Spent last night in the hospital

All posts from Jan 1, 2007 thru Dec. 31, 2007

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Paula

Spent last night in the hospital

Post by Paula » December 23rd, 2007, 10:14 pm

Dang a-fib! I has spent yesterday morning preparing our holiday meal and was just relaxing for a few seconds before showering and I went into a-fib. The rate was a bit slower this time (130's-180's) so I didn't get a shock, but after being in it for 7 hours and feeling a little lightheaded, I decided to head to the ER. I got two boluses of Cardizem (which slowed the rate but didn't convert me) and then was admitted to the hospital on a Cardizem drip and scheduled for cardioversion today. Thankfully, I converted with just the Cardizem round 4:30 in the morning, so I didn't have to get an electrical cardioversion.

They increased my Toprol to 25 mg twice a day along with my Sotalol of 120 mg twice a day. Next step will probably be to try a-fib ablation. Anyone here have successful a-fib ablation?

At least I'll be home for Christmas Eve (when the kids open the gifts). My extended family was here on Saturday when I went into a-fib - at least I had the meal mostly prepared when they got here!

Paula
Sudden Cardiac Death 07-29-07 at 42 years of age. Cause of SCD unknown, no heart defects found. Medtronic Virtuoso ICD implanted 08-01-2007.

Mark

Post by Mark » December 23rd, 2007, 10:17 pm

Paula, maybe those increases might keep you in check. Damn A-fib! I hate it too! :x

Don36

Post by Don36 » December 23rd, 2007, 10:25 pm

Must be the season for A fib, I had a short bout with it on Sat. glad to hear you got it in check and hope you enjoy the rest of the Christmas season.
Don36

Helen

Post by Helen » December 23rd, 2007, 11:26 pm

Hi Paula, I have the a-fib curse too.. Since I've been on Sotalol 120 twice a day and Toprol XL 1x I've been doing pretty good. Haven't had any shocks in 1-1/2 years.. before that I had a couple of shock storms.. When my interrogation showed I had a couple of runs of a-fib this past summer, my EP talked to me about ablation or going into the hospital to be loaded on a higher dose of sotalol but my cardiologist (who is the chief cardiologist at the EP's hospital) disagreed and said no... Recently he has put me on diovan (when my blood pressure was going up) along with my other meds which are lexapro, coumadin, and lipitor. I know how frustrating it can be and you will be in my prayers for a happy and zap free Christmas season..Love, Helen
Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together.

karslake

Post by karslake » December 23rd, 2007, 11:41 pm

So sorry you had to spend the night in hospital, Paula. Glad you are OK for Christmas.
Love
Eve & Blabbermouth 111

jana

Post by jana » December 24th, 2007, 12:53 am

Paula -- I had ablation for a-fib in 2002; it changed my life! No more a-fib, at all, since then. Did go into v-fib once, but that's in check since I started Sotalol.

I did have a-fib my ENTIRE life, so I think I had Wolf-Parkinson's disease. But, if the meds don't cut it, it's definately worth a try. Make sure you have a doc who has done 1000s of them so he/she knows what they're doing.

Jana

Karentko

Post by Karentko » December 24th, 2007, 6:58 am

Im sorry Paula :( ....but glad you are back home and can enjoy Christmas with your family..you are in my prayers angel

:hrt Karen
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart....Helen Keller

Paula

Post by Paula » December 24th, 2007, 9:16 am

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! So far so good now that I am home. Have a very Merry Christmas!

Paula
Sudden Cardiac Death 07-29-07 at 42 years of age. Cause of SCD unknown, no heart defects found. Medtronic Virtuoso ICD implanted 08-01-2007.

John C

Back home

Post by John C » December 24th, 2007, 11:18 am

Glad everything is AOK and that you will be home for Christmas and with friends and family.
'
John

Lane

Post by Lane » December 24th, 2007, 11:23 am

So Sorry Paula! Glad you are home now and I hope you have a trouble free Christmas. Lane

Kat

Post by Kat » December 24th, 2007, 3:24 pm

Sorry to hear about the A-fib and hospital trip. But glad you are home and feeling better.

Have a Merry Christmas
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

CarlB

Post by CarlB » December 24th, 2007, 4:39 pm

Good to be home for Christamas Paula. Been is a-fib for years, but will be going for VT Ablation at Mayo in January. I get to be home with the granddaughters for Christmas. Good Luck. January I don't know about?
CarlB

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » December 24th, 2007, 7:57 pm

Sorry to here Paula, Hope now it will stay in check. Best to you and your family!
:xmassleigh: :xmaswav:

Paula

Post by Paula » December 25th, 2007, 2:41 pm

Thank you everyone!

Paula

Kathy B

Post by Kathy B » December 26th, 2007, 7:59 am

Paula
Dang afib is using kinder terms than I use. With your knowledge you know the drill on this one. I have struggled with afib for more years than I care to count. I used medications that worked well and then ok and then not much. I was always told it is bothersome and it won't kill you. Of course those docs were not in afib 24/7 for years. I have had multiple abaltions which showed WPW and other rare connections which were all ablated. My abaltions were an issue since my RCA was completely occluded and I needed 6 stents after I flat lined. I have a negative take on using ablations for the first course of treatment since afib mainly gets worse with time so using the last recourse makes sense to me. I was afib free for about six months and now I am back in afib. I have an event monitor on now and will see the EP in the am to find out what is going on and what we can do. It is very difficult to be out of it and then have it return. Actually rather depressing. Hope yours was just a visiting afib and won't take up permanent residence.
Kathy B
Four open heart surgeries
Lung surgery for paralyzed diaphragm
Seven stents
Stroke
Brain bleed
Pacemaker upgraded to ICD due to SCD episode
Multiple ablations but back in afib 24/7
Loss of my spouse Jim 6-17-2008
Meeting a new Jim
Marry Jim 9-26-2009
New ICD, Concerto and Fidelis lead removal 12-11-2009