The Newest Toy - Wii - The Electronic One

All posts from Jan 1, 2010 to Dec. 31, 2010

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

cindy mcpherson

The Newest Toy - Wii - The Electronic One

Post by cindy mcpherson » December 26th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Well folks, here is another question about electronics. My sister-in-law got the new Nintendo? Wii game for X-mas, and as she was setting up the game, I walked into the room. Now mind you, I had not had even a single PVC for a couple of days. I immediately began to feel "paced" and had to leave the room. It stopped shortly after I got to the back of the house. I thought "no way" so I went back to the living room where she and my husband were playing the bowling game with the hand held sensors. Well, I began to feel "paced" again and the PVC's were going wild. The ole heart was so irritated, that we had PVC's all the rest of the day. Now it's one day later and the PVC's were gone this am. Go Figure!! Need to get some advice from Medtronic on Monday. Anybody else have any input on this????

Cindy in Texas w/horses

PS, I don't get paced except at interrogations, so it wasn't a normal function of my ICD/Pacemaker. But I do know what it feels like from the Test runs.

melland

Post by melland » December 26th, 2008, 7:43 pm

I've seen the topic discussed on some other boards. Some people seem to be bothered by it and others not. It will be interesting to see what Medtronics has to say. I believe someone else tried to contact Nintendo but they were non commital about the subject and mostly gave CYA answers that sounded like they came from their legal department.
Tim

ICD = I Can't Die

Medtronics Concerto - October 23, 2008 reached end of service 13 December 2013
Medtronics Viva S - 13 December 2013

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it is much more important than that!

sunny4az

Post by sunny4az » December 26th, 2008, 8:15 pm

We have had a Wii for about a year now and usually play about an hour 2-4 days a week. I have never felt or noticed anything in connection with my ICD/pacemaker. The last 3 interrogations have shown pacing at less than 2%. I may not be typical, I have never felt anything from my device except the BIG shock--- a total of 11 times.
Joel in sunny Arizona

Medtronics Maximo 7232CX. Mexiletine 150MG 2X, Coreg CR 40MG 1x, Lisinopril 2.5MG 1X, Plavix 75MG 1X

3-life saving therapies and 1 electrical storm w/8 zaps

Kathy B

Post by Kathy B » December 26th, 2008, 9:22 pm

I got one for each of my kids for Christmas and did not notice any extra pacing. I did not play the game just watched.
Kathy B
Four open heart surgeries
Lung surgery for paralyzed diaphragm
Seven stents
Stroke
Brain bleed
Pacemaker upgraded to ICD due to SCD episode
Multiple ablations but back in afib 24/7
Loss of my spouse Jim 6-17-2008
Meeting a new Jim
Marry Jim 9-26-2009
New ICD, Concerto and Fidelis lead removal 12-11-2009

Lacey

Post by Lacey » December 27th, 2008, 12:12 am

We have the wii and never feel anything like that.. Now the hoover airplanes are a different story..
lAcEY

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 27th, 2008, 2:44 am

My Neice got one and yes it is relevant, it is even written in the instructions as a warning. Apparently it is the laser that is used to interact, so you may have been in the laser range. The others on here who can use it are lucky, the fitness one looks great, but I am not even game enough to try it. It may only be the Australian ones that have the warning, but it is definately there.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

~guin

Post by ~guin » December 27th, 2008, 6:22 am

My kids got a Wii for xmas and I was sitting behind them as they played -- no problems for me. No problems with the X-box Rockband either. But then again I don't play - but I am near them.

Cindy - your ICD DOES have the pacing capability. It may not have been the pacing that you felt, but your ICD will try to pace you out of an abnormal rhythm before delivering a shock. Wow your heart is very sensitive. My daughter and her boyfriend were sitting in massage chairs in the store and Dave - said "hey - come try this". I said - no, I can't -- I don't even try those things - they scare me - and I have never tried them....

~guin :snowman:

KROB

Post by KROB » December 27th, 2008, 11:09 am

My kids got a Wii for Christmas and I spent an hour with the Wii fitness working out this morning with no problems. I have used the Wii for the last couple of days with no problems.

Kevin

Lacey

Post by Lacey » December 27th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Does the massage chairs mess with ppl with icd?? WEll it sounds to me it just depends on the person or the icd right?? I want to know everything that messes with us ...
lAcEY

As You Wish

Post by As You Wish » December 27th, 2008, 1:45 pm

We have Wii, playstation 3 and 3 laptops and 3 regular pcs all connected in a wirless router. Can you say geek world. I have not noticed a connection with my paceing I even walk between the controlers and the main equipment while they are playing. Sometimes I even stop to irritate them :twisted: . I will pay more attention now, just to see if there is any connection. Could there be, absolutly, it all depends on your unit and settings.

I honestly think I set the alarm off at Walmart the other day. Everything when back through but me and it would not go off again. I carry my car key, cell phone, chapstick and a small wallet in my jeans and that is it. What else could it have been? My son was carring my cell phone and he went through twice no problem. I did not voluteer to go back through, and noone ask they just waved me on. Been back a few times and no problem since so who knows.

If I bend over for any length of time I can feel it start, I have to stand up and take deep breaths and cough and usually back on track.
Dawn

CHF since 6/2007 Medtronic Biventicular ICD since Febuary 6, 2008

"If you think that was shocking stand me by a microwave"

"Live! Live! Live! life's a banquet and some poor suckers are starving"

~guin

Post by ~guin » December 27th, 2008, 1:56 pm

Lacey wrote:Does the massage chairs mess with ppl with icd?? WEll it sounds to me it just depends on the person or the icd right?? I want to know everything that messes with us ...
There are magnets in the chairs which do "mess" with ICD - it is the magnetic interference. There are warning in the literature for people with pacemakers. The chair will not harm you, but it will interrupt the workings of the ICD. It could deliver inappropriate therapy, reprogram the unit, or just not be able to work at all should you need therapy. The unit should return to normal once you leave the chair. It is the same way with any magnetic firld, such as the security arches in stores etc.
We have Wii, playstation 3 and 3 laptops and 3 regular pcs all connected in a wirless router. Can you say geek world.
We are the same way in our household! We even have the Xbox and Game Cube in addition to the above!

~guin :snowman:

As You Wish

Post by As You Wish » December 27th, 2008, 2:47 pm

We are the same way in our household! We even have the Xbox and Game Cube in addition to the above!

Funny I have been hearing talk of an Xbox, My Sons B'day is in December and he has lots of gift cards. So he and my Brother-in-law and Husband are all talking like I can't hear them.

I like some of the games like boom blocks and mario racing for the wii and of couse wii sports. They all came about it honestly from my Mother in law who got a nintendo ds for christmas last year. The only big rule is during school the 10 year old is limited to 1 hour a day and the older boys wait until after my son goes to bed to play anything M rated with headphones. On the weekends my son has to earn time by reading or playing outside etc.
Dawn

CHF since 6/2007 Medtronic Biventicular ICD since Febuary 6, 2008

"If you think that was shocking stand me by a microwave"

"Live! Live! Live! life's a banquet and some poor suckers are starving"

Lacey

Post by Lacey » December 27th, 2008, 3:37 pm

We must be nerds too cause we have the wii xbox computers playstations, psp and etc.. ITs crazy if you think about it right .. And we have a family of three my bf, my son, and me..
lAcEY

oleblueize

Re: The Newest Toy - Wii - The Electronic One

Post by oleblueize » April 11th, 2009, 11:57 pm

My device is a Boston Scientific CRT-D and they said that the fit board is OK if it communicates with the Wii console in the same frequencies as the remote. I contacted Nintendo and was emailed the frequecy levels for the wii remote and the wii fit board. The levels are pretty much the same as a bluetooth and the remote and the fit board are close too.
I have not had any problems with my device.
Cathy
ICD CRT-D 2/2/09

laxmom18

Re: The Newest Toy - Wii - The Electronic One

Post by laxmom18 » July 22nd, 2009, 9:46 pm

Cindy,
We got a week about 1 year ago and I have never had a problem. The only time I questioned something was when we got the wii fit. I have a guidant device and I contacted them. They had no documentation of any problems. I tried it and called tghem back to let them know there was no problem. The only recommendation they had was not to lay on the board or put my chest near it. I hope you figure out the problem. Let us know how it goes.
We all have a guardian angel watching over us so lean on them when we are down!!