ICD renewal

All posts from Jan 1, 2007 thru Dec. 31, 2007

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

emannuel

ICD renewal

Post by emannuel » December 28th, 2007, 2:42 am

Hi,

My ICD is 30 months old and will be replaced in 2 weeks due to battery weakness. I had some 25 to 30 shocks in a row 15 months ago and I understand that each shock may take one month lifetime away on the ICD. Had anyone that experience ?

Have all a happy new year

Emanuel

Kat

Post by Kat » December 28th, 2007, 9:45 am

I don't know about the batteries after shocks other than I was also told getting therapy would use battery faster. I am sure others here will have more info. I just want to add Wow, that is a lot a shocks. Sorry to hear that. Hope you are feeling better and that they have adjusted whatever was needed to keep that from happening again.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

hugooc

Post by hugooc » December 28th, 2007, 12:37 pm

Minus thirty days for each shock sound about right.

My Medtronic Virtuoso DR (dual chamber) manual says that, as a guideline, each full-energy charge decreases the projected service life of the battery by about 44 days (0.12 year). For the Virtuoso VR (one lead system), this number is 37 days (0.10 year). So, the exact number will depend on your device’s brand, model and configuration.

The Medtronic manual also says the following factors may affect the longevity of your device’s battery:
  • A greater number of high-voltage charges, either for therapy or for capacitor formation.

(This is probably why you're having your device replaced so soon. Although 25 shocks x minus 30 days each shock would account for only a 2 year reduction of your device's projected life. Regarding capacitor formation, apparently the capacitors need to be conditioned periodically to maintain quick charging times for high voltage therapy, but with 25-30 shocks, "capacitor formation" is probably the last thing you need to worry about.)

Higher programmed cardioversion or defibrillation therapy energies.

A greater number of bradycardia paced events, for example an increase in the pacing rate (are you pacer dependant? That would also affect your battery life.)

Higher programmed pacing amplitude or pulse width (not sure what this is).

Pacing outputs or high-voltage therapy energy increased to compensate for a decrease in pacing and high-voltage lead impedance.

Use of the pre-arrhythmia EGM storage or Holter tememetry features.
Some of the above might be specific to the Virtuoso. What device do you have?
Bonne Année!

emannuel

Post by emannuel » December 29th, 2007, 11:29 am

Thanks Hugo and bonne année for you to

Emanuel

Mark

Post by Mark » December 31st, 2007, 11:27 am

hugooc wrote:
(This is probably why you're having your device replaced so soon. Although 25 shocks x minus 30 days each shock would account for only a 2 year reduction of your device's projected life. Regarding capacitor formation, apparently the capacitors need to be conditioned periodically to maintain quick charging times for high voltage therapy, but with 25-30 shocks, "capacitor formation" is probably the last thing you need to worry about.)
Capacitor formation on my ICD is every 90 days, (When i saw that I was charged at 3:12 am for a full charge I almost dropped a load in my pants until the Medtronics rep told me that they do that to test capacitors and then FC added is was necessary as we wouldn't want to have to wait 35 seconds for the damn thing to charge either!) which brings up this question- When you go in for an interrogation would this also factor into the time length of the ICD as they do ramp up the pacing to check the capacitors and lead integrity? There are probably so many things that factor into the length of the battery that thank God we have this technology that can keep us alive!