It is currently June 24th, 2017, 12:17 am

Can everyone with an icd expect to get a shock at some time 

Post Can everyone with an icd expect to get a shock at some time
I am wondering if some of you can enlighten me. It is now nearly a year since my event with VT. I have made quite a lot of progress since then. From having quite a lot of fatigue last summer to a gradual increase in strength during the Winter months. I now feel reasonably normal. Some of my meds have been reduced in strength and I have been allowed to stop the statins and have had various tests on the device itself.

The trouble is here in the UK is simply that the NHS don't really discuss your individual case. You tend to be on a conveyer belt. They stick the rubber bits on you, tell you that they are going to speed up your heart, which can be a bit painful, although it doesn't last long.
I have not had a shock and don't want one, but is there anyone out there who can boast on never having been shocked ? Would be interested to know. Thanks.

Poppy.

April 25th, 2017, 11:19 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin/Mod

Post Re: Can everyone with an icd expect to get a shock at some time
Poppy wrote:
I have not had a shock and don't want one, but is there anyone out there who can boast on never having been shocked ? Would be interested to know. Thanks.

Poppy.
From every survey that we have done it appears that most of us have never been shocked. I don't worry about that as when I do get the jolt I hope the unit just saved my life. The folks I worry about are those who get the shocks when they should not have. Not many but it is usually a hard time to follow.

wavhi

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

April 25th, 2017, 11:26 am
Profile E-mail

Hi Poppy,

I've had my unit since 2012 and have not received any shocks. As Bob stated, I believe that there are more of us on this site who have not received a shock then those of us who have.

If you break down the numbers between those who have been shocked as an "appropriate shock" vs a "non-appropriate shock", I believe that you will find that the "non-appropriate shocks" have been shrinking over the years due to more advanced technology or units now being implanted. That leaves the "appropriate shocks" which totally depends on each individual's heart condition, diagnosis, doctor's expertise, compliance to treatment, or sometimes a heart just misbehaving for no reason at all regardless of how well of treatment one receives, it's beyond our control and a mystery at times for sure...

God's prescription for the heart:
The righteous cry, and the Lord hears
And delivers them out of all their troubles.
The Lord is near the brokenhearted
And saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalm 34:17-18

Non-ischemic DCM 09/11
PVCs, LBBB, leaky mitral valve
St Judes CRT-D (Bubba) 02/12
EF 20% 09/11; 25% 07/12; 35% 02/16
Failed PVC Ablation 11/12
Coreg 25, Zestril 5, Asprin, Aldactone 12.5, Lasix 80, Zocor 40, Levothroid 75
viewtopic.php?p=87649#p87649

April 25th, 2017, 10:44 pm
Profile E-mail

Poppy wrote:
I have not had a shock and don't want one, but is there anyone out there who can boast on never having been shocked ?

I think it is worth mentioning that while a shock is not exactly fun, it isn't worth getting anxious about it. It is over very fast and makes me feel a lot better instantly so I quickly move on to being most bothered about having just drained a bit of power from the battery. I was first zapped shortly after getting the implant before it had been properly calibrated and am in some ways glad that I then knew what to expect from the experience.

April 26th, 2017, 6:26 am
Profile E-mail

Thanks very much for your reassuring replies to my query,

Poppy.

April 26th, 2017, 12:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Sometimes two people starting out with the same heart problems can end up with very different experiences with the D part of their device.

I'm in the LBBB group running around with a CRT-D implanted in my chest. Since my SCA and subsequent initial device being installed in Sept 2009, I have had no shocks. During the first year I had a few runs of VT that I was paced out of; adding Sotalol to my daily mix of pharmaceuticals eliminated those.

Others starting with the same problem have had different experiences; they have responded differently to their medications or have experienced other health issues, like needing heart valve replacements.

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3&p=57099#p57099

April 27th, 2017, 11:26 am
Profile E-mail

Poppy ,
I thought I was in that group. At my last device replacement , which was 2 years ago and
after 20 years of no zaps, I was seriously thinking, why?
Lucky I kept it because 2 years later - - and they tell me the zaps were appropriate- all
17 of them! it probably saved me.
Would have gone on a while too if I had t gotten an amiodarone drip.
Harold

June 16th, 2017, 10:14 am
Profile E-mail