End of Life and Heart Rhythm Devices

Links to news stories of interest to heart patients.

Moderator: Moderators

freckles1880

End of Life and Heart Rhythm Devices

Post by freckles1880 » December 14th, 2015, 9:12 am

For those of us who want to make sure our families understand our needs.

wavhi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Grammaram

Re: End of Life and Heart Rhythm Devices

Post by Grammaram » December 14th, 2015, 8:50 pm

I thought the piece was well written; it was informative, and also sensitive to the seriousness of the topic. I guess I still want to think I've got a lot of "time" left and haven't really made an effort to do any end of life planning. Maybe it's just pre-procedure jitters, but I am now wondering if I should start thinking about putting something in writing for my family for the future. Maybe that's a question I could throw out here: at what point should we consider creating a living will/ advance directives? Im thinking it's still too early for me to go polishing up my golf clubs, but I also know I'm at a point where things could happen that are life changing.

Margaret wavhi
Congenital Heart Disease - Tetralogy of Fallot - repaired Sept. 1966
Medtronic Evera S DR Implanted May 22,2014

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 15th, 2015, 8:28 am

Grammaram wrote:Maybe it's just pre-procedure jitters, but I am now wondering if I should start thinking about putting something in writing for my family for the future. Maybe that's a question I could throw out here: at what point should we consider creating a living will/ advance directives? Im thinking it's still too early for me to go polishing up my golf clubs, but I also know I'm at a point where things could happen that are life changing.

Margaret wavhi
Although many of us who are age challenged may think of the need for the documents they are really necessary for everyone. When you consider so many ways a family can be made to think about the worse because of an auto or some other type accident. I also expect to be around for a while as there are many things I have yet to do, but things do happen. Making the decision for living wills and advance directives should be made now and updated if necessary. It saves loved ones a lot of unnecessary grief later.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

lilbit33

Post by lilbit33 » December 16th, 2015, 11:27 pm

Grammaram wrote:Maybe that's a question I could throw out here: at what point should we consider creating a living will/ advance directives? Im thinking it's still too early for me to go polishing up my golf clubs, but I also know I'm at a point where things could happen that are life changing.

Margaret wavhi
That is a great and very important question. I agree with Freckles in that things do happen that we do not expect. I am barely into my 20s and have made a will and all that and have my parents as my advance directives, as they know my wishes. I see it as just a safety net, a thing in the background or like a body guard who watches and is only there if there is trouble (analogies work for my mind to comprehend and accept things). I dont expect to need it now or in the near future, but knowing I have the medical issues I have, it is comforting knowing should something happen, I have the right things in place to have the best care/plan for me :)
"As the world keeps turning, there is a fire burning, deep within my soul."

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » December 17th, 2015, 8:42 pm

so i didnt see anywhere in the article about HOW to switch them off....id hate to be on my last breath and my last visual to be poor willie sitting on a magnet on my chest....??
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 18th, 2015, 8:59 am

mykidsmom wrote:so i didnt see anywhere in the article about HOW to switch them off....id hate to be on my last breath and my last visual to be poor willie sitting on a magnet on my chest....??
That would be for the medical team to do. Your "representative" would agree to it. Some of our members have a magnet but I am not sure their "representative" would be the one to use it.

wavhi
Bob

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » December 18th, 2015, 9:59 am

well thank heavens for that lol..
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!