We Are Doing This All Wrong

Links to news stories of interest to heart patients.

Moderator: Moderators

Michael L

We Are Doing This All Wrong

Post by Michael L » November 22nd, 2015, 7:48 am

Very interesting read, before going to the hospital, see if the Chief Cardiologis is out of town....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/opini ... .html?_r=0
Biotronik Ilesto 7 implanted May 5, 2014
CABG 3X February 1998

freckles1880

Re: We Are Doing This All Wrong

Post by freckles1880 » November 22nd, 2015, 8:24 am

wowwow Who would have thought. Interesting. I guess when the best doctors are assigned to the hospital they attract very good assistants.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » November 22nd, 2015, 9:58 am

I sorta think though that teaching hospitals are the best....fresh young minds and all that...Ive read something similar before though byt when i questioned my drs on it regarding the amount of pills we take...and the 4 question question...they laughed at me.....im still a believer that less medical treatment is more....and that much of the testing we go thro is totally useless too in that it doesnt really have an impact on diagnosis or treatment.
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

Leedur

Post by Leedur » November 22nd, 2015, 10:44 am

Fortunately, for 17 years, my treatments, etc. have been performed by one cardiologist. Seems part of this study would apply more to someone having a first time emergency.

From a patient in distress viewpoint, don't think they would care who was the head of cardiology as long as something was being done to bring relief. Guess a family member could inquire as to who might be the best doctor if time allowed.

My city has a large medical school hospital and reportedly the best ER trauma treatment facility, however, most patients that go there have neither the funds nor insurance to pay for treatment, unless they now are covered by "free" Obamacare along with the "free" cell phones given out across the street.

David882

Post by David882 » November 22nd, 2015, 8:12 pm

However, I did not understand the study to determine a reason.
In other words was this a type I error where an effect that is not present, is identified as being present.
Did not see an explanation of the type 1 or type 2 error analysis or if it was done.
I could not find an explanation of how the study or results were validated.
Nor was there any evidence that the study has undergone any independent review.
For example when the "big dog" is out of town are more difficult case routed to another treatment center?

i did not understand the article to explaine how the "Big Dog" was identified.
Perhaps the study was inadvertently identifying an administrative position as the "Big dog", because titles can be misleading.
Says the safety engineering running with scissors.

A single news report does not make good science.
With Respect,
David

11 Sept 2012 / Idiopathic Ventricular Fibrillation
At about 2AM I started storming at home, and in the ambulance, and in the ER.
Sometimes I restated and sometimes I had to be defibrillated.
A number of times I went into arrest and stopped breathing.
External defibrillation count exceeded 18 and at some point the team induced a coma.
24 hours later I was revived and have never had another event.
13 Sept 2012 / Medtronic ICD was implanted.
My diagnosis is still idiopathic.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » November 22nd, 2015, 10:27 pm

nope...it doesnt..your right......you know dealing with the medical profession in ireland...you never saw the big dog lol.....you saw the minions who presented your case to him.....and the decision on treatment generally came by consensus.........odd to us here in North america..
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » November 28th, 2015, 1:53 am

David882 wrote:However, I did not understand the study to determine a reason.
In other words was this a type I error where an effect that is not present, is identified as being present.
Did not see an explanation of the type 1 or type 2 error analysis or if it was done.
I could not find an explanation of how the study or results were validated.
Nor was there any evidence that the study has undergone any independent review.
For example when the "big dog" is out of town are more difficult case routed to another treatment center? ...
My first thought when reading the article was "don't they usually give the hardest cases to the most experienced staff?" Amongst ourselves don't we tell each other to find the best clinics, the best surgeons, the most experienced when having tricky procedures?

We're loading the dice in our favor; the researchers are finding what they're looking for (headlines!) but not what they think they're finding. Separating and recognizing cause & result is difficult in most field, but especially so in medical research.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099