Heart problems and connections to a cold virus

Links to news stories of interest to heart patients.

Moderator: Moderators

Poppy

Heart problems and connections to a cold virus

Post by Poppy » October 20th, 2016, 2:19 pm

Hi everyone. This might seem a somewhat daft question, but most of you know more about these things than I do ! However for several years, during the Winter season, which is just starting here in the UK, I have suffered from colds, as many people do. My cold seemed to go on and on and on. It was usually 2 months before I felt better. What I am asking is....Is or was, there a connection between a heart problem and the immune system ? These symptoms have continued for several years, and of course I only knew I had a problem last May.

If this was the case, then I am hopeful that now that my heart seems to be functioning more successfully, if I do get a virus, then it won't last so long. Not that I do want one. I am doing my very best to avoid getting infected.

Would be interested to have the thoughts and comments from some of you out there. You may of course think I am talking or thinking rubbish, and that there is no connection. Still, let me know.

Cheers, Poppy.

freckles1880

Re: Heart problems and connections to a cold virus

Post by freckles1880 » October 20th, 2016, 3:35 pm

I personally don't think there is a direct connection. Seems like I have several friends with heart issues and some get colds others do not. Same as those without heart issues. The only thing I do know is we need to watch what we take for that cold. Many medications for colds do have ingredients that may hurt your heart or mess up your other medications. I am usually pretty lucky as I get very few colds.
Hope you are cold free this year also.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

4EverHopeful

Re: Heart problems and connections to a cold virus

Post by 4EverHopeful » October 21st, 2016, 10:21 pm

I've noticed not so much that I get sick more often, but if I do it seems to take longer getting over it. It really knocks the wind out of my sails! With my heart being weaker I don't have the energy to fight off viruses like I used to. I don't know if others here find that to be true for them, but for me, I worry about going downhill quickly with any major bug... :sick005:
Phyllis

God's prescription for the heart:
O LORD, You have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit
down or stand up. You know my every thought when far away. You chart the path ahead of me
and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment You know where I am.
Psalm 139:1-3

Non-ischemic DCM 09/11
PVCs, LBBB, leaky mitral valve
St Judes CRT-D (Bubba) 02/12; (Bubba II) 09/17
EF 20% 09/11; 25% 07/12; 35% 02/16
Failed PVC Ablation 11/12
Coreg, Zestril, Asprin, Aldactone, Lasix, Zocor, Levothroid
viewtopic.php?p=87649#p87649