I have a date!!

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

InSync

I have a date!!

Post by InSync » July 15th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Shocking I know!

After 3 years of trying to get my recalled St. Jude CRT replaced, it's happening!
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12

St. Jude CRT-D 7/19
The beat goes on.....

mykidsmom

Re: I have a date!!

Post by mykidsmom » July 16th, 2019, 7:35 am

whoohoo!!!! finally and what a relief..i dont even know why they bothered announcing these issues if they had no intention of replacing the units.....all it served was to stress people out and worry them.....im glad your scheduled in and it'll be such a relief to know your not marching around with a faulty unit inside you...and depending on it to save your life......good luck angel....hope the date is relatively soon.....x0x0
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

DebW

Post by DebW » July 16th, 2019, 11:15 am

YAY!!!!!!
tahdahh tahdahh tahdahh

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » July 16th, 2019, 12:02 pm

I'm disappointed. I expected a torrid romance story to follow!

dancee
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » July 16th, 2019, 4:05 pm

The room will be dim with mood lighting. A lot of toys, I mean instruments, will be at hand to enhance your experience. There'll be the guy playing doctor to examine and fondle you along with some voyuers. And well we're sorry you finally got a date and it's a stinking surgery, but at least you don't have to do it yourself, after all you've got a date
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

InSync

Post by InSync » July 20th, 2019, 6:42 am

I do love some mood lighting. I'm thinking more about the room full of folks waiting for their turn to get their hands on me. Surely a morning to remember.....

I asked the doc what he would replace with and he said typically it would be another of the same brand but if I wanted a different manufacturer, he would recommend Medtronic or BS. I don't care much about the brand, none are without faults and never will be. But I'm not happy with the way St. Jude handled the recall. I think I'll stick with them, though.

Thursday morning @ 6.
Save the date.
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12

St. Jude CRT-D 7/19
The beat goes on.....

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » July 21st, 2019, 11:01 am

oh you poor baby but im glad its finally happening.......and all will be ok..hugs..

conor is slated for surgery at exactly the same time here on thursday too....theyre redoing the stents or hoping to and will try to have a look at the tumors too...

good luck i'll be thinking of you..

InSync

Post by InSync » July 21st, 2019, 8:38 pm

How is he doing, Helen? In treatment? I hope he is improving.

:hugg:
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12

St. Jude CRT-D 7/19
The beat goes on.....

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » July 21st, 2019, 10:10 pm

just sent you off a pm updating you hugs....dont want to bore the pants off everyone here :big-hug:

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » July 25th, 2019, 11:44 am

so...how'd it go? We're anxiously awaiting word, and don't use anesthesia as an excuse for not reporting back... lmao4dx
Broken Heart

InSync

Post by InSync » July 25th, 2019, 8:33 pm

The deed is done!
This is my first changeout. It was very quick and easy. I got to the hospital at 6, went into the EP lab at 8:30, back in my holding cage at 10:00 and discharged at 11:45. I only had one IV this time...yay! I was awake for much of the implant, but I was out for the entire changeout. My anesthesiologist was a Swedish guy who just arrived in the US in July. He is beautifully interesting. I'm not a crybaby, but I have significantly more pain this time. Some pain at the incision, but mostly in my chest area. I'm not sure what that's about. After the implant, I had to remind myself not to lift the arm. This time, the pain reminds me. It might be muscular, I'm not sure, but it is much more sore this time. I had the standard Propofol, versed, and fentanyl combo. I know fentanyl is prone to make you itch, but I've never experienced that before. This time, I'm itching all over. I think I may be swelling. Perhaps I am a crybaby.

At implant, there was an Auschwitz survivor beside me. He had never removed the tattooed number from his arm. He had an interesting story and was joyful and loved life. Today, the guy next to me was odd, not really abrasive, but unpleasant. He talked a lot, so that made it worse. I don't know what he was there for. He went back a little before I did. He was already out when I came out. He was very loud & aggressive, saying he wanted to leave. He wanted to be home. He was sick of coming to the hospital. I guess someone touched his shoulder and told him they understood, because he became louder, saying he wanted people to stop patting his shoulder and telling him they understood. That if they hadn't had a heart transplant, they didn't understand. Then there was some activity and he said he was leaving, that this is the 4th time he had been to the hospital in the last month and that he wasn't coming back. I was on the transplant list in 2012. At that time, I think I would have jumped on the opportunity for a new heart. I would think he probably did too. But it must be a really difficult recovery and adjustment. I hope he doesn't have to go back to the hospital any time soon.
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12

St. Jude CRT-D 7/19
The beat goes on.....

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » July 26th, 2019, 11:15 am

Unpleasant, loud, aggressive, talking incessantly... so you did meet Mrag.

Glad they did the deed, you got to meet a dreamy Swedish doctorish, and you had a good time.

So to the 64cent question...how much time off does the Trucker give Hall Monitors when they get a recharge?
Broken Heart

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » July 26th, 2019, 11:28 pm

ROBO Pop wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 11:15 am
Unpleasant, loud, aggressive, talking incessantly... so you did meet Mrag.

Glad they did the deed, you got to meet a dreamy Swedish doctorish, and you had a good time.

So to the 64cent question...how much time off does the Trucker give Hall Monitors when they get a recharge?
I give 2 days after discharge. I'm a generous soul.

TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

InSync

Post by InSync » July 30th, 2019, 10:30 pm

I'm going to need an extension to that time off request, Ron.
My incision is infected.
This recovery has been really difficult. For some reason, I've had a lot of pain. So much that I can't lift my arm. I haven't slept more than 40 minutes at a time since Thursday night. My doc hasn't prescribed anything for pain so I've been taking a LOT of ibuprofen and Tylenol. My incision looks lie a kid in a blindfold made it with kindergarten scissors. Overall, I'm really unhappy with the care I've had from this doc.

On Saturday morning, I took the surgical dressing off as instructed and got the first look at my incision, which was horrible. By Sunday, it was oozing rusty looking fluid, swelling, warm to touch and generally looking very angry. Monday morning, I attempted to call my doc. My hospital, like most I assume, has a call center. You can't call directly into the office. It is nearly impossible to talk to anyone in the office. Finally late morning I just went to the office. The receptionist lectured me about my failure to use "the process" and make an appointment. When I told her the process failed me, I got another lecture.

Anyway, my incision is infected. It appears to be superficial and only in the incision right now. I was given antibiotics and return tomorrow for a check. If not resolved, the device and leads will have to be removed. The area around the incision is warm. I think less warm than it was on Monday. I haven't had a fever. It is still oozing goo and there are several places on the incision that look really gross. So, to you guys who have had infections, does that sound like the progression you took? Was anyone able to clear up an infection before it got into the pocket?
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12

St. Jude CRT-D 7/19
The beat goes on.....

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » July 31st, 2019, 7:14 am

OMG you poor angel this is terrible....I really hope it got caught in time and cleaned up well.....I had an infection a couple of years ago that lasted 6 months...

there was nothing i could have done to prevent the infection...but if the hospital had handled it correctly and in a timely manner it might have been different...

heres what i learned....firstly.....first sign of infection the heavy duty surgical crew are brought in..or should be........the incision needs to be cleaned, maybe scraped back or trimmed to remove any infectious bits..blood tests done immediately and the appropriate antibiotics given....in my case after a couple of weeks of the icd clinic fecking around i ended up on 4 different kinds of antibiotics..but the incision itself needed to be thoroughly about twice a day........the dressing redone..and i discovered well into this treatment that each clinic/hospital has a special nurse for looking after wounds of this kind...and also they have a mobile nurse that will come clean the wound and check it daily at home.....i didnt discover this till the end of the 6 months when i was being slated for the removal of the implant and the infection did clear up..i never had even a low grade fever..but i had the red/ugly some parts swelling....and after about a week i could actually get a bad smell from the wound...dont sit quietly thro this..you need the best attention and the most professional people and fast attention.....yes eventually they did manage to halt my infection....but i was on antibiotics constantly for more than 6 months..and the infection loomed its head again when i had foot issues a year or two and i ended up with another 6 months of incision treatment from a cut in my foot and almost lost the foot.....again i cant stress enough...dont sit and let them work at snails pace......rattle the cage..they gave you this infection they need to clear it up......when do you go back again......as i said the incision needs very regular changes of dressing...and maybe you need more than one type of antibiotic......and you need to see this special nurse if your clinic has one or else told where to go to see one......

hope all goes well angel...i know its very worrying and your right to be worried..but infections in this area need to be dealt with quickly and correctly.........because they can spread very fast.