It is currently June 24th, 2017, 12:21 am

New blog post about ICDs and MRI 

Post New blog post about ICDs and MRI
I wrote a blog about my recent experience with trying to get an MRI with my older ICD and how I found out that one day soon, I will have a MRI compatible device. I hope you find it informative.

https://hcmbeat.com/2016/10/23/yes-we-s ... -and-mris/

October 23rd, 2016, 10:44 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin/Mod

Post Re: New blog post about ICDs and MRI
This is great news. We have discussed this issue several times and so far there has been no consensus in the MRI/ICD industry. I also have a lead that is compatible but as of July of this year was not yet approved by the FDA and I did not get a MRI safe ICD replacement.

I am glad you placed it "In the News" area.

wavhi

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

October 24th, 2016, 7:26 am
Profile E-mail

Wow, thank you so much. This is awesome to know. :big-hug: :big-hug: :big-hug:

October 24th, 2016, 8:18 am
Profile E-mail

Yes, the thing that led me to write this piece was the confusion I encountered when I was trying to learn about having the MRI at UCLA. I wanted to share all that I had learned as it is such a rapidly changing area.

October 24th, 2016, 9:06 am
Profile E-mail WWW

This issue finally is one I am affected by because of my car crash on 9/24/2016. My back began acting up a week after the crash. The doctor wanted an MRI but my EP overruled that, so I'll be getting a myelogram on 11/3. So, when I'm next due for a replacement of my CRT-D I hope an MRI-safe one (or the leads involved) will be available. Myelograms are NOT fun.
lightninghit
I chose that emoticon because when the needle touches the spinal cord (when I had it done in 2008) it feels like a major electric shock in the legs, worse than anything I endured as an electrician's helper.

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3&p=57099#p57099

October 24th, 2016, 11:19 am
Profile E-mail

Wishing you the best as your undergo your test. But do know that if you must have an MRI, you have options and UCLA is not that far away. If you read the blog entry, there is a link to the UCLA flyer advertising the availability of routine MRIs for those with older devices. And in the future, you may be able to have a scan without extreme measures if you replace your generator and your leads are on the approved list.

October 24th, 2016, 11:40 am
Profile E-mail WWW

My current CRT-D is a Viva XT which is not on Medtronic's website as MRI-capable, nor are my leads from the initial implant in 2009.
:-(
Maybe the next one?

UCLA is a full day's drive away, and I don't yet need to go "that far" to get the answers I need. If the currently schedule procedure proves inconclusive, then we'll look at getting the other driver's insurance to pay for both air fare and the MRI.

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3&p=57099#p57099

October 24th, 2016, 1:22 pm
Profile E-mail