Weight loss and heart issues.

Links to news stories of interest to heart patients.

Moderator: Moderators

Poppy

Weight loss and heart issues.

Post by Poppy » July 9th, 2017, 4:30 pm

Since my event in May 2016 I stopped going to the gym, I would add on the advice of the cardiac nurse. I am now 2 stone overweight. Most of it around my middle, and I am only 5ft 2in, and I have a small frame.

Can anyone tell me if they have been successful in losing weight. It is quite a lot, at least to me.

I am feeling better than I did before the attack, but of course I do not think this fat around my waist is a good thing. Thanks, Poppy.

freckles1880

Re: Weight loss and heart issues.

Post by freckles1880 » July 9th, 2017, 5:18 pm

I would talk to your cardiologist. I am sure that there are several things you could be doing to help with the weight issues. Usually the cardiac rehab team will place you on a set of exercises for you. I also saw a dietitian during my rehab. She didn't say what I wanted but did know what I needed (or did not need).

I lost most of the weight that was suggested by the doctors.

Good luck

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

Leedur

Post by Leedur » July 9th, 2017, 8:06 pm

Are you sure the nurse didn't mean stop for a period of time? To just eat healthy and walk regularly should cause weight loss. So many look for fast results and get discouraged then give up. Think long term.

mcmoyer

Post by mcmoyer » November 6th, 2017, 8:41 am

I had the same thing happen. I gained almost 30 lbs. I asked my cardiologist and he told me "you're not obese yet so I can't refer you....go find a nutritionist". So irritating was that my search for a 'non-supplement pushing' nutrition center search wore me out. It wasn't until a friend (who also has heart disease) told me about Whole 30.

Whole 30 is a pretty restrictive food elimination 'cleanse': only allows proteins, veggies and fruit. No dairy, carbs, sugar, beans, rice, ect. I lost about 15 lbs during the 30 days. Then I added a few things back in (more paleo) and have lost another 7 lbs over the last ~30 days. I finally feel like I have control over my weight...

I doubt I would have been able to do this when I lived back east (the bread in tx isn't that great so I can skip it 😀)

Not for everyone for sure, but I feel so much better being closer to the weight I have been at most of my adult life xoxo

Maureen
Maureen

Moved to North Dallas, TX in 2013 (But a Jersey Girl at heart :) )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
St Jude ICD implanted April 2015; removed June 2015 due to infection
July 2015 new St Jude ICD and leads implanted
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diagnosed LBBB March 2015, Congestive Heart Failure
Multiple VTs identified first by 30 day monitor, then in the ER, and during the week in hospital...
Diagnosed with Left Ventricular Non Compaction (Cardiomyopathy)