Off Topic.... A free refrigerator for anybody looking

All posts from Jan 1, 2006 thru Dec 31, 2006

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

PaulDC

Off Topic.... A free refrigerator for anybody looking

Post by PaulDC » December 20th, 2006, 11:59 am

I am stressing out a little bit and need to vent a little.

After waking up this morning, I went to the kitchen like usual to make my son Kevin some breakfast. After I finished pouring his cereal, I turned around to get some milk out of the refrigerator and I noticed a puddle of water on the floor in front of it. Panicked, I swung open the door to see what was happening and notice that it was warm inside. I was ready to scream at one the older kids for leaving the door open all night but noticed even the ice was melted from the ice maker. I guess they got lucky this time!

I was like crap, I was about to either kick the dam thing or take out my gun and shoot it full of holes.

I can tell you one thing, I am totally disgusted with Maytag. I will never buy another appliance from them EVER. This has to be the 4th problem I have had with it in the past 5 ½ years. Its only 5 ½ years old!! Go figure! I feel like throwing it out my back door into my back yard.

At 8:01 this morning, I called Maytag and gave them a piece of my mind. I knew I wasn’t going to get anywhere with them, but it sure made me feel better.

I guess I am going to have to go shopping now for a new refrigerator because I am not going to spend another dime of that piece of crap to get it fixed. I am assuming that the compressor is bad in it but I just don’t want to spend the money on getting it fixed again.

I guess my wife and I are going to get a new refrigerator for Christmas, Oh boy!! We were planning on upgrading our kitchen appliances later next year anyways but I guess it going to be sooner than later, at least with the refrigerator anyways.

I cant stand shopping around Christmas anyways and now I have to go shopping for a refrigerator and fight the crowds. Yuckie!! I am so glad we are not entertaining this Christmas because I don’t know what we would have done if we couldn’t get a new refrigerator by next week. Yikes

Anyways, if anybody is looking for a used broken Maytag, I know where you can find one for free!
PaulDC

"Short-Coupled Torsades de Pointes Ventricular Tachycardia" - ICD Implanted 09/03/05
...whatever time I've got left now belongs to the big fella uptairs - Ronald Reagan

marian

Post by marian » December 20th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Paul,

you are just too good...offering your broken fridge!!
Really, I'm sorry about the problem and I know two other families going through the same thing. Wonder if theirs is a Maytag?
Happy shopping!

marian

Mark

Post by Mark » December 20th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Ouch Paul, that sucks for sure. I too also had problems with a Maytag dryer that kept blowing it's heating coil.

After explaining this to them over and over again they assured me that their rep would be there to fix it... and after the guarantee was up, the service rep THEN stated there must have been an electrical problem and if it were still under warranty, they would replace it. :shock:

Nice move Maytag- they used to be reliable I guess...I told the rep a few choice words, several of them sounding much like "brother trucker" , realized I felt better and his ears were burning, went out and bought a Kenmore washer and dryer and haven't had a problem since.

Good luck on your hunt! :)

~guin

Post by ~guin » December 20th, 2006, 10:55 pm

Oh Paul... I got one better....

The fridge is last years news.... The Subzero has thousands plugged into it -- but it is a nice built in that I can't part with and it would cost thousands more to replace it...

Anyway -- last week the kitchen drain starts to slow and back up.... We notice the hardwood floow starts to curl neat the kick plate of the cabinets down on the other end near the fridge... mmmm.... This week both problems are worse... we now notice dampness under the house and under the trash compactor.... We call the plumber - he comes out to snake the lines, finds a burst pipe and the back lower part of the cabinet with dry rot and black mold... He fixes it, we call the contractor -- says yep -- ya know it is wet under the house when you meet a cute blck and white salmander! He is going to come the day after christmas to spray yucking mold killing stuff and paint the subfloor under the cabinets with the kilnz... We should stink for a week. Then of course we have to move out to have our hardwood sanded and refinished... about 2,000+ square feet...

Good thing we arn't entertaining this Holiday!!!
Good luck to us...
~guin

jana

Post by jana » December 20th, 2006, 11:38 pm

Paul -- If you haven't purchased yet, we have a Kelvinator. Not sure if they make them any more, but we've had ours 15 years w/o a lick of problem. No ice maker or anything, because we figure the more doo-dads there are, the more things there are to break.

Just a suggestion.

Jana

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » December 21st, 2006, 4:16 am

Maybe the "Auto Defrost " timer has just stopped working, just pull the Kick plate and turn it a little, like a screwdriver slot in a little hole. I've had that happen before. Might be a good extra fridge for temp use in the garage or something.

PaulDC

Post by PaulDC » December 21st, 2006, 11:35 am

Well, my wife and I went out and bought a new refrigerator last night at Best Buy, $1400.00, yikes, this one hurts. We were dumbfounded that there really isn’t many places that have any kind of a selection of Refrigerators…. Sears is about the only one we could think of? It’s a Whirlpool Gold and is supposed to be one of there upgrades??? We will see about that? Its supposed to be delivered on Friday which isn’t to bad.

Still debating about whether or not to buy the extended warranty…. Another $200.00 for 5 years. I typically don’t fall for the extended warranty but I am having seconds thoughts now, especially after my last experience and the cost of my new refrigerator??? I have 30 days to make up my mind on that one.

Mark- I am glad you are having better luck with your Kenmore appliances. I was talking with the sales person at Best Buy and he informed us that Best Buy stop carrying Maytag due to the quality and service problems they were having with them. Hhhmmm. We didn’t do much hunting because my wife loved the one she found at Best Buy. They also could have it to us by Friday and if we found it cheaper elsewhere they would match and also give us an extra %10 off within 30 days.

Guin- I guess you lucked out with the entertaining factor also. Sorry, but you make me feel so much better after reading your post. I hate to use your bad situation to make me feel better about my own misfortune. I can say one thing, I guess I am lucky I don’t have any damage or have to replace anything else, or at least not yet. Good luck with your repairing your kitchen and hopefully its wont be to expensive.

Jana - I have never heard of a Kelvinator. Unfortunately this is where my wife and I differ. I am happy placing my food in anything that can keep it cold and frozen. My wife on the other hand has to have a nice looking appliance with all the do-dads, ice maker, water dispenser etc…. I guess I have to give in because she claims its “Her Kitchen”.

Keith – I am going to try your suggestion when I get home from work today. If it does the trick, I don’t know whether to keep my old refrigerator (10yrs old and never had a problem) that I already have in the garage or replace it with this “Maytag” piece of junk?

Thanks for everybody and their support in this time of crises.
PaulDC

"Short-Coupled Torsades de Pointes Ventricular Tachycardia" - ICD Implanted 09/03/05
...whatever time I've got left now belongs to the big fella uptairs - Ronald Reagan

don

Post by don » December 21st, 2006, 12:48 pm

Hi Paul

Well, they say bad news comes in threes. First my referigerator went out. Next was my computer speakers (yeah, the high dollar 5 in one speakers). Then my computer monitor turned red. Well they call it magenta I think.

I've got new speakers (not 5 in one's) and a new monitor (the new flat one, not the big old type that I had). Still don't have a new referigator. Guess it's easy to see where my priorities lie :lol:

don

PaulDC

Post by PaulDC » December 21st, 2006, 12:56 pm

Don

What are you doing with your beer? Do you drink it warm now that you dont have a working frig?

I should have ask Santa for a Kegerator instead.. a refrigerator that holds a keg of beer.

I am glad you have your priorites on the right track.

Paul

BTY-I hope I dont get hit with bad news #2 and #3 until the next year????
PaulDC

don

Post by don » December 21st, 2006, 4:09 pm

I like my beer on ice Paul. Thanks for asking.

don

John C

I know what you mean

Post by John C » December 28th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Paul....

I had to run and buy a new TV for the bedroom the other day. So I know what you mean but I did get agood price on a 20" Mag Flat screen with built
in BCR and DVD player so the wife is happy.... Hope some time in 2007
to get a nice big screen DLP TV for the TV\Computer room.

John Charnlotte NC