How soon can you drive a car after a ICD implant ?

Links to news stories of interest to heart patients.

Moderator: Moderators

Randi

How soon can you drive a car after a ICD implant ?

Post by Randi » March 26th, 2016, 7:49 pm

golf1

Michael L

Re: How soon can you drive a car after a ICD implant ?

Post by Michael L » March 27th, 2016, 7:01 am

It depends on your underlining condition that created the need and where you live.

As an example, I live in Florida and got an ICD due to a low ejection fraction. My ICD was implanted on a Tuesday. When I asked my surgeon when I could drive, he paused, thought for a moment and said, "Give it till Thursday."

Some have discussed a six month band on driving, but usually that involved passing out or other issues....
Biotronik Ilesto 7 implanted May 5, 2014
CABG 3X February 1998

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » March 27th, 2016, 7:42 am

I agree with Michael. If your doctor says it is alright to drive. It could depend on what your heart condition is first of all then what if any laws are in place in the area where you live. Many times you are on medications your body my need to get used to before you should drive. No matter what anybody (doctors/authorities) says if you don't feel comfortable driving then you should wait a while.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

David882

Post by David882 » March 27th, 2016, 7:43 pm

It really depends on if you own a car already or if you need to buy one.
With Respect,
David

11 Sept 2012 / Idiopathic Ventricular Fibrillation
At about 2AM I started storming at home, and in the ambulance, and in the ER.
Sometimes I restated and sometimes I had to be defibrillated.
A number of times I went into arrest and stopped breathing.
External defibrillation count exceeded 18 and at some point the team induced a coma.
24 hours later I was revived and have never had another event.
13 Sept 2012 / Medtronic ICD was implanted.
My diagnosis is still idiopathic.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » March 28th, 2016, 8:14 am

whewsmile lmao4dx david.......supposedly if your ICD fires here...your banned automatically for 6 months....i never had this ban though although my icd went crazy for a whole month..........and i did ask about it ...cos i ferry kids around constantly and was a bit nervous of driving with them and a risk of crashing with them.....dr said my icd fired with cause, and appropriately because of major blockages and with the open heart surgery it was now fixed....so no ban put in place.....so was pretty happy about this..I drove almost immediately after the implant though...as soon as id get home from the hospital in fact lol
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!