Just wondering.

All posts from Jan 1, 2006 thru Dec 31, 2006

Moderators: freckles1880, Suzanne, ~guin, Eric, Moderators

lead

Just wondering.

Post by lead » December 20th, 2006, 10:47 am

In light of what happened to Jake this week, do any of you have any experience with airbag impact with the chest? I presume that since the driver's side seat belt rubs over the top of my ICD, that impact with the ICD itself would be minimal. I am vertically challenged and have to sit closer to the steering wheel than most guys. I seldom ride as a passenger, but with the seatbelt coming over the right shoulder the unit would be more exposed.

I may be making something out of nothing since I am fortunate to never have had any experience with airbags.

Kat

Post by Kat » December 20th, 2006, 11:06 am

I think in Jake's case, he had to have his unit placed in his abdomin due to his age/size. I am not sure what this placement did to the stress on the leads.

I know that several people had discussed putting a pad on the seat belt. This might help in impact situations.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » December 21st, 2006, 4:59 am

If I recall correctly my team said no airbag for 1-2 months, may have been the same as with driving that was 90 days. Has to do with the type of lead and placement of them also. The sudden movement caused with the airbag hitting your chest may move the ICD enough to pull a lead loose is the concern I think.

don

Post by don » December 21st, 2006, 12:57 pm

I have treated many auto accident victims. I've seen facial injuries from the airbag that were limited to bloody noses and cut lips. I've never seen a chest injury from the airbag. Not to say it can't happen but I've never seen it. I have seen chest abrasions from the seat belts but no broken bones.

90 days without air bags while the leads anchor sounds reasonable to me.

don

flyingcamel

Post by flyingcamel » December 21st, 2006, 3:40 pm

I may be missing something here, but I think our odds are better in a car crash with the airbag - ICD or not. Why are you guys worrying about this?!

don

Post by don » December 21st, 2006, 4:14 pm

flyingcamel wrote:I may be missing something here, but I think our odds are better in a car crash with the airbag - ICD or not. Why are you guys worrying about this?!
Come on FC! You know there's NOTHING we don't worry about. :lol:

Apropos of nothing in particular I've been to tons of accident sites. Never pulled out a seriously injured person who had air bags. Seeing all those cars that looked like no one could survice, having the fire department use the jaws of life to extract them and finding only a few cuts or abrasions has really made a believer out of me. I would never again own a car without air bags.

don

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » December 21st, 2006, 6:50 pm

FC it seems that the EP's are worried more so than us until they (leads) are more fixed in place.