O/T you just never know.

Links to news stories of interest to heart patients.

Moderator: Moderators

mykidsmom

O/T you just never know.

Post by mykidsmom » December 18th, 2015, 10:12 am

My friends husband was always a health nut in the 34 years weve known him.......he ate in moderation, and always home cooked organic food before we all realized there was organic....he didnt drink except one glass of port at christmas, he exercised in moderation and always limited his consumption of meat...i dont think he was ever in macdonalds in his entire life......he used say....your body is your temple, look after it well and it'll pay you back.........he did his 3 monthly visits to the drs for bloodpressure testing, and all in all was in enviable health.. he wasnt on any medication because he didnt need anything....hed never had any surgery ever except his tonsils out when he was a kid........last monday was his yearly physical at the drs and he passed with flying colors....the wife woke up on tuesday morning and found him dead in the kitchen hed been making green tea...

Im shocked......he was the last person in the world i expected to keel over....i thought id be gone long before him.........but it makes me wonder does looking after your body to this extent actually help anything......they say he had a massive heart attack while sleeping....
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

Colin Pearson

Re: O/T you just never know.

Post by Colin Pearson » December 18th, 2015, 11:09 am

In a way we are the lucky ones as we are having a very close eye kept on us and of course have 'backup'.

That is a very sad story.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 18th, 2015, 11:15 am

I am sorry for your loss. My wife and I also lost a close friend yesterday afternoon, she was elderly and exercised almost daily.

I don't think we will ever understand the "why them or me" questions or answers. Physicals are necessary and hopefully will save many lives, but they also seem to miss ailments that may be life threatening. We can be thankful that, in our cases, they found our heart ailments and have taken action to keep us going. Then there are many of our members who have more than just a heart issue and also are being treated. Then we read about or know about someone like your friend whose time up was earlier this week.

Just try to remember your good times with him.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » December 18th, 2015, 11:19 am

colin we are in complete shock....his wife is very angry it was all so sudden i dont think its totally dawned on anyone its real........i used have these arguements with him about quality of life......cos i like the odd glass of wine, i smoke, i generally ignore the drs and their predictions on my longevity and i used say to him.......awwww a creaking door lasts the longest.....i think when the reality hits in we will all crash....he was going to be 60 in january

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » December 18th, 2015, 11:24 am

Im so sorry to hear of your loss too freckles...and you hit the nail on the head....im asking why him and not me......his wife is so angry with the dr who did the physical on monday.......because shes certain they did miss something.......but her own dr said they probably didnt......it was a sudden malfunction of the heart without any prior symptoms...like your friend, he was very active and exercised religiously too....i dont understand it

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » December 18th, 2015, 11:31 am

Life can be very cruel and unfair sometimes. By the sounds of it, it was an SCA and he wouldn't have known anything about it. Just makes you realise how lucky we are being in the 5% that survive an SCA.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » December 18th, 2015, 2:53 pm

I know.....not fair at all...I survived 6 SCAs....several strokes and complete organ failure not to mention some other glitches to the system in between.......theres no explaination for it....my drs actually told me it was pointless me giving up smokes lol....and a full glass of rum actually saved my life in 1987 during a hefty stroke.. i actually think ive ruined my chances of ever winning a big lotto prize lol...not that im complaining..but its very difficult to wrap your mind around a sudden unexpected death...Id imagine your right colin it probably was an SCA.....seems like he had the heart attack sleeping..woke up came down to make tea..and boom..I wonder how different it would have been if hed had an ICD