Helen's Blog

For each participant, a special personal 'blog' area to mark with milestones, complaints, goals achieved and many other of your personal thoughts.
Helen

Post by Helen » January 2nd, 2009, 5:28 pm

OK Gang, I'm in. I really have to lose some weight.. My primary doc has been scaring me all year saying I am just about diabetic... and one doctor I went to said I am obese.. Right Mark, that word is terrifying.. I've been on so many diets all my life and it seems like I suffer for months to lose than all of a sudden I am gorging myself again and gaining more back than I lost.

I am a sweets addict. I am also the world's pickiest eater. I grew up eating meat and potatoes (good old Irish diet) and never got into eating most other foods.. I don't eat any vegetables except for corn and peas and carrots. I love bread, potatoes, and don't feel like it's dinner unless I finish off with something sweet. I have been trying for the past 8/9 months and have been eating a bit more fruit, eating snackwells instead of cakes and haven't had chocolate for about 6 months.. Chocolate is my favorite thing on this earth (since I am too old for sex now... :shock: :lol: :oops: ).

It is getting harder and harder for me to walk and I don't know if that is from the extra weight, from my heart failure, ageing, or the pills I take but I am losing quality of life from not walking much. When my daughters or my sisters go on vacation I say I'm not going because I feel like I can't walk with them and go sight seeing so why go touring somewhere and holding them all back..

Anyway, I have lost about 10 lbs. this year but need to lose about 30 more anyway to prevent the diabetes and the depression that comes from being housebound so much.. I think it was Jean who wrote about the walker with a seat for the mall. I think that is a good idea and maybe I'll try it. I'm going to do what I can and I'm sure if I check in here a lot it will help to encourage me. Keep up the good work people... Love, Helen
Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together.

Helen

Post by Helen » January 3rd, 2009, 11:35 am

I'm still not sure if we are supposed to post in here or in the 2009 forum.. but does anyone have any good tips on stopping night eating? Actually I have been trying real hard to not eat at night since I was diagnosed with acid reflux/gerd a few months ago and if I eat at night I wake up coughing all night.. I'm going in for an endoscopy and a colonoscopy on Thursday this week and hopefully they will find what is causing it and why the meds aren't working (it's been 9 months now).

Well I meant to ask the question about eating at night and wandered off there... I've always been able to diet all day but at night it is when I always snack and snack and snack. I rarely watch TV sitting on my couch because that seems to trigger my body into saying eat, eat, eat. Yesterday I was gung ho but last night I felt like I was starving and had to keep talking myself out of going for a few cookies... I finally settled for a bit of peaches and 1/2 banana which filled me enough to relax.

I guess if I took a sleeping pill with dinner I might lose some weight...lol. So if anyone has any tips for stopping night eating (besides not watching TV commercials which all seem to be about food at night), please let me know. Love, Helen
Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together.

judimel

Post by judimel » January 3rd, 2009, 2:26 pm

Helen,

Have you tried the 100 calorie pack cookies? Actually they are pretty good. I like the Lorna Doones. If I eat them slowly they seem to do the cookie craving trick. I used those when I first was cutting out the night snacking. After awhile the huge urge went away.

Maybe it will help?

DonnaB

Post by DonnaB » January 3rd, 2009, 5:39 pm

Helen re the night snacking......when I used to weigh 259 and lost down to 117 where I am now I basically did a form of the South beach diet.Anyway what helped me was to eat wisely through the day...smaller meat portions than I used to eat,and I made sure I ate plenty of high fiber foods that are healthy and help you feel fuller like fruits,veggies,healthy nuts,etc.I drank my 8 glasses of water which also helped,and then when I wanted to graze at night I had things like craisins(dried cranberies) a serving of almonds or walnuts,sometimes some laughing cow low fat and low calorie cheese with fruit or high fiber triscuit crackers,etc. oh and 100 calorie popcorn.

Sometimes I had to distract myself with hobbies/activities because even though I was losing weight and watching what I ate I also had 2 daughters who ate yummy more fattening foods so I would get on the computer,read,play with my rabbits and dogs,do puzzles etc rather than to munch away.I also would sometimes exercise or drink water and sometimes the cravings would go away,

DonnaB

Helen

Boot Camp Exercise

Post by Helen » January 4th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Just read this one in one of my e-mails.. Looks easy enough (even though I haven't tried it yet) so I thought I would put this in here.

10 minute cardio bootcamp workout on sparkpeople began today - Sunday

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fit ... sp?id=1251

judimel

Post by judimel » January 4th, 2009, 5:26 pm

This looks pretty neat. Wonder if you can go back tomorrow and get todays workout? I'm ready to eat dinner and probably won't want to workout until tomorrow.

Thanks Helen!

Helen

Post by Helen » January 5th, 2009, 10:16 pm

'Twas the month after Christmas,
When all through the house,
Nothing would fit me,
Not even a blouse!

The cookies I'd nibbled,
The eggnog I'd taste...
At the holiday parties,
Had gone to my waist!

I remember the marvelous meals all prepared:
The gravies and sauces,The beef "nicely rared".
The wine and the rum balls,The bread and the cheese,
And the way I NEVER said,"No, thank you, please."

As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt,
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt,
I said to myself (as only I can),
"You can't spend a winter disguised as a MAN"!

So---away with the last of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip!
Every last bit of food that I like must be banished,
'Til all of the additional "ounces" have vanished!

I won't have a cookie,Not even a lick!
I'll want only to chew,On a celery stick!
I won't have hot biscuits,Or corn bread or pie,
I'll munch on a carrot,And quietly cry.
I'm hungry...I'm lonesome...and life is a bore!
But isn't that what January is for?

Unable to giggle,No longer a riot!
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL,AND TO ALL A GOOD DIET!

ScamperAndDreamy

Post by ScamperAndDreamy » January 7th, 2009, 9:51 am

I haven't tried this hint out for myself, but it comes from a dear friend that has much success with it. Find something to keep your hands busy. This friend decided that all of her pictures weren't being enjoyed since they were in boxes and started by sorting and labeling then went on to scrapbooking. She shared her tip with her mother who had no interest in scrapbooking but alway enjoyed making things and she started collecting scraps of yarn and crocheting afghans for the church to donate to folks in need. Two different methods but both said that it really helped with the "after dinner urge to graze".

Good luck to you.
Cindy (from GA with horses)

Aamos

Post by Aamos » January 7th, 2009, 2:39 pm

To go along with Cindy's tip: get a set of light hand weights or grab some soup cans. You can keep yourself from eating and get some exercise in by using the weights and doing other simple exercises while you watch TV. It's especially good for women to do some weight work as it helps keep our bones strong.

Here's a website with some exercises you can do at home without equiptment:
http://laurensfitness.com/2008/07/02/no ... o-at-home/

and here's another one: http://liquidparallax.com/2006/12/11/34 ... equipment/

The boot camp idea is fabulous! How's that working for you?

grins,
A
Amy/Aamos--wife of DanL, who had SCA 6/1/08; 4x bypass 6/5/08 and Guidant Vitality dual chamber ICD 11/7/08