Device replacement

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

Melissa

Device replacement

Post by Melissa » March 9th, 2018, 7:23 am

Well, after 7.5 years, it's time for a new device. I went in on 2/16 and they did a check and said I had 4 months left. Then 10 days later it started beeping at me. So I am scheduled for replacement on 3/21. I'm not thrilled about having surgery but I guess I don't have much choice since this little device keeps me out of heart failure. It's been a good run with this device, I'm kind of sad to see it go. No shocks and no issues whatsoever. (other than setting off the grocery store alarm from time to time lmao4dx . As part of the prep, I had to have an echo last week. My first one in 5 years. In 2013 I had gotten up to 50% EF (up from 20% in 2010 when I got the ICD). So I was a bit nervous about what the results would be, but all is good. Still at a strong 50% maybe even 55%. I was beyond thrilled about that. So, please say a few prayers for me on 3/21 that all goes well and the leads look good and don't need replaced. (dr thinks they will be fine, but of course, I'm nervous)

Melissa
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day, aldactone 25mg/day. Second ICD implanted 3/18, also Boston Scientific CRT-D

luvmydogs

Re: Device replacement

Post by luvmydogs » March 9th, 2018, 8:51 am

Melissa, I will be thinking of you and hoping for an easy replacement surgery. It's such a pain to change things up when everything is going so smoothly...

BTW, how often does the unit beep at you? Since we both have Boston, I was curious. Can they shut the beeping off? That part would drive me insane I think!
Joanne (aka Jo)

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » March 9th, 2018, 9:25 am

My prayers will be for you. Replacements are usually a pretty easy procedure. Funny though how the expected life of the battery is really almost a guess.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Melissa

Post by Melissa » March 9th, 2018, 9:48 am

The beeping is suuuuuuuuper quiet. I only heard it the first night because I was in bed and getting ready to go to sleep. It goes off for about 10 seconds around 11:00 pm, 5am, 11am and 5pm . The day time ones are very very difficult to hear because there is usually so much going on around me. I did ask if they could turn it off, but they can't. But it really isn't a big deal at all because it is very quiet.
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day, aldactone 25mg/day. Second ICD implanted 3/18, also Boston Scientific CRT-D

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » March 9th, 2018, 10:03 am

How many times do I have to remind you guys if you pay for the merchandise before exiting the store those claxons don't go off?

Melissa, now is the time for you to start thinking about what features you want your new device to have. Features like a CD player would be nice. Or what about a phone app. And an absolute must is a GPS with audible turn by turn instructions, after all you are a woman and we all know how women are with directions. lmao4dx Congratulations on the incredible EF results, I know everytime your Avatar pops up a lot of the guys EF shoots up as well. Oh don't bother with an MRI compatible device since the FDA has finally realized that all devices are compatible (seriously)

Good luck kid. We'll keep you in our thoughts.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

InSync

Post by InSync » March 9th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Great news about the EF! I hope your replacement is uncomplicated and your leads are okay. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

superfletch

Post by superfletch » March 9th, 2018, 3:29 pm

Melissa, my prayers are with you!
Heart attack March 2015, ICD implant June 2017
meds: carvedilol, spironolactone, atorvastatin, lisinopril, levothyroxine, asprin

DebW

Post by DebW » March 9th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way Melissa!!! And big hugs too!
:big-hug: :big-hug: :big-hug: :big-hug:

Melissa

Post by Melissa » March 10th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers, it means a lot! I'll check back in after I have it replaced and let you all know how it went.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » March 11th, 2018, 8:59 pm

I wish you well... and I'm a little jealous that your warning is so quiet. Mine sounded more like this little guy, which is why my tagline reads as it does:

TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider » March 12th, 2018, 5:17 am

They giving you another Boston Scientific? They tell you how long CRT lasts? Is average now 7.5 years? Are you are continually re-synced? Isn't that what CRT does which in turn uses battery?

Melissa

Post by Melissa » March 12th, 2018, 6:04 am

Yes, they are giving me another Boston Scientific. Apparently once you have one brand, they stick with it. Mine did last 7.5 years and they all seemed amazed that it lasted that long considering that I am 100% paced. However, I didn't have any shocks or an conversions, so that probably helped it to last a little longer. They are telling me that the new device battery should last longer, but they didn't say how much longer.

InSync

Post by InSync » March 12th, 2018, 10:59 am

My CRT will have nearly 7 years lifespan when replaced. I'm vent paced near 100%, atrial paced around 10%, a handful of shocks, and considerable ATP. There is a thread from a few years ago that discussed battery usage and our Medtronic device tech member, flyingcamel, told us the average battery usage for various events. I'm guessing the battery model also plays a role.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » March 12th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Normal use of your battery is most likely the number one measurement. Although lead problems, extra recordings due to your heart make it record more than normal due to events and now it is with the new batteries and their longer life span.

The new ICD now give us a better lifespan of remaining battery life. It is not something to completely rely on. Mine went down real fast toward the end then sat at "replacement soon" for several weeks, then it finally beeped. We keep reading where a member has XX months left then the battery says, do it now.

By reading your quarterly reports you can see how much charge is left, according to the report. It should be close but you won't win a banana. By also knowing when your unit will beep (time it is set for) will help you not look at the smoke detector when you need to listen for the ICD.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » March 12th, 2018, 1:49 pm

With each new generation they develop ways to improve the life of the devices/batteries. Lithium Ion batteries were a huge leap forward in battery technology. Programming changes how they handle ATP and so on are all things that have helped extend the life of devices. Still the information they provide on life of a battery/device are estimates and many variables figure into the mix, not the least of which being "magic". It's known in the business as SWAG (Scientific Wild A** Guess). Bottom line not much we can do about it so why worry :duh:
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375