Spent last night in the hospital

All posts from Jan 1, 2007 thru Dec. 31, 2007

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Paula

Post by Paula » December 26th, 2007, 9:40 am

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for weighing in on the a-fib issue. I have had a-fib off and on now for almost 10 years, the last 5 years with a bit more frequency (3-6 breakthough episodes per year). Years ago I was put on just beta blockade with little success. Several years ago I was started on fleccainide which for the most part, controlled my a-fib pretty well. I did have one increase in strength due to some breaktrough a-fib. I also had an ablation about 4 years ago (they were looking to ablate the a-fib if they could but were only able to ablate an svt - which I had never had a problem with). I was taken off the fleccainide after my sudden cardiac death per my request because I thought the fleccainide was partly the cause. I was then put on sotatlol 120 mg twice a day, which is the max dose my EP wants to give me. Toprol 25 mg was added about 3 weeks ago after I got shocked for a-fib and they just increased the toprol to twice a day after this last episode. While I am very thankful that I am not in a-fib all of the time, my episodes are noteable because I always go into a-fib at such fast rates - usually > 200 bpm. The toprol was able to my rates in the 130's-180's with this past episode though, so I didn't get a shock again.
I can try amiodarone as the next drug treatment, have my AV node totally ablated and be pacer dependant, or look into a-fib ablation. Amiodarone is such a toxic drug that I would like to avoid that if at all possible. I'm not thrilled with the idea of being totally pacemaker dependant either. For right now we will take a wait and see approach and see if the added toprol will keep me out of a-fib. If not, then I will have to make a decision on which treatment to go for.

Did your RCA occlude due to the ablation? If so, what caused it to occlude?

Paula
Sudden Cardiac Death 07-29-07 at 42 years of age. Cause of SCD unknown, no heart defects found. Medtronic Virtuoso ICD implanted 08-01-2007.