Hard time sleeping through the night....

All posts from Jan 1, 2010 to Dec. 31, 2010

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

luz1055

Hard time sleeping through the night....

Post by luz1055 » September 28th, 2009, 11:26 pm

I have been waking up between 4-4:30 for nearly a week. I am tired when I head to bed and have been trying to stay awake during the day. Well it doesn't seem to be working. moodbad I have been told by the cardiac rehab nurse to take Tylenol PM and after talking to the pharmacist, he told me that the ingredient in Tylenol PM is benadryl and that it shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone taken sleeping aids and if so which one which worked well. I am afraid that it may have the opposite effect on me and make me wired for sound. Anyone???

Lucy

~guin

Re: Hard time sleeping through the night....

Post by ~guin » September 29th, 2009, 12:03 am

I had the same problem -- I was told by my OB-GYN it was menopause... Not something I wanted to hear. Anyway, I tried an organic night time tea. Worked for me and was ok'd by my cardio. There is also a Sleepy Time Tea.

I don't like to take anything either, but the tea got me through my hump. I also learned at interrogation that I was having runs at VT at the same time of the night....
~guinImage :hrt :hrt :hrt :hrt :hrt
http://icdusergroup.org
Familial Dilated Cardiomyopathy
Sub Pectoral ICD Implant 9/1999
Medtronic Dual Chamber Evera XT DR
Replaced: 3/2000, 3/2006 & 9/2013

'Folks can be as happy as they make up their minds to be.' - Abraham Lincoln

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 29th, 2009, 10:08 am

Oh My Gosh, so my waking every night at 3:30 is menopause ? I guess in my case it would be womenopause.

There actually is a point to my smart a$$ remark, perhaps it's not related to menopause. I know enough other heart patients who struggle with sleep to indicate (Allbeit anectdotal) there may be a correlation to heart disease and chronic sleeplessness.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Mark

Post by Mark » September 29th, 2009, 10:21 am

Lucy,

I asked my cariod and he suggested Benedryl.... it works and keeps my nose from running. :lol: You can get the generic at any Walmart for about 4 bucks for a bottle of 100. Make sure to ask him if you can do this, and if so it works well.

luz1055

Post by luz1055 » September 29th, 2009, 10:51 am

ROBO Pop wrote:Oh My Gosh, so my waking every night at 3:30 is menopause ? I guess in my case it would be womenopause.

There actually is a point to my smart a$$ remark, perhaps it's not related to menopause. I know enough other heart patients who struggle with sleep to indicate (Allbeit anectdotal) there may be a correlation to heart disease and chronic sleeplessness.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Say it ain't so!!! tanty
Lucy

July 09/St. Jude CRT-D 3211-36
7Aug14/VivaXT CRT-D
NI/DCM; CHF, (NYHA Class III,ACC/AHA Stage C); Orthostatic Hypotension; Angina
Coreg 25mg/2x, Digoxin 0.125mg, Omega-3 Fish Oil 1200mg/2x, Atacand 2mg, Spironolactone 12.5mg, Imdur 120mg
5/25/11 Ablation constant PVC's/successful
8/4/11 RV Lead rev (7120/65 Durata) & ICD Pocket Repair (TEE performed)
Aug. 2012 - Dr. Michael Fowler @ Stanford for Pre-Transplant

luz1055

Post by luz1055 » September 29th, 2009, 10:59 am

Kramozzam wrote:Lucy,

I asked my cariod and he suggested Benedryl.... it works and keeps my nose from running. :lol: You can get the generic at any Walmart for about 4 bucks for a bottle of 100. Make sure to ask him if you can do this, and if so it works well.
Mark......that is what i was told as well, but was a little afraid to take it. I'm a big chicken and hate taking new stuff for fear that it will do something 'NEW' for me to be worried about. :pullhair: I'm a nutcase......don't hate!!! offwall

Lucy

luz1055

Post by luz1055 » September 29th, 2009, 11:03 am

ROBO Pop wrote:Oh My Gosh, so my waking every night at 3:30 is menopause ? I guess in my case it would be womenopause.
Edwinn,

You totally crack me up "WOMANOPAUSE!!!". I love your humor. Maybe when I wake up at 4 am you can come and perform comedy at the foot of my bed. Wouldn't that be a hoot. Would keep my mind off of everything that runs through it.....that has no place in there at that time of the morning!! Sheesh!

Lucy :bananas: :bananas:

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 29th, 2009, 11:53 am

Lucy ~ I might as well entertain you too, everytime I get in bed with my wife she just laughs hysterically. Something about assualt with a dead weapon
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

luz1055

Post by luz1055 » September 29th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Edwinn.......bad bad boy! You are funny. :lol: How does your wife put up with you????? whewsmile

lostit

Post by lostit » September 29th, 2009, 6:02 pm

I too have same problem, interesting enough I had a sleep study and when I woke at 4am they said I had tachycardia. When I wore a monitor before my icd, it picked up vtach at 4:10am. They told me 4am is REM sleep time. No clue or answer for you but I can relate.
Anita

luz1055

Post by luz1055 » September 29th, 2009, 8:52 pm

lostit wrote:I too have same problem, interesting enough I had a sleep study and when I woke at 4am they said I had tachycardia. When I wore a monitor before my icd, it picked up vtach at 4:10am. They told me 4am is REM sleep time. No clue or answer for you but I can relate.
Anita
Anita....that is very interesting. I will certainly pay attention and may just have to see about the sleep study. Where was your study performed??? I have had added stress in my life and for some reason that seems to be the time I have been waking up on a regular basis and then my mind won't shut down and I am awake until the alarm which is 6 am. I try and try to go back to sleep to no avail. huhhh

tombruce

Post by tombruce » September 29th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Ambien...works like a top. Been takin it for years as I could not sleep thru the PVC's.

Tom

Allen59

Post by Allen59 » September 29th, 2009, 9:12 pm

I have found, after years of study, that 3 shots of Jack Daniels Black Label, a half hour before bedtime, will make you sleep like a baby all night. harharhar

Allen

luz1055

Post by luz1055 » September 29th, 2009, 10:10 pm

Allen59 wrote:I have found, after years of study, that 3 shots of Jack Daniels Black Label, a half hour before bedtime, will make you sleep like a baby all night. harharhar

Allen
Oh Allen.......I would be comatose!!! :thud: crazzzzy How I miss my dirty martini's though :wink:

Kat

Post by Kat » September 29th, 2009, 11:11 pm

luz1055 wrote:
Allen59 wrote:I have found, after years of study, that 3 shots of Jack Daniels Black Label, a half hour before bedtime, will make you sleep like a baby all night. harharhar

Allen
Oh Allen.......I would be comatose!!! :thud: crazzzzy How I miss my dirty martini's though :wink:
Ahhh alchohol. I have a special place in my heart for vodka martinis. sigh.

I have to take it easy now though... if I have one to many or one and a heavy meal I am up all night. If I don't have enough I am up around 3 AM. It is a struggle, but I keep trying that happy balance of vodka and sleep.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694