Hello from new member

All posts from Jan 1, 2007 thru Dec. 31, 2007

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

carlwk3c

Hello from new member

Post by carlwk3c » December 17th, 2007, 6:28 am

Hi all,

My name is Carl and I'm from the Allentown, PA area.

I was implanted with a Medtronic Virtuoso DR ICD on Oct 9th (unfortunately, the ventricular lead is a Sprint Fidelis which is on the recall, which concerns me somewhat - comments on that issue are welcomed).

I got my first shock at 9:00 PM HST (in Hawaii) on Dec 7.

I had noticed some short runs (1-3 seconds or so) of VT in the pulse sound of my electronic blood pressure meter (hadn't really felt symptoms other than being really tired from a long trip) and thought "that's odd." (I had, pre EP study, ablation(s), and implant, been more troubled with PVCs than AT/AF or VT ... I was "throwing" >15,000 PVCs/day and was "normally" in Bradycardia at about 40 bpm, so runs of VT seemed odd.)

A few minutes later (fully conscious, still with no real, noticable symptoms), WHAM!!! ... one 35 Joule pulse. Not as excruciatingly painful as I had expected, but it really "rocks your world" doesn't it?

After the shock, I was feeling OK, so I called the on-call at my cardiology group in PA and he (someone I've never seen) indicated "one shock can probably wait until you come home for readout IF you're feeling NO symptoms, but if you get shocked again, or feel symptoms, call 911."

In the morning I called the ICD/pacer clinic in PA and was told they wanted a readout ASAP, so I returned from the North Shore of Oahu to Queens Medical center in Honolulu, where they examined me, put me on a monitor, did an EKG, and paged the Medtronic rep (who arrived within about 30 minutes or so, read me out, showed me all of the strips/data and explained them all to me quite thoroughly).

All of the strips/data and my then current EKG were faxed to my EP in PA and he indicated that the therapy was appropriate, the device did what it was supposed to do, and things looked OK at that time. He said to double my metroprolol from 50mg 2x daily to 100mg 2x daily and the local ER doc wrote a RX for me so I could get that at the local Walmart pharmacy.

All in all, I spent about 2 hrs in the ER at Queens. Very friendly, attentive, courteous, and efficient service. If you're ever in Hawaii and need cardiac care, it's the place to go.

After a week on Kauai and OK so far I'm now in Atlanta, on my way back to PA (on the 17th).

What happened is that I went into AT/AF at rates between 350-700 bpm and in trying to keep up the ventricles got to 188. The device first tried to overpace me out of the VT and when that failed it charged the capacitor and zapped me, which fortunately returned me to a normal rythm.

Anyway, I hope I don't get zapped too often :roll:

Regards,
Carl

Mark

Re: Hello from new member

Post by Mark » December 17th, 2007, 7:11 am

carlwk3c wrote: What happened is that I went into AT/AF at rates between 350-700 bpm and in trying to keep up the ventricles got to 188. The device first tried to overpace me out of the VT and when that failed it charged the capacitor and zapped me, which fortunately returned me to a normal rythm.
Welcome Carl.

Well I sure do know about the A-Fib shock club, and take relief in knowing there are many of us out here that have had the same thing happen. It's a non pleasant cardioversion for sure! And 350-700 bpm is really fast so maybe it was a good thing your ICD gave you therapy. You'll find this a good listening and compassionate group and we are all consider ourselves family here- feel at ease to post and share and offer support where needed because that is the goal of this group.

So rest up and enjoy the holidays, and welcome to the family. :D

Paula

Post by Paula » December 17th, 2007, 8:09 am

Welcome Carl! So sorry you had to get shocked and in Hawaii at that! I'm a little confused though, did you get shocked for a-fib/a-tach or ventricular tachycardia? They are quite different rhythms and a shock for a-fib/a-tach would be considered inappropriate while a shock for VT would be considered appropriate. In reading your description it kinda sounds like your atrial rate was 350-700 (which in a quivering AF rhythm would make sense) and then your ventricular rate increased to 188 and you got shocked. In this case you would have been shocked for accelerated atrial fibrillation and not for ventricular tachycardia.

I too was shocked for the first time a few weeks ago. It was inappropriate therapy for a-fib at rates > 200 bpm. I was cardioverted to a normal rhythm though!

Hope you see you more on the board! Take care!

Paula
Sudden Cardiac Death 07-29-07 at 42 years of age. Cause of SCD unknown, no heart defects found. Medtronic Virtuoso ICD implanted 08-01-2007.

~guin

Post by ~guin » December 17th, 2007, 11:19 am

Hi Carl;

I met you Zaplist -- very glad you found us here too!
I am also very glad to know that you found good care in Hawaii as I am there about once a year. I have had an ICD for nearly 9 years now and have never needed care in Hawaii except for an ear infection!
Happy Holidays to you and keep us posted.
~guin

Kat

Post by Kat » December 17th, 2007, 11:34 am

Well, hello Carl. You have joined the ICD club, the A-fib club, the Zot clube ( :zot: ) and the Fidelis club all in a few short months. You have been a busy guy. Aren't you glad there are not membership dues :lol:

Sorry to hear the shock happened while you were on vacation in Hawaii. But great that you were taken care of so well. And welcome to the board.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

Helen

Post by Helen » December 17th, 2007, 11:39 am

Hi Carl, Welcome to the group.. You brought back memories to me.. I lived in Hawaii for a while over 20 years ago and fell and hurt my arm getting off a bus and went to the Queens hospital in Honolulu. I was so surprised when I went into their emergency room to be put in a wheelchair and have ice brought for my arm before even being asked for my insurance card...Coming from New York I found it so different and friendly. Anyway, it is freezing in New York today and I wish I was in Hawaii now.. :roll: :wink: :lol: Well keep coming back and I'm sure you will quickly become addicted to this site too. Love, Helen
Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together.

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » December 17th, 2007, 12:47 pm

Hi Carl,

Glad to have you join us, I hope we can provide what you might be looking for, whether it be comfort, knowledge or just a dreary day so we can try to get a smile out of you. So sorry about getting the shock, but now you know it is there for a good reason! It did what it was suppose to do. I hope all is well for your holidays. :tree:

JohnM

Post by JohnM » December 17th, 2007, 1:11 pm

Hi Carl. Welcome. I enjoy this place and have learned alot reading the different posts. I go in for interrogation in January and I have a whole list of questions to ask. Mostly from being curious about different things I've read here. I feel it will make me much more informed and knowledgable. Sorry to hear you got zapped, but seemed your ICD did whats supposed to do. And I hope you enjoy this board as much as I have.
John
MI 8-1-07, 4 Stent Failures from Aug 07 to May 08 ,Right Bundle Branch Block, Multiple VT episodes, SCA 10-09-07, ICD 10-10-07, Appropriate ICD shocks (5), Bypass Surgery 6-6-08, Cardioversion from A-Fib 6-9-08,CHF Diagnosed Class II 2-09, Pulmonary Embolism 4/10, IVC Filter Insertion, Colonectomy, Appendectomy and Hernia repair 8-30-2011, April 2013 Hospitalized Severe CHF, and Ishemic Cardiomiopathy, Sept 2013 Removal of ICD and replaced with CRT-D.
St. Jude Medical CRT-D. CD3365-40C and Coumadin for life :-(

karslake

Post by karslake » December 18th, 2007, 1:33 am

Hi Carl - and welcome from Western Australia. Yes, I, too, hope you don't get zapped too frequently. They're certainly NOT pleasant - I've had 26 and 4 phantoms!

Great to have you in the 'family'

Cheers,
Eve & Blabbermouth 111

carlwk3c

Post by carlwk3c » December 18th, 2007, 3:24 pm

Paula wrote:Welcome Carl! So sorry you had to get shocked and in Hawaii at that! I'm a little confused though, did you get shocked for a-fib/a-tach or ventricular tachycardia? They are quite different rhythms and a shock for a-fib/a-tach would be considered inappropriate while a shock for VT would be considered appropriate. In reading your description it kinda sounds like your atrial rate was 350-700 (which in a quivering AF rhythm would make sense) and then your ventricular rate increased to 188 and you got shocked. In this case you would have been shocked for accelerated atrial fibrillation and not for ventricular tachycardia.

I too was shocked for the first time a few weeks ago. It was inappropriate therapy for a-fib at rates > 200 bpm. I was cardioverted to a normal rhythm though!

Hope you see you more on the board! Take care!

Paula
Paula,

The way it was explained to me, the AT/AF caused the ventricles to try to keep up (which they couldn't). resulting in a sustained VT rate of 188.
(I had heard some non-sustained runs of high V-rate on my BP machine a short while before getting shocked and thought, "That's wierd." Apparently it subsequently degenerated into a sustained high V-rate.)

My device was responding to the induced VT rate of 188, not the AT/AF rate, though it recorded the AT/AF as well as the resulting VT waveforms.

My device tried to over-pace me out of that VT, and when that didn't work, it charged up the capacitor and zapped me (one 35J shock), which fortunately restored normal sinus rythm before things had a chance to become any more malignant.

The Medtronic rep in Hawaii and my EP in PA (who got the device dump data) both indicated that this was appropriate therapy and the device did just what it was programmed to do.

The EP doubled my metoprolol from 50mg 2x daily to 100mg 2x daily.

I have an appt with the EP tomorrow afternoon (the 19th) before I take off on another trip from Dec20-Jan05.

CarlB

Post by CarlB » December 18th, 2007, 4:44 pm

Welcome Carl, good place to get postive support and some fun also.
CarlB

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » December 18th, 2007, 6:15 pm

Carl,

You seem to be so on the move! I'm hoping all this is business and not coming out of your pockets!

Paula

Post by Paula » December 18th, 2007, 6:34 pm

Lets hope the metropolol does the trick for you!!!

Paula
Sudden Cardiac Death 07-29-07 at 42 years of age. Cause of SCD unknown, no heart defects found. Medtronic Virtuoso ICD implanted 08-01-2007.

MamaRo

Welcome!

Post by MamaRo » December 18th, 2007, 8:48 pm

Hello Carl,

I appreciated so much you sharing your story.
It is always interesting to hear how this works for other people and how one responds to the initial zap!
Your experience is pretty interesting in that you were so far from home, how excellent that you had such a good experience!

I have learned so much here, people are very kind, informative and supportive. Even when I have nothing to add or share, I find reading everyone else's posts is very helpful!
Have a very Merry Christmas!
:tree: :deer:

tomrostron

Post by tomrostron » December 19th, 2007, 6:59 pm

A warm welcome from the uk Carl. joe.