Bob’s Homemade Creamy Tomato Soup

Please make sure to cite and give credit to whomever created these recipes.
freckles1880

Bob’s Homemade Creamy Tomato Soup

Post by freckles1880 » May 27th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Bob’s Homemade Creamy Tomato Soup (aka Freckles1880)
Low sodium and low calorie

Ingredients:
2 14 oz cans of diced tomatoes with no salt added.
1 6 oz can of no salt added tomato paste instead of the ½ and ½ fat free
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon Oregano leaves
1 Teaspoon garlic
Pinch of red hot pepper flakes
Ground Pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon of Italian spice
1 Tablespoon basil leaves
2 Cups of low sodium chicken broth
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup virgin olive oil
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 bay leaves
Chopped chives (to garnish with)

Place the chopped onions in a saucepan and cook with a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.

Place tomatoes with juice and add brown sugar, vanilla, garlic, ground pepper, basil leaves, Oregano leaves, Italian spice, chopped onions and hot red pepper into regular blender and blend until smooth. Place the mixture in a saucepan. (I put chicken broth in blender after the mixture has been removed to get remaining mixture then add it to the saucepan). Add bay leaves, chicken broth, (optional; fat free ½ and ½ and butter). Cook until boiling. Then simmer at least 15 minutes. Stir until well mixed. Remove Bay leaves prior to serving. Garnish with Chives and serve. Left over will store in refrigerator and will thicken a little.

Yields about 7 cups. Total salt added was 140 mg from the tomatoes, 140 from the chicken broth, and 240 from the ½ and ½. 500 mg total divided by 7 cups is about 90mg per cup. Calories would be about 140-150 per cup. Also, by adding a 6 oz can of no salt added tomato paste instead of fat free ½ and ½ you DECREASE sodium by about 13 mg per cup.

Optional: 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 cup of ½ and ½ fat free
celery and carrots to the mix.

Also, some may like 3 slices of bread (no crust) cooked into the soup instead of fat free ½ and ½. Finally; by not adding the butter and increasing the Olive oil you make it Lactose free.
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.