Two year aniversary and other milestone

Posts from Jan 1 2008 thru Dec 31 2008

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

notvaporlocked

Two year aniversary and other milestone

Post by notvaporlocked » September 27th, 2008, 10:39 am

Today is my two year implant aniversary. Two years, two therapies.

Bottom line is, I am alive and still trying to move forward

Yesterday I renewed my drivers licence and dropped my CDL. My CDL was a source of pride but it made no sense to pay the extra for something I could never use. It was a tough thing to do as I always thought that would be my fallback position if I needed a plan B for an income stream. I always loved driving and over the years have a lot of time in semi's and hauling oversize, overheight, overweight stuff and operating cranes. Its hard to think that that part of my life is now behind me.

Its a reverse bucket list for me. The things I wanted to do I did, now I'm marking things off my list I will no longer do. I am 55 and not supposed to be to old to stop doing things yet.

It took a long time to get my head around the CDL thing but I am trying to look forward, after all I am alive thanks to modern science and who knows what new adventures are in store.

Terry
Man Prayer
I'm a man.... But I can change.... If I have to.... I guess.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

3 V-fib therapies. It works, I'm still here.

~guin

Post by ~guin » September 27th, 2008, 10:53 am

:congratulations: on your TWO years!
You have a very healthy attitude. I am really sorry you had to give up your CDL - that would have been a hard thing for me too. But you are soo right about technology - it will keep us alive for years and perhaps give us a normal life span!

again Congratulations and good luck!
~guin

Momof2HeartKids
Forum Moderator

Post by Momof2HeartKids » September 27th, 2008, 5:41 pm

Congratulations Terry on your two year anniverysary - you are here so your ICD is doing its job! Im sure it is hard for you like all of us who have something or other we may have loved to do or had wanted to do that we cant. Try not to make yourself a reverse bucket list, just add things to your list that you can do, find the magic in the little things and the things you have to cross off wont be as hard. You have the ICD but it dosent have you!
Wishing You a Zap Free Day,
Cyndie

(Brugada Syndrome, Long QT Syndrome, Sick Sinus Syndrome, ICD & 2 children one with Brugada, ICD and one with Brugada, Long QT and removed ICD due to staph)

Laurel

Post by Laurel » September 28th, 2008, 4:01 pm

Congratulations on 2 years! Sorry about your CDL but I'm sure you will find other things that you can do that you have never tried before.
Laurel

Dan Keizur

Post by Dan Keizur » October 1st, 2008, 2:02 pm

Hi Terry, I know just what you are going through. When I had my SCD I held a CDL and they took it away from me. Driving was my job. I will never be able to get it back cause the Feds. won't let me have it back cause of the SCD. Today is the 1st of Oct. and my SCD happened the 6th of Oct. 2006, almost two years for me now. Keep your chin up. God bless

Dan

Keith of WI

Post by Keith of WI » October 1st, 2008, 3:29 pm

Hopefully you can now enjoy friends and family more now. when you are ready take a trip, enjoy what you can do, reading, hobbies, things you never had time to do before! Grilling, camping, etc.

cindy mcpherson

Post by cindy mcpherson » October 1st, 2008, 3:30 pm

Happy, Happy, Happy, we sure have to look for happiness in strange places don't we? The two year mark seems like a lifetime, long enough to feel like a lifetime, and not long enough to forget what life was like without a care in the world (about getting ZAPPED) Good luck for the next two years and we'll talk then.

Cindy (in Texas w/horses)

AndreaA

Post by AndreaA » October 2nd, 2008, 11:45 am

:bluerib: Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary, Terry. Remember, when one door closes (CDL), a window will open. Have fun finding where that window will lead!
Long QT Syndrome -
Sudden Cardiac Arrest 5/13/08;
Medtronic Virtuoso DR 05/16/08
West Palm Beach, Florida

Theresa

Post by Theresa » October 4th, 2008, 9:25 am

Congratulations on your anniversary Terry.
I know Red Green and the men of the Lodge would be really proud of you. I look forward to hearing all the things you have time to create with duct tape now - make us proud, eh!!!!!!
here's a big Canuck hug.
Theresa
(There's duct tape on your back, hee, hee)

BruceV

Post by BruceV » October 4th, 2008, 11:13 am

Congratulations on your anniversary.

Bruce

xislandman2004

Post by xislandman2004 » October 4th, 2008, 2:58 pm

...congrats. I have a friend who is still flying but is required to have a co-pilot along.

Make a new to do list... and best to you.
--dennis

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy - Heart failure
First ICD Medtronic 5/16/08
Pulmonary Vein Ablation 9/1/10
Second ICD Medtronic 5/8/12
AV Node ablation 12/23/13
Medtronic Viva CRT-D 4/14/14
Mitral valve replacement 7/14/15
plural and pericardia fluids (2.5 liters) drained 2/16

Coreg 12.5mg x 3

Coumadin 4.0 mg qd
Lasix 40mg x 2
Potassium 10 megs per 20 mg Lasix

Then the lie passed into history and became truth. - George Orwell 1984

cpeterso

Post by cpeterso » October 4th, 2008, 6:20 pm

:congratulations: Terry!!!

It's difficult at best to give up things we used to do before the ICD but, we manage to with time. Two years of your second life calls for a celebration... wishing you many years full of new adventures...

Cindy (used to have horses)

sjwright

Re: Two year aniversary and other milestone

Post by sjwright » July 6th, 2013, 11:19 pm

I was diagnosed two weeks ago and got ICD ten days ago. I have driven a big rig for 20 years. I am 49 years old and have lost my career. Have you been working the past two years? Any guidance is appreciated.

Eric

Re: Two year aniversary and other milestone

Post by Eric » July 7th, 2013, 12:14 am

SJ - You might want to post your question in the 2013 Post as most people will go there first. Luckily for you we have an ex-truck driver (Possibly several) whom are on this site and I know one checks the other forums regularly, but you might get better advice from them.
Wishing you the best as I understand how tough it can be to lose a career due to health issues.
Keep coming back and asking questions.

Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271