ICE = In Case of Emergency put in cell phone

All posts from Jan 1, 2007 thru Dec. 31, 2007

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Keith of WI

ICE = In Case of Emergency put in cell phone

Post by Keith of WI » December 17th, 2007, 10:39 pm

ICE Campaign - "In Case of Emergency"

prefix = u1 />

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.
If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence, this "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) Campaign has begun.
size=2>

The concept of "ICE" is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name "ICE" ( In Case Of Emergency).
The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an
emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as "ICE." For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference!

Please forward this. It won't take too many "forwards" before everybody will know about this.
It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. ICE will speak for you when you are not able to.

karslake

Post by karslake » December 18th, 2007, 1:35 am

Wrong, Keith! I don't have a cell (mobile) phone. Just old-fashioned, I guess.

Eve & Blabbermouth 111

Don36

Post by Don36 » December 18th, 2007, 9:45 am

Great idea Keith, I worked at a tennis club for a number of years and I don't know how many times we had to contact people when someone was injured. Most of the time it was hit and miss on their cell phones. Thanks a lot for that info.
Don36

JohnM

Post by JohnM » December 18th, 2007, 1:26 pm

Yeah my verizon wireless phone has a listing right on it and highlighted in red for ICE. And anybody in phonebook who is a emergency contact is highlighted in red also.
John
MI 8-1-07, 4 Stent Failures from Aug 07 to May 08 ,Right Bundle Branch Block, Multiple VT episodes, SCA 10-09-07, ICD 10-10-07, Appropriate ICD shocks (5), Bypass Surgery 6-6-08, Cardioversion from A-Fib 6-9-08,CHF Diagnosed Class II 2-09, Pulmonary Embolism 4/10, IVC Filter Insertion, Colonectomy, Appendectomy and Hernia repair 8-30-2011, April 2013 Hospitalized Severe CHF, and Ishemic Cardiomiopathy, Sept 2013 Removal of ICD and replaced with CRT-D.
St. Jude Medical CRT-D. CD3365-40C and Coumadin for life :-(

carlwk3c

Re: ICE = In Case of Emergency put in cell phone

Post by carlwk3c » December 18th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Keith of WI wrote:ICE Campaign - "In Case of Emergency"

prefix = u1 />

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.
If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence, this "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) Campaign has begun.
size=2>

The concept of "ICE" is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name "ICE" ( In Case Of Emergency).
The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an
emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as "ICE." For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference!

Please forward this. It won't take too many "forwards" before everybody will know about this.
It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. ICE will speak for you when you are not able to.
While not *all* of us carry mobile phones (I do), many, if not most do.

Anyone who does carry a mobile phone should enter the "ICE" entry ... my phone has both the home number and my wife's cellphone and hers has the home number an my cellphone.

Paramedics/EMTs are being trained to look for the ICE entry in cellular phones. It can save a huge amount of time in notifying your spouse, significant other, or other emergency contact if something does happen.

It only takes a couple of minutes to enter this information in your phone ... take the time and do it ... and do it to all of the other phones in your family if you have spouse, children, parents, or others who carry a phone.

Hoosier Tom

Post by Hoosier Tom » December 18th, 2007, 6:12 pm

WE heard about this a couple of years ago, and started doing it then. Especially with my condition what it is, it gives my wife some comfort knowing that if I were to be out by myself and something happened, they would know to contact her by that designation.

Tom

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » December 18th, 2007, 6:27 pm

I just have an old cell phone, no service, the battery dies quickly, but could call 911 or can get my ICE infor from it. I mostly just use it when I trike in the summer by myself. "Just for Emergency" Just got a forwarded message and decided to cut & paste it here.

Mike Thurston

Post by Mike Thurston » December 19th, 2007, 8:52 am

Thanks Keith,
I put the ICE numbers in my phone.
Also I typed my emergency info. (ICD, Pacemaker Dependent, Coumadin, Wallet Card)
into Microsoft Word on my computer. After a few tries I got things right (size, color etc.)
I then printed it - took a picture of the print out with my cell phone - set it as my phone wallpaper.
Worked out o.k.
Thanks again.

Mike
" If you smile at me I will understand , because that is something everybody, everywhere does in the same language"

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » December 19th, 2007, 7:44 pm

Great Idea with the wallpaper for the phone!

Karentko

Post by Karentko » December 23rd, 2007, 7:41 am

This is a great idea...thanks Keith :D

:hrt Karen
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart....Helen Keller