Search capabilities

This folder is for any ideas, thoughts, rants or ramblings that you might want to discuss or bring to everyone's attention pertaining to the physical aspect of the board. (example- styles, posts, look of the board, homepage work, etc)
KzooICD

Search capabilities

Post by KzooICD » March 1st, 2010, 9:32 pm

I am preparing a presentation for our local support group and it dawned on me that a nice feature for this site would be the ability to search for the following:

Family status

While this might require some additional meta data, I think it might help members find other members with either a similar situation as theirs in order to help find support for their specific need.

Just a suggestion....but realize this is quite an undertaking.

Thanks,
Dom
Dual-chamber ICD
Implant Date: 01 Oct 2004

9 VF/ 3 VT episodes...8 ATP shocks...4 Full Shocks...
Ha Ha Ha...I laugh at you cats with only 9 lives!!

Elizabeth Martineau

Re: Search capabilities

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » March 2nd, 2010, 7:57 am

I think that's a great idea. As far as how do-able it is, I'm sure Mark will be the one who knows.
Elizabeth

Kat

Re: Search capabilities

Post by Kat » March 2nd, 2010, 12:46 pm

At first brush, this is a great idea. I agree that it would be helpful to find others in similar situations. It really helps when you can connect with someone that is going through the similar stresses.

However, one of the things that we have to do is balance privacy of our members information from outside interests. It is one thing to share with peers, it is another to be used in a blind study without permission or notice. You would be surprised at how many times we are contacted by doctors and clinics wanting our member information for some study or another. And we all have to remember that this is an internet board and inforamtion control is a constant issue. This board has purposely been set up to be a place where everyone can come and not worry about lawyers, doctors, clinics and so on will be trying to use the information for their own ends. If we capture this data, we have to have a way to make sure it is protected from prying eyes.

I will post this information up on the moderator board and we will chat it over with Mark. I think there is a way that this can be done that still protects our members privacy. Regular members will not be able to see this conversation so I just wanted to post that it is going on and hang tight. Once we have some options we will move the conversation back to the main board or contact you directly.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694