Tattoo

All posts from Jan 1, 2010 to Dec. 31, 2010

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

Donna London ON

Tattoo

Post by Donna London ON » June 6th, 2010, 2:01 am

Now I'm very new to your group. But I thought I would ask a question that I was asked yesterday. And that is, does anyone have a tattoo over their implant site ? I don't have a tattoo, and it's not something that I've ever considered, but my neighbour and my husband thought it would be a symbol of a "badge of courage" - some of that comes from having seen an article where several women who are breast cancer survivors, of which I am one (10 years now), had tattoos on their BC scars. Just wondering ?
Donna
CHF Jan 2010 following viral pneumonia
EF 20% Jan.; 30% May
Carvedilol 12.5; Spironolactone 12.5, Lasix 40
ICD May 27, 2010-Telegen E102 (Boston Scientific) " ... the smallest, thinnest high-energy ICD in the world ...."
30 yr Ins. Dep. Diabetic, 10 yr Breast Cancer Survivor, Sarcoidosis (Lungs) 2004
GLAD to be planting daisies instead of pushing them up .... !

Suzanne

Re: Tattoo

Post by Suzanne » June 6th, 2010, 8:23 am

I would say it's not a good idea because you have to have the ICD replaced every 4-7 years or so and each time your cut open I would think it would mess up the design of the tattoo.
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

brucerob

Post by brucerob » June 6th, 2010, 5:17 pm

I don't think it would be a good idea to have a tattoo placed over my device since it is just under the skin.
BUT you did stir my imagination, I envision a tattoo picture of my device and leads with a zipper showing where to open me up for the replacement. :D

Bruce
Bruce

1st: Implanted 5/30/08, re-implanted 6/30/08, removed 5/2/14
2nd: implanted 5/2/14, removed 11/29/16
3rd: Implanted on right side 12/2/16

Received therapy on 7 occasions, all appropriate

tiggershere

Post by tiggershere » June 6th, 2010, 8:21 pm

I asked my doc about tattoos. He said it's fine anywhere else on the body, but the 6" rule applies, as a tattoo machine is electric. And others have mentioned the next surgery will scar it up.

Just my opinion, but I can't imagine the pain of getting a tattoo over my implant site. Gotta say, it makes me catch my breath just to imagine it. I still have pain around it.

Rose
Long QT Syndrome
Boston Scientific Teligen ICD

ladyheart

Post by ladyheart » June 7th, 2010, 12:31 pm

I have thought of getting a small tattoo on my arm or somewhere, saying that I am on anticoagulants and have a pacemaker in case I get in an accident. I carry my cards in my wallet in my purse, but I really don't like wearing the medical bracelet. (I am allergic to most metals, beside, the affordable bracelets are clunky). I don't know if a paramedic would recognize the term "ICD". The words: pacemaker/defibrillator would be way too long. So, I just let the thoughts go, but I'd like to hear more about people's thoughts on this subject.

Bruce, your idea about the zipper is a funny one! Maybe we should have all gotten that BEFORE we got our implants and that could be the universal symbol to emergency medical people for an icd!
Lori
Idiopathic Cardiomyopathy & CHF 1996
Mitral Valve Replacement 1997
first ICD 2005, Guidant
second ICD 2010, St. Jude
Sudden Cardiac Arrests: 1 in 2005, 10 in 2009

Donna London ON

Post by Donna London ON » June 9th, 2010, 12:30 am

Thanks for your words of wisdom, everyone. The tattoo over the implant didn't seem like a very feasible idea because of the "6 inch" rule but thought I would ask nonetheless. Personally if it were feasible, I love Bruce's "Zipper" idea ! I'm at a point in my life now where I'm no longer feeling reticent about getting a tattoo because no one would expect ME to do so. That said, I'm sure I'd still go for something "discreet" ! But it's probably somewhat painful and I've had enough of pain for a while ! There's always tomorrow.
Donna
EF 20% Jan.; 30% May
ICD May 27, 2010-Telegen E102 (Boston Scientific) " ... the smallest, thinnest high-energy ICD in the world ...."
30 yr Ins. Dep. Diabetic, 10 yr Breast Cancer Survivor, Sarcoidosis (Lungs) 2004

Kat

Post by Kat » June 9th, 2010, 11:52 am

Hi all, just a note from your friendly moderator.... this was showing up in the archive forum from 2007. I moved this to the main forum as it is a current post/topicd and so others could join in.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

turboz24

Post by turboz24 » June 9th, 2010, 5:00 pm

I would think it would also have to do with how deep the tattoo needle goes. I'm not sure how deep they usually tattoo, but if you ICD is like mine, it probably only has between 1/16th and 1/8th of flesh over it.

Apparently skin is between .07" and .11" thick, then you get into padding.

uksteve
Hunk

Post by uksteve » June 9th, 2010, 7:24 pm

Im sure there is a member on here who had a tattoo done to comemerate his ICD inplant ,dont think it was over the inplant site though,maybe above or below im not sure Steve
They say lightning does'nt strike twice...."They" dont have an ICD!!! -Steve G

I believe in re-incarnation , my headstone wont say RIP instead it will say BRB

"The mind is like a parachute, it only only works when it is open"- Frank Zappa (In Memory of Mark)

karslake

Post by karslake » June 9th, 2010, 9:32 pm

Until I became allergic to the glue - about 5 years ago - I always wore stick-on tattoos on my chest, Mainly so people could admire(?) them instead of looking at my scar. I am so fickle I couldn't have a real one, so with the stick-ons I changed them every couple of days:- flowers, birds, flags, kangaroos, etc. etc.
Eve & Blabbermouth 111

Donna London ON

Post by Donna London ON » June 10th, 2010, 2:24 am

Eve - I'm liking your suggestion re the stick ons ! On one of our "away" weekends with 6 of my "Breast Cancer pals", we all decided to do that and get ankle bracelets and toe rings ! We were "THEE BABES" ! And like you, I will join you in your quest to "Grow Old Disgracefully" !

Donna
EF 20% Jan.; 30% May

revken

Post by revken » June 10th, 2010, 5:30 am

I've been considering a tattoo since I had the implant, but unsure about what to do. One of my original ideas was a heart with a sparkplug in it :) one day maybe I'll do something about it.
Medtronic Secura DR implanted 28th November, 2009.

Greg a

Post by Greg a » June 10th, 2010, 9:14 am

VERY creative ideas here ....now if only we could animate them like the smiies dancehearts or maybe a heart with jumper cables or maybe as I have often thought a simple "NO nononono COMPRESSIONS" across my chest as when I awoke from my sternectomy there was a hand written sign over my bed that said "NO COMPRESSIONS" ......I worried that something I did or said had crossed the line with my wife ....NO SHE DID NOT POST IT dancee my nurses just didn't want to do me in without having a sternum as surely CPR would have !!!! Still wondering about the rest of the family though !!!!! jestersmile

didntdoit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LIVE
LOVE
LAUGH
ITS ALL GOOD

ABOUT ME:
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... &start=570

Mike Thurston

Post by Mike Thurston » June 10th, 2010, 11:59 am

If you worry about someone knowing about your condition and Meds. try a Road I.D. I wear mine all the time and it has all my info on it.
" If you smile at me I will understand , because that is something everybody, everywhere does in the same language"

Charles Accardi

Post by Charles Accardi » June 10th, 2010, 1:45 pm

I know the "tattoo" subject has come up before, you might to a seach here to find it.
I believe it had photos.

:cool:
Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's addressed to someone else. ~ Ivern Ball
Guidant-ICD August 13, 2003
Replacement (battery) January 19, 2009