Caught this on the news last night

This is a forum for parents and kids with ICDs. Discuss issues unique to parents and kids, or just hang out with some newfound friends!

Moderator: Momof2HeartKids

Greg P.

Caught this on the news last night

Post by Greg P. » February 10th, 2010, 11:26 pm

I'm a firm believer that before enter your child into school sports you should be required to see a cardiologist tohttp://www.wgntv.com/videobeta/?watchId ... 42bcea29a0

I was diagnosed at 17 with IHSS in 1978. How I survived all these years is beyond me. Back then they didn't know it caused SCD.

Elizabeth Martineau

Re: Caught this on the news last night

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » February 11th, 2010, 8:38 am

Thanks so much for posting this. My brother is a football and soccer coach for a large high school in Ft. Lauderdale and I will send this to him.

I lost an uncle at 16 due to sudden cardiac arrest, came home from football practice and laid on the couch and never got up. Also a cousin who was 26 and
dropped dead at the store he worked at. I agree with the statement in the video
that it's not all that uncommon.

zmom

Post by zmom » February 12th, 2010, 9:57 am

I totally agree in addition to the standard exam, doctors should also monitor their heart under exercise. In Zack's case his condition only shows up during exercise or stress; therefore, the normal tests such as, EKGs and Echos look normal since he's just lying down not being active.

I really hope doctors are becoming more aware of the need for early detection, which will in turn benefit more children.
wavhi
Janet "ZMom"
Mother of 16 yr old son with
St Jude Medical V168 ICD and
Ventricular Tachycardia (VT) with CPVT
Zack's motto:
"Making mistakes simply means you are learning faster"

Greg P.

Post by Greg P. » February 12th, 2010, 10:14 pm

zmom wrote:I totally agree in addition to the standard exam, doctors should also monitor their heart under exercise. In Zack's case his condition only shows up during exercise or stress; therefore, the normal tests such as, EKGs and Echos look normal since he's just lying down not being active.

I really hope doctors are becoming more aware of the need for early detection, which will in turn benefit more children.
wavhi
They state that they are only doing EKG's. Yes I agree that the testing should be more than an EKG.

I visited Parent Heart Watch.org and found the stories sadning due to AED's were availible but locked up with no access. They should be required to have it at the sporting event that is taking place or availible at all times duing practices.

zmom

Post by zmom » February 13th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Greg,
Our family was very fortunate that Zack's school had just received an AED and it's charge was completed one day prior to being used. The school knows first hand how important the AED is and now has 2 AEDs (one in the gym and one in the office) plus I think they always take one to sporting events (especially track meets).

We try to make the public more aware of this need and slowly we are making a difference.
:linejump:
Janet "ZMom"
Mother of 16 yr old son with
St Jude Medical V168 ICD and
Ventricular Tachycardia (VT) with CPVT
Zack's motto:
"Making mistakes simply means you are learning faster"