No Pay = No Play American Insurance Issues

Links to news stories of interest to heart patients.

Moderator: Moderators

Michael L

No Pay = No Play American Insurance Issues

Post by Michael L » December 15th, 2016, 7:23 am

Interesting story. I was recently caught up in this situation. When I went for my hip transplant the hospital demanded a payment of $3,200 prior to admission (high deductible plan). I paid it, but what if I didn't have it? Turns out I overpaid them about $1,000. Have received a refund yet? Of course not, it has to go through their systems for a month before they pay me, but I have pay them immediately!

Doctors and hospitals ask patients to pay up before treatments - CNN
https://apple.news/AY8mH98GER8y6z_6Z5P26rg
Biotronik Ilesto 7 implanted May 5, 2014
CABG 3X February 1998

freckles1880

Re: No Pay = No Play American Insurance Issues

Post by freckles1880 » December 15th, 2016, 9:08 am

Very True Michael. When I went to the ER last month they wanted to make sure I could pay the co-pay. (I am on a medicare advantage plan and do have co-pays). They admitted me thus the ER visit was not charged to me. I was in for 5 days and was discharged with no comments about my part of the stay so I asked and they said they would bill me. They did and it was for the right amount.
But, I have had several tests, scans and X-rays. They pretty much know what my share is but they just ask for some up front, sometimes too much and other times not enough. I now have a running bill at the hospital system and it's really heard to know what charge goes with what co-pay.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

MikeI

Post by MikeI » December 15th, 2016, 10:31 am

I had a random person call me the other day saying they were the hospital and asked me to prepay over the phone. I told them absolutely not. I had no way to verify who they were or even if they were part of the hospital. How easy would it be to get a job in a hospital look up who is coming in and call to rip them off.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 15th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Great point. There are so many scams going on out there. I am on a portal with the hospital and my primary doctor thus get my billing through the portal.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

DebW

Post by DebW » December 15th, 2016, 12:22 pm

This happened to me once when I went to the emergency room. Very irritating. Especially where you are already upset to be there in the first place. I hope that something can be done to take care of it. Thanx for the article Michael. :)

Michael L

Post by Michael L » December 15th, 2016, 3:35 pm

Medical costs and billing procedures are totally out of control. My wife recently experienced a pretty bad injury at work. We took her to the emergency room for treatment where they ran some CT scans and other imagining tests. The Radiologist's service from the hospital keeps sending us bills and calling for collections. We have written them twice telling them that this a Workers' Compensation claim that we are not responsible for the bills. They apparently can't read. We have had to contact an attorney to ensure that she can get the treatment that she needs. It really is a shame that a patient gets so much stress induced by trying to obtain treatment.
Biotronik Ilesto 7 implanted May 5, 2014
CABG 3X February 1998