Jake Surgery Set

All posts from Jan 1, 2006 thru Dec 31, 2006

Moderators: freckles1880, Suzanne, ~guin, Eric, Moderators

Momof2HeartKids
Forum Moderator

Jake Surgery Set

Post by Momof2HeartKids » December 26th, 2006, 12:31 pm

I hope everyone who celebrates had a wonderful Christmas!!!

Well I got to talk to the doctor in Boston and Jake is scheduled for Jan 2nd. The method they will be using this time is the epicardial approach. The unit will be in his abdomen but the lead will attach to the outside of the heart. One on the ventricle and the other behind the heart. Using this method will allow for us to preserve the vein used in the tranvenous approach for the future. I remember this method being discussed when he first got his implant, but then it would have entailed open heart surgery. This Doctor in Boston developed a new way several years ago. They will use the same incision in his belly but they wil extend it up further because they actually go in under the zyphoid. After they do the lead extraction they are hoping they can preserve the vein. Sometimes depending on the amount of scar tissue they can loose the vein. If they see that this may be a problem they can put in a stent, or they can put the coil lead on the ventricle and place just the pacing lead up into the vein. I guess they wont know until the are in there.

We will go to meet him for the pre-op visit on Friday. I will have to bring a list of questions for him. Its hard because we have never met him and although he has an excellent reputation, the trust just isnt there yet for me. I wish his EP could be there. I will let you know how our visit goes.
Wishing You a Zap Free Day,
Cyndie

(Brugada Syndrome, Long QT Syndrome, Sick Sinus Syndrome, ICD & 2 children one with Brugada, ICD and one with Brugada, Long QT and removed ICD due to staph)

Mark

Post by Mark » December 26th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Cyndie, you know Jake will be in my prayers on Jan 2nd- You hang tough and put some faith in his doctors: All will turn out well! :) God bless Jake for all he has been through.....

don

Post by don » December 26th, 2006, 7:49 pm

Cyndie my thoughts and prayers are with you. After you meet with the surgeon if you don't have complete trust in him please don't go forward. Interview other doctors until you find one you trust implicitly. This is much to important to do otherwise.

God bless you and your family.

don

Don36

Post by Don36 » December 26th, 2006, 10:25 pm

Cyndie
Our prayers will be with you and Jake, We pray that all goes well with the doctors.
Don36

karslake

Post by karslake » December 27th, 2006, 6:32 am

Cyndie,

All my prayers are for you and Jake on 2nd January.

Keep your chin up - as you always do.
All best wishes,
Eve & Blabbermouth 111

Kat

Post by Kat » December 27th, 2006, 9:41 am

I will keep you in my thoughts. Best wishes and speedy recovery to Jake.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » December 27th, 2006, 10:06 am

Cyndie & Jake,

Really glad the schedule's is going fast for Jake. Just hope you find the Dr. to your liking. and all is well. My thoughts will be with you.

Helen

Post by Helen » December 27th, 2006, 11:15 am

Dear Cyndie, You will all be in my prayers..on the surgery day as well as every other day.. Give Jake a hug and kiss from me.. Love, Helen
Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together.

Carl

Post by Carl » December 27th, 2006, 6:14 pm

My prayers go out to Jake & you. Stay strong.
CONTINUE TO CONTINUE
CARL

uksteve

Post by uksteve » December 29th, 2006, 7:47 am

Hope All goes well for Jake will be thinking of you all GOOD LUCK Steve

cocoalab

Post by cocoalab » December 29th, 2006, 11:07 am

Dear Cyndie,
Sorry I have not been around. I will be praying for you and Jake as he gets his new implant. I hope this brings you a lot of peace having it done with.

I am glad they found a way to do the epicardial approach with out having to crack his chest open. Andrew had his first pacemaker wires placed that way when he had his last open heart. We never did use them though.

I hope when you meet his surgeon you really like him and have a good gut feeling about him. That makes it a little easier.

All the best to you and a very healthy no more scares new year!

heart hugs,
Wendy
Wendy: Andrew's mom(23, L-TGA (ventricular inversion), tricuspid valve replaced 3x-7/96 and 7/05, 6/07 and mitral valve 6/07, MI at last surgery, cardiac arrest August 05, ICD 8/27/05, Bacterial Endocarditis requiring replacement of two valves and his ICD May through July 07) L-VAD 12/7/2010, on the transplant list since April 2011! Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteosness

jana

Post by jana » December 29th, 2006, 7:46 pm

Cyndia -- Jake will continue to be in my prayers.

Jana

Amanda1

Post by Amanda1 » December 29th, 2006, 8:13 pm

Cyndie~

Sending good wishes your way.

Amanda

Kathy B

Post by Kathy B » December 30th, 2006, 9:16 am

Cyndie
Jake will have so many prayers and so many postitive thoughts and wishes coming his way. Starting the new year with new leads can only be a positive for him. He has been through far to much for such a little guy. Bless him for his strong will and beautiful heart.
Kathy B
Four open heart surgeries
Lung surgery for paralyzed diaphragm
Seven stents
Stroke
Brain bleed
Pacemaker upgraded to ICD due to SCD episode
Multiple ablations but back in afib 24/7
Loss of my spouse Jim 6-17-2008
Meeting a new Jim
Marry Jim 9-26-2009
New ICD, Concerto and Fidelis lead removal 12-11-2009

Ginny

Post by Ginny » December 30th, 2006, 11:24 pm

Cyndie,

I just want you to know that I'll be thinking of you and Jake all day on the 2nd.

Good luck with the surgery - soon Jake will be over this bump and feeling strong again.

Love,

Ginny