Thanks for weighing in on the a-fib issue. I have had a-fib off and on now for almost 10 years, the last 5 years with a bit more frequency (3-6 breakthough episodes per year). Years ago I was put on just beta blockade with little success. Several years ago I was started on fleccainide which for the most part, controlled my a-fib pretty well. I did have one increase in strength due to some breaktrough a-fib. I also had an ablation about 4 years ago (they were looking to ablate the a-fib if they could but were only able to ablate an svt - which I had never had a problem with). I was taken off the fleccainide after my sudden cardiac death per my request because I thought the fleccainide was partly the cause. I was then put on sotatlol 120 mg twice a day, which is the max dose my EP wants to give me. Toprol 25 mg was added about 3 weeks ago after I got shocked for a-fib and they just increased the toprol to twice a day after this last episode. While I am very thankful that I am not in a-fib all of the time, my episodes are noteable because I always go into a-fib at such fast rates - usually > 200 bpm. The toprol was able to my rates in the 130's-180's with this past episode though, so I didn't get a shock again.
I can try amiodarone as the next drug treatment, have my AV node totally ablated and be pacer dependant, or look into a-fib ablation. Amiodarone is such a toxic drug that I would like to avoid that if at all possible. I'm not thrilled with the idea of being totally pacemaker dependant either. For right now we will take a wait and see approach and see if the added toprol will keep me out of a-fib. If not, then I will have to make a decision on which treatment to go for.
Did your RCA occlude due to the ablation? If so, what caused it to occlude?
All posts from Jan 1, 2007 thru Dec. 31, 2007