OT-Surgery with General Anesthesia

This is a forum for parents and kids with ICDs. Discuss issues unique to parents and kids, or just hang out with some newfound friends!

Moderator: Momof2HeartKids

CarmenW

OT-Surgery with General Anesthesia

Post by CarmenW » July 21st, 2009, 8:08 pm

My 3-year old daughter needs to have surgery to unclog a tear duct. I am very concerned because this will be done under general anesthesia. Any parents out there with experience with general anesthesia, especially with children. The surgery itself does not scare me, just the drugs. The tear duct gives her mild/moderate discomfort occasionally, but not all the time. I don't know if it's worth it. Thanks for any feedback.

Carmen

Elizabeth Martineau

Re: OT-Surgery with General Anesthesia

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » July 28th, 2009, 8:30 am

I just happened to see this under the unanswered posts, slipped by. When is the surgery, or did we miss it? Most of the
time the anesthesiologists have it so under control, she will not be in pain at all. They'll check out things like allergies, vital signs, etc., before the surgery. I hope it all goes well.

Momof2HeartKids
Forum Moderator

Post by Momof2HeartKids » July 29th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Hi Carmen,
I dont know what type of cardiac condition your daughter has, with ours there are different types of drugs that we cant have. I think it is important that you call and speak with your daughters cardiologist so he can speak directly with the doctor that is going to perform the surgery as well as the anesthesiologist. Wishing your daughter the best of luck with her surgery!!
Wishing You a Zap Free Day,
Cyndie

(Brugada Syndrome, Long QT Syndrome, Sick Sinus Syndrome, ICD & 2 children one with Brugada, ICD and one with Brugada, Long QT and removed ICD due to staph)

~guin

Post by ~guin » July 30th, 2009, 8:14 am

Hey Carmen;

I just noticed this post. Has Hailey(?) had surgery yet? My daughter now 20 years old had hernia surgery at Stanford at two weeks old. I never even thought about the anesthesia as the hernias were life threatening, but if you have a problem Stanford is the place to be.

On the other hand at 13 mos old, she had to have her tear ducts probed and tubes put in her ears. Again a surgery that needed to happen. This surgery however was performed in our local out patient area of Washington Hospital in Fremont. Needless to say she was fine and recovered very quickly. I know they are concerned about the amount of anesthesia to give little ones, and it seemed the appropriate amount for each of her surgeries as she was not out for long after being brought to the recovery room.

Keep us posted on your little one. The probbing is quick, but something that needs to be done under anesthesia for the safety of the patient.

I hope things go smoothly.
~guinImage :hrt :hrt :hrt :hrt :hrt
http://icdusergroup.org
Familial Dilated Cardiomyopathy
Sub Pectoral ICD Implant 9/1999
Medtronic Dual Chamber Evera XT DR
Replaced: 3/2000, 3/2006 & 9/2013

'Folks can be as happy as they make up their minds to be.' - Abraham Lincoln

CarmenW

Post by CarmenW » August 7th, 2009, 10:17 am

Thanks for replies.

Cyndie, as far as I know and certainly hope, my daughter does not have a heart condition and my EP/cardiologist thinks my condition is not likely to be hereditary. I'm just afraid of general anesthesia in general.

It turns out she doesn't need the surgery. I took her for a 2nd opinion, which I was skeptical about, because the only doctor my insurance would cover for a 2nd opinion was one of the partners of the 1st opinion. He said she absolutely doesn't need the surgery because her tear duct is only partially blocked, meaning she only suffers from it some of the time, not all the time. The first doctor barely looked at her, said she needed the surgery without even asking me any questions and then hurried us out of the exam room before I could even think of any questions.

This just goes to show how different one doctor can be from another, even in the same practice.

Guin, I'm pretty sure that if I wanted to go to Stanford, my insurance would not cover it.

Momof2HeartKids
Forum Moderator

Post by Momof2HeartKids » August 8th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Carmen Im so glad she ended up not needing the surgery. I had a similar situation with a 2 doctors in my OBGYN group, one saying one thing and one another. Im glad the doctors feel confident enough to go against another opinion right in the same practice, Im sure it dosent happen everywhere. The picture can be very different if the doctors dont ask the same questions and dont take the time to listen and let you ask questions, Im glad this one did for you and you dont have to worry about the anesthesia.
Wishing You a Zap Free Day,
Cyndie

(Brugada Syndrome, Long QT Syndrome, Sick Sinus Syndrome, ICD & 2 children one with Brugada, ICD and one with Brugada, Long QT and removed ICD due to staph)