OT ? Measles

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

OT ? Measles

Post by mrag » April 29th, 2019, 10:30 am

Just read the following about the measles "outbreak." Anyone doing anything (besides shooting the anti vaxxers)?
People vaccinated in the United States since 1989 would most likely have received two doses of the combined measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) shot under federal guidelines, and that is still considered the standard for protection.

Anyone vaccinated between 1963 and 1989 would likely have received only one dose, with many people immunized in the earlier years receiving an inactivated version of the virus. Americans born before 1957 are considered immune as they would have been exposed to the virus directly in an outbreak.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

TruckerRon

Re: OT ? Measles

Post by TruckerRon » April 30th, 2019, 12:02 pm

mrag wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 10:30 am
Just read the following about the measles "outbreak." Anyone doing anything (besides shooting the anti vaxxers)?
People vaccinated in the United States since 1989 would most likely have received two doses of the combined measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) shot under federal guidelines, and that is still considered the standard for protection.

Anyone vaccinated between 1963 and 1989 would likely have received only one dose, with many people immunized in the earlier years receiving an inactivated version of the virus. Americans born before 1957 are considered immune as they would have been exposed to the virus directly in an outbreak.
I'll be asking my doctor about the boosters I need when I at my checkup next month. I already discovered about 15 years ago that we should all have pertussis boosters... by coughing my lungs up while crossing Texas on I-10. Of course I had the measles and mumps and chicken pox as a kid before those vaccines were available. At least there were polio and smallpox vaccines!

And I was told it's time for the second Hep A shot. That's the last of the ones they're talking us seniors into getting.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Melissa

Post by Melissa » May 1st, 2019, 5:14 pm

Ron, I think if you had the measles, you shouldn't need the vaccine. I read that yesterday somewhere, so you should be off the hook. I on the hand fall into a quagmire of unknown. I had the measles vaccine as an infant in 1973 (which was found to be ineffective) and then when I was a senior in high school they came in and revaccinated my our whole school. So I should have been covered, right? No......when I was a young adult trying to get pregnant I had to have proof that I had the MMR vaccine before the doc would give me a fertility work up. I couldn't find my records so she did a blood titer. No antibodies. So she vaccinated me, for the third time. Then a few years ago before we went traveling to the Amazon I mentioned this to the travel doc and he said that some people the vaccine just never produces antibodies and I am probably one of those people. Fantastic. I may get vaccinated one more time just for the heck of it, maybe it will finally take.
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day, aldactone 25mg/day. Second ICD implanted 3/18, also Boston Scientific CRT-D

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » May 1st, 2019, 10:30 pm

Im 100% certain i never got the vaccine...but im not sure i ever had the measles ....i do know i got the german measles....it was very common for kids to get both the diseases in ireland...in fact i think until the 1980 there wasnt a push on vaccines at all...i remember being pregnant on #3 and having blood tests to check i had immunity to rubella (german measles) because i was exposed and its pretty serious if you contact it while pregnant.i did have the antibodies....my three daughters got the measles in dublin the year before we came to canada and i never contracted it with them or during the time they were sick......they also got the chicken pox and whooping cough within a month of our arrival in toronto....neither did i contact these diseases.....the thought at the time was i probably had immunity from a childhood exposure...i dont know..........but i do know i had shingles last winter which is a form of chickenpox.. anyways with the autoimmune mix i have ive been advised now not to get any vaccinations at all....i had issues a couple of years ago with the flu shot and that H!N! shot....i have a lot of exposure to kids and their mixes of bugs at the school..and id hate to contract something and bring it home.....i know all the little ones here who are in my house have had the shots....im unsure really of what to do....
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » May 2nd, 2019, 5:31 pm

Melissa wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 5:14 pm
Ron, I think if you had the measles, you shouldn't need the vaccine. I read that yesterday somewhere, so you should be off the hook.
actually Melissa is right...and wrong. Depends on which strain of measles you had. If it were/was German Measles (AKA illegal immigrant measles), then not necessarily. The German Measles are a different strain. Then again, when we were kids we caught every germ coming down the pike so it's likely you are immune. I know I and my siblings had everything, Measles, German Measles, whooping cough, mumps, chicken pox, and on and on. They can test you for immunity
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » May 2nd, 2019, 10:40 pm

and this post reminded me of my grandmother....I didnt like her very much, she wasnt grandmotherly and she didnt like kids......i was probably a spoilt little brat, but nevertheless she could have made an effort IMHO i was her only grandchild at the time.......

So she came to stay because my parents were away and we didnt even pretend to have an armed truce...I was 7 and thinking back when i came down with the rash she probably had a breakdown, she was a germaphobic and now that i think about she probably had major OCD, so i refused to go to the drs and she dragged me by the shoulders aiming several smacks at me and between the swipes and miss aimed pushes and me yelling my lungs out.. ...we arrived in the clinic.....dr checks me.....and happy announces, Mrs Connolly your granddaughter has the german measles......she was shocked....aghast....and turned around to me squeaking...NO WAY do you have german measles, your not even allowed play anywhere cept the back garden......and have you been playing with german kids..???? to the dr she stands up to her full height and goes....My granddaughter certainly does not have german measles shes never been in germany, nor has anyone in the family..... and she certainly hasnt even talked to anyone FROM germany!!!!! the dr kicked us out.........and for the first time her and i bonded all the way home (25 min walk) we were both very annoyed with this stupid dr and she stopped and bought me an ice cream.......imagine...

this is why i will never forget my infection of the german mealses........and she never babysat me again lol......if indeed i did contract the regular measles they werent half as exciting which is why i dont remember lol
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!