Prayers for the Bionic Bride

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: freckles1880, Suzanne, ~guin, Eric, Moderators

rachmartin

Prayers for the Bionic Bride

Post by rachmartin » January 26th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Don't know how many of you know of her story, but it is sad to hear she is struggling now.
I find her an inspiration due to the fact that she kept living her life to the fullest despite her diagnosis. Also as a reminder to me to not take my condition so seriously. If she can handle what she's been dealt, I should be able to handle the minial stuff I've been dealt. According to the article she was able to go without the mechanical pump, but then her ICD was not a match for the one side of her heart that was still weak/sick.

Just wanted to share and remind - I need to be reminded - to live life to the fullest because tomorrow is never a gurantee and be thankful for all the medical advances available. Prayers for those of you on the board still awaiting the technology due to red tape.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41256873/ ... ?gt1=43001

Rachel
:freez:
St. Jude ICD since 10/09/2009
Long QT w/documented 12 sec V tach episode that self-resolved.
Dual option ICD paces me if I go below 50 and doesn't shock until 200 (cause I exercise).
Shocked 4 times inappropriately due to exercise after setting inadvertently lowered to 160.

Ozchrissy

Re: Prayers for the Bionic Bride

Post by Ozchrissy » January 26th, 2011, 3:34 pm

Thanks so much for posting this article Rachel, it really does hit home that there are others out there fighting a lot harder than us. What a beautiful young woman, I do hope that she comes out of all this successfully. The worst part of cardiomyopathy is that it doesn't distinguish who it hits.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

rclarke6

Post by rclarke6 » January 26th, 2011, 3:44 pm

Thanks for the post, stories like that just tug at my heart :( , She will be in my prayers.
Richard

Medtronic Maximo II Implanted 10/07/10 VA Medical Center, Portland, OR.
Myocardial Infarction 1/05/2008, EF 18%
Congestive Heart Failure 12/30/2009

"VINCERO"
(Italian, for i will win)

Greg a

Post by Greg a » February 10th, 2011, 2:14 pm

Update from FB 32 minutes ago
From FB today posted 32 minutes ago

The Bionic Bride Ally got out of surgery around 7:00 pm last night. The surgery went well and she had a good night last night. They removed the vent this morning. She looks good and wiggled her feet as a message she wanted her feet rubbed - a really good sign for her family. There is a possiblity she will be moved to ICU tomorrow.
angel

LIVE
LOVE
LAUGH
ITS ALL GOOD

ABOUT ME:
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... &start=570

Greg a

Post by Greg a » February 10th, 2011, 2:17 pm

She got a transplant yesterday
From facebook

the bionic bridehouston we have a heart!!!! Ally recieved a heart transplant this afternoon. Drs. Says she is doing extremely well after the transplant. New heart is beating on its own & everything is progressing well. Her family should get to see her later tonight. Thanks so much for all the prayers
LIVE
LOVE
LAUGH
ITS ALL GOOD

ABOUT ME:

Lazydays

Post by Lazydays » February 10th, 2011, 2:28 pm

Thanks for posting Greg........ really hope that the transplant work for her and that she makes a full recovery. Stories such as this make me feel quite fortunate.
Gary

Life Can Sometimes Be A Shocking Experience

March 1994 - MI
June 2003 - Stent
July 2008 - VT - Stent & ICD fitted
Dec 2008 - Appropriate shock
Sept 2011 - Ventricular Ablation (failed)
May 2012 - Ventricular Ablation
May 2013 - Ventricular Ablation (failed to induce VT )
June 2014 - Ventricular Ablation
25mg Spirolactone
5mg Bisoprolol
10mg Ramipril
40mg Pravastatin
Warfarin
Disopyramide - 400 mg

LAURIESHILL

Post by LAURIESHILL » February 10th, 2011, 2:39 pm

She is such an inspiration! A truly amazing young woman!

Laurie
"In the end, it is not the years in your life that count, but the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln

St. Jude Unify CRT-D/RA & RV leads 12/29/2010
LV Lead 01/19/2011
60/179/200 paced 100%
LBBB/Class III Heart Failure/Idiopathic Cardiomyopathy/EF 30%

My Introduction: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... &start=675

MichaelP

Post by MichaelP » February 10th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Thanks for the update and I have her in my prayers.
St. Jude Medical CD2231-40Q DR Fortify Dual Chamber ICD, 2088TC/52 Right Atrium Lead, 7121Q/65 Right Ventricle Lead, implanted October 21, 2010. Catheter Ablation Performed At The Same Time.
55 Years Old - CHF, Coronary Heart Disease.

Helen

Post by Helen » February 11th, 2011, 1:58 pm

Rachel, that is an incredible story about an incredible woman... It makes me see that I am doing ok today and makes me grateful that I'm alive... She will be in my prayers. Love, Helen
Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together.

Greg a

Post by Greg a » February 11th, 2011, 7:52 pm

FROM FB
Ally was moved to ICU at around 12:30 this afternoon. She is responsive and said she was hungry. However, she can only have ice chips at this time. Channel 11 - KHOU - is doing a short story on her for the 6:00 news. If you miss it, it should be on thier website later.
from channel 11
Posted on February 11, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Updated today at 6:03 PM
Related:
•Follow the Bionic Bride's progress on Facebook

HOUSTON—Ally Smith Babineaux, the woman dubbed by People magazine as the "Bionic Bride," lost that inauspicious title this week. But the 22-year-old is willing to give up the title, because a new heart has taken its place.

The Texas A&M student first made headlines when doctors at the Texas Heart Institute in the Texas Medical Center installed a Left Ventricular Assist Device or LVAD. She suffered from viral cardiomyopathy. The original hope was that the heart pump would allow her heart to heal, and that she would eventually recover. The device, powered by batteries she carried in a backpack, did allow her to get on with her life and even marry her college sweetheart last year.

"The indications for using the pump is a patient facing a terminal situation, and Ally was certainly facing that when we put the pump in two years ago," said famed heart surgeon Dr. O.H. Frazier with the Texas Heart Institute.

Frazier installed the first LVAD in a patient 2003.

"To date there have been more than 11,000 of them implanted worldwide, which is a gratifying thing," Frazier said.

Gratifying most of all to Babineaux and her family, because it served as a nearly two-year bridge to the life-saving heart transplant she received this past Tuesday.

"And she got the biggest smile on her face and looked at us and gave us the good ole Aggie thumbs up and said I’m ready to go," Krista Smith said of her daughter’s reaction as she was wheeled into surgery.

Doctors say the transplant went well and that Babineaux’s prognosis is good. Now her family praises the miracles of modern medicine and the generosity of an unidentified donor family. Babineaux, meanwhile, hopes to help educate people about the dangers of heart disease in both men and women. It kills more people than all cancers combined.

As for losing the title of "Bionic Bride," Babineaux’s mom said that was part of the pre-transplant surgery discussion.

"That was one of her things. She said, ‘I’m not going to be the Bionic Bride anymore.’ And we said, ‘So what, we’ll find a new name for you,’" said Smith. "Her sister says she needs to be the ‘something wife’ now that she was the Bionic Bride."

A "something wife" with a new lease on life, which is the only title she, her family and her doctors ever really wanted
LIVE
LOVE
LAUGH
ITS ALL GOOD

ABOUT ME:

Greg a

Post by Greg a » February 11th, 2011, 7:56 pm

Dec. 3, 1967: Patient Dies, but First Heart Transplant a Success
By Tony Long 12.03.07

Image[imghttp://www.wired.com/images/article/full/2007/ ... d_630x.jpg][/img]
Surgeon Christian Barnard shows an X-ray image of Louis Washkansky's chest taken during the first heart transplant.
Photo: Bettman / Corbis 1967: The first human-to-human heart transplant is performed. The operation is a success, but the patient dies after complications set in.

South African surgeon Christiaan Barnard, who prepared for this day by performing a number of experimental heart transplants involving dogs, led a 30-member surgical team in implanting the heart of a young woman into 53-year-old Louis Washkansky, a Cape Town grocer suffering from diabetes and incurable heart disease.

Washkansky received the heart of Denise Darvall, a 25-year-old bank clerk who was left brain-dead following an automobile accident the day before. She was removed from life support, and her father gave permission for her heart to be given to Washkansky.

The transplant, performed at Cape Town's Groote Schuur Hospital, was a success. Washkansky's body did not reject the heart, due in large part to the immunosuppressive drugs he received. But those drugs also weakened his immune system, and he contracted double pneumonia, which killed him 18 days after the transplant.

Barnard, who became an international celebrity (and reveled in it) as a result of the transplant, soldiered on. Over the next several years he performed additional heart transplants, with the survival times for his patients gradually improving. One patient, Dorothy Fisher, survived for 24 years after receiving a new heart in 1969.

Other surgeons, however, weren't as bullish on transplant surgery, because of the high risk of organ rejection by the recipient. It wasn't until cyclosporine came into widespread use in the early 1980s that an effective means of reducing that risk was found. After that, organ-transplant surgery took off.

Barnard, meanwhile, became more interested in anti-aging research, and his reputation took a hit when he lent his name to Glycel, an anti-aging skin cream that in the end did nothing at all to slow the process. Barnard died in 2001
LIVE
LOVE
LAUGH
ITS ALL GOOD

ABOUT ME:

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » February 11th, 2011, 9:54 pm

wowwow ... :D
WONDERFUL news!!
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Greg a

Post by Greg a » February 12th, 2011, 1:24 pm

From FB
The Bionic Bride Ally continues to improve. Her kidneys are getting better so they are soing SLED dialysis - dialysis at night only. Whooo!!!! She is still sleepy but alert when awake. Docs are happy about how well she is doing.
LIVE
LOVE
LAUGH
ITS ALL GOOD

ABOUT ME:

Melissa

Post by Melissa » February 13th, 2011, 4:25 pm

What an awesome success story!
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day

rachmartin

Post by rachmartin » February 14th, 2011, 9:37 am

wowwow
Thanks for all the great updates. I haven't had a chance to look into what had happened next. So glad she got well enough for the transplant. It is such an uplifting message to read this Monday morning.

I get a second opinion on my lung disease diagnosis this afternoon. See what type of histoplasmosis I have and if the medications are really necessary since they interract with my verapamil (which could cause problems with Long QT etc.)

What a great support group we have. Take care all.

Starting to warm up in Illinois :runn:
Rachel!
St. Jude ICD since 10/09/2009
Long QT w/documented 12 sec V tach episode that self-resolved.
Dual option ICD paces me if I go below 50 and doesn't shock until 200 (cause I exercise).
Shocked 4 times inappropriately due to exercise after setting inadvertently lowered to 160.