anyone with a child on a beta blocker

This is a forum for parents and kids with ICDs. Discuss issues unique to parents and kids, or just hang out with some newfound friends!

Moderator: Momof2HeartKids

Greg P.

anyone with a child on a beta blocker

Post by Greg P. » August 7th, 2010, 11:18 pm

My youngest daughter(3 yrs old) was diagnosed Friday with the same heart condition I have(IHSS) after they detected a murmur. The Cardiologist says it's minor right now and rare to show up at her age. He has has prescribed a beta blocker(don't no the name, still waiting to be filled) in liquid form. I know what it is like to be on it and hopefully she will adjust to it. She is so active, never tired. you would never know there was a problem. Hate to see her change. Just wondering if anyone else out there has children on beta blockers.

Our wait for filling the prescription is if it could be flavored.

kristinzzz

Re: anyone with a child on a beta blocker

Post by kristinzzz » August 9th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Greg,

Just thought i'd give you a little of my history. When I was 14, I was originally diagnosed with IHSS. It has now since changed, but at 14 they put me on beta blockers. I noticed some slight weigh gain then (5-10 lbs) and I was a little more tired. If I can remember that far back, as I'm 41 now, it was Inderal they first gave me. I was told then that I would always need to be on betablockers. (case in point, a few years back, I was with out of my betablocker for a couple of days and received some shocks). Good thing though, since being on the beta blocker and an arrythmia med, my case has improved. My gradient (thickening) in my heart as gotten smaller. Doc's believe this is due to the medicine maintenace I have been on all these years. I hope your daughter is doing well. I know there's quite a difference between 3 and 14, but I hope this info is helpful.
Take care~

offwall Kristin
ICD Medtronic Implanted October 2005
2nd ICD Medtronic Protecta Implanted June 2012 (Fidelis Lead removed/fractured)
3rd ICD ST JUDE implanted in April 2018
10 Shock Storm/ Feb. 2008
Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy

rjdooofj

Post by rjdooofj » August 10th, 2010, 7:01 pm

my niece has been on bata blockers since day one. She has an enlarged heart. She is doing great she is now 12. She knows what she can do and what she cant.

Hook

Post by Hook » September 12th, 2010, 1:05 pm

My little girl is 6 years old, and long QT syndrome. She always has these very fast HR inthe 115 to 130 range. I often wonder if these fast heart rates is where it all starts. If the doctors suggest BB I think I will support that.
Todd Taylor
St Judes ICD, implanted 9/14/2010 Vanderbilt