body fat scale & quick answer

All posts from Jan 1, 2006 thru Dec 31, 2006

Moderators: freckles1880, Suzanne, ~guin, Eric, Moderators

libriale

body fat scale & quick answer

Post by libriale » December 25th, 2006, 9:52 pm

Hi
I have a quick question. My husband has an ICD and today got on a body fat scale a relative got for a present (without reading the CAUTION)
anyway do we need to call the doc? Nothing seemed to happen but did this interfere with his settings.
He is having alot of anxiety right now so any answer would be appreciated
Hope someone is on this holiday
Thank you!!!

sunny4az

Post by sunny4az » December 26th, 2006, 12:03 am

My wife recently bought an Omron HBF-306 Body Fat Analyzer and I have the same question. The instruction manual for the unit states:

Never use this unit in combination with the following
medical electronic devices.
(1) Medical electronic implants such as pacemakers.
(2) Electronic life support systems such as an artificial heart/lung.
(3) Portable electronic medical devices such as an electrocardiograph.
• This unit may cause the above mentioned medical
electronic devices to malfunction.

The Body Fat Analyzer sends an extremely weak electrical current
of 50 kHz and 500 μA through your body to determine the amount of fat tissue.
This weak electrical current is not felt while operating the Body Fat Analyzer.

The current is so low, I cannot imagine that it would interfere with my ICD/pacemaker. However, I am going to contact Medtronics prior to using it.
Joel in sunny Arizona

Medtronics Maximo 7232CX. Mexiletine 150MG 2X, Coreg CR 40MG 1x, Lisinopril 2.5MG 1X, Plavix 75MG 1X

3-life saving therapies and 1 electrical storm w/8 zaps

libriale

called guidant

Post by libriale » December 26th, 2006, 8:50 am

HI
I called guidant this AM. They did say to avoid any low electrical impulse for the scale. The danger is if you are on the scale the interference may allow the ICD to read a wrong heartrate and possibly deliver a shock.
He said the chance is low but there is a chance.
He did say it has nothing to do with the actual settings (which we were afraid of) and once your off you are fine.
Thanks

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » December 26th, 2006, 9:27 am

If you really want to find body fat index, the US Navy uses this type of measurement to calculate. This is what I have been using to calculate mine out. Just a body weight and Sewing Tape measurements.

http://www.bblex.de/en/calc/navy.php

sunny4az

Post by sunny4az » December 26th, 2006, 10:50 am

Just spoke to Kathy at Medtronics Customer Support. She advises to not use the body fat analyzer since it does pass a small continuous electrical current through the body while it is being used. She said that I could possibly get a shock and there is a small possibility that the ICD/pacemaker could be reprogrammed. I then asked her about the effect on the ICD from getting shocks such as from static electricity and an electrical extension cord, etc. She said that type of shock should not be a problem since it is momentary and the ICD knows to ignore transient shocks. But the continuous flow of electricity though the body from the fat monitor could be a problem. She advised that if there is any doubt after receiving a shock, check with your EP.
Joel in sunny Arizona

Medtronics Maximo 7232CX. Mexiletine 150MG 2X, Coreg CR 40MG 1x, Lisinopril 2.5MG 1X, Plavix 75MG 1X

3-life saving therapies and 1 electrical storm w/8 zaps