idea of not taking it all and see how I do. When I visit my Dr. early next year I was going to see what kind of response I would get from him when I ask him to rid me of this medicine or put me on a lower dose?

Paul
PaulDC

"Short-Coupled Torsades de Pointes Ventricular Tachycardia" - ICD Implanted 09/03/05
...whatever time I've got left now belongs to the big fella uptairs - Ronald Reagan

don

Post by don » December 21st, 2006, 4:17 pm

Hi Paul

You might consider tapering down rather than quitting all at once. It really is a good medicine for PVC's.

don

Kathy B

Post by Kathy B » December 21st, 2006, 6:13 pm

Carl I have had PVC's for so long that they have become a way of life for me. When they coupled with the afib I noticed them more and the v tach felt like the world was ending. I only pay attention to them when I am short of breath or they seem to be in my throat. I took Verapamil for years and years and they did take me off it once they did the ablations. I can't even remember the dose and we did increase it and then decrease it since the side effects would be more pronounced. The Drs did discontinue the digoxin when I got the ICD.
Kathy B
Four open heart surgeries
Lung surgery for paralyzed diaphragm
Seven stents
Stroke
Brain bleed
Pacemaker upgraded to ICD due to SCD episode
Multiple ablations but back in afib 24/7
Loss of my spouse Jim 6-17-2008
Meeting a new Jim
Marry Jim 9-26-2009
New ICD, Concerto and Fidelis lead removal 12-11-2009

Cynaburst

Post by Cynaburst » December 21st, 2006, 8:27 pm

I feel my PVCs, and while they are not painful, they are extremely uncomfortable and noticeable. They are very disarming, because I feel my heart leap every time I experience one. I was recently having an EKG, and said "I just had a PVC, right?" and the tech couldn't believe I felt it. Before I had my ICD, every time I felt a PVC, I would wonder if this was the end. Now, I am less anxious, but they are definitely noticeable, and I can't ignore them.

I recently had a few short runs of A fib after open heart surgery, and they were awful. I could tell exactly when my heart went back into sinus and when it left.

Some people can definitely feel these things.