ICD Replacement Guidelines

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: freckles1880, Suzanne, ~guin, Eric, Moderators

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

ICD Replacement Guidelines

Post by mrag » February 25th, 2011, 5:25 pm

If things progress as planned, I should be up "upgraded" from my current 5 year run of the mill, single lead ICD to a state of the art CRT-d model (with 3 leads) by about 2 PM next Friday. I supposedly will spend the evening under trained and watchful eyes and dismissed the next day, Saturday. Sometime next week, I am to receive a call from my EP's talented assistant who will advise me on what current meds I should stop or not (like coumadin) and other pertinent things (like skip the double Mac with cheese omelet and fries that Friday morning). What I am asking or looking for are suggestions and or ideas of what to plan, ask or do-before AND after. For example:

Already Done
I did get a "blood test" today like for CBC, BMP, PT-INR, yada, yada with the lab tech "busting" a blood vessel (do they use arteries or veins?)

To Do List
Tues: Complete Last Will again and Power of Attorney
Wed: Put new sheets on bed, do any laundry, rent a few movies
Thurs: do whatever I didn't on Wed, start panic behaviour

Questions to ask EP's assistant:
Is there a pool, cabana or cocktail hour
Does hospital have wi-fi internet connection
Will I be in any condition to use wi-fi even if available
Will there be any driving restrictions, if so, for how long
Should I really go through with this or find another EP
How should I expect to feel on Saturday
How should I expect to feel on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday...
How soon will "we" know how successful a day my EP had in the OR
Can I get a prescription for some heavy duty, pain killing, hallucinogenic drugs
How long should I wait before having a cigarette (guess who that one is for??)

Added followup
How have others felt AFTER (1 day, 2 days, 3 days) they've gotten "upgraded"
Will there be challenges in getting dressed (note I'm into cross-dressing so will that be harder and how to handle)

That should give you an idea of what I'm looking for. Can anyone shed some light? Oh, Robo POP, good point, will I be able to apply deodorant and for some others here like JR1966, sorry, I was just kidding about the cross dressing ;-)

(I mean I was REALLY kidding my sometimes overly zealous politicized buddy JR1966)
nonsense area-does anyone even read this area any more

ROBO Pop

Re: ICD Replacement Guidelines

Post by ROBO Pop » February 25th, 2011, 5:51 pm

That's a pretty comprehensive list but there's 2 questions I can think of you've overlooked...

- How long before I can have sex ?
- How long before I can have sex with a partner ?
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Kat

Post by Kat » February 25th, 2011, 6:02 pm

I love that you are so well planned. Obviously, the part of "start panic behaviour" (besides being spelled wrong) needs a bit of work. Please list details.

As for the cross dressing, be sure to use a front close bra. This just makes things so much easier and much less strain on your shoulder. Same goes for the blouse, use a front close instead of a pull over.

I haven't really been upgraded from one to three leads or to a CRT, but I have had my generator swapped out and a lead extracted and replaced with a less broken one. Recovery was just about the same as my original implant. Driving restrictions depend on you, your heart, and your local laws.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

Kat

Post by Kat » February 25th, 2011, 6:04 pm

ROBO Pop wrote:That's a pretty comprehensive list but there's 2 questions I can think of you've overlooked...

Oh man, between the two of you, I can see I am in for some letters now.
safetocomeout
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » February 25th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Al, on Tuesday you should get a haircut...I think they (the Docs and Nurses) do a better job, maybe even a nicer incision, and treat you better, when they see that you take good care of yourself. You should buy chocolate and your favourite candy too, on Wednesday. And Thursday, you should eat one of your favorite meals for dinner.
I'm not done my list...I need some time to think...
:lol:
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

mrag

Post by mrag » February 25th, 2011, 8:55 pm

I'm not done my list...I need some time to think...
You're on the right track. This is why I posted tonight and not next Thursday!

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » February 25th, 2011, 9:06 pm

whewsmile whewsmile whewsmile whewsmile whewsmile whewsmile whewsmile whewsmile

wowwow FANTASTIC POST, have copied it and will take it in March to my next interrogation when I am pretty sure I will be booked in for my replacement. Will have the techs rolling on the floor.

Thank you for the laugh, and the good advice,
:awesome: :awesome: :awesome:
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

JR1966

Post by JR1966 » February 26th, 2011, 2:10 am

Best of luck for the new icd Al,make sure you keep those nurses on their toes mate.Cross dressing?Just ask Rudy :D

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266100,00.html

Ann Marie

Post by Ann Marie » February 26th, 2011, 10:40 am

Glad to see you're keeping your sense of humor! I can relate to the "panic behavior" Ask your EP if you can take a small dose of Ativan or Valium before leaving home. I do, as the thought of getting in the car and ride across the bridge to Philly just about paralyzes me.

Wishing you all the best. I too have had 2 replacements and a lead extraction and didn't find any difference in recovery time. :hugg:
If you follow all the rules, you miss all the fun[background=][/background]

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » February 26th, 2011, 9:06 pm

Skip the panic behavior Al. You've been through this procedure before, except now you're getting two more leads...you've got a great EP...it's all good :cool:
I would think your hospital will have WiFi, so yes, bring your computer. I think you'll be using it right after dinner on Friday evening :)
Use your nervous pre-procedure energy cleaning...go through your closet...get rid of any clothes you don't like, or don't fit.
Buy, or make sure you have some extra pillows to prop yourself up in bed with. They'll help relieve the pressure on your chest, when you go to bed (after your upgrade).
Buy yourself some flowers on Thursday, so you have something nice to look at when you come home on Saturday.
Oh, go to the grocery store on Thursday....have some prepared meals on hand, for when you get home.

I hope you're having a nice weekend Al wavhi
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

mrag

Post by mrag » February 27th, 2011, 8:45 am

You've been through this procedure before
Thanks Suzanne....yes, that's true, but last time they put the ICD in only 8 days after I had triple by-pass surgery. I honestly recall extremely little, if anything of the procedure and because my chest was wired shut and I had tubes all over, no thoughts on recovery from the ICD. I was only concentrating on recovering from the by pass.

Good idea on the pillows and food. I'm bummed about the sleeping part as I've been making very good use of my left side especially for naps and suspect that will be out of the question for a while.

HenryT

Post by HenryT » February 27th, 2011, 1:12 pm

Had my ICD swapped out for a CRT-D in June of 09. Pretty routine stuff. At one point I asked a nurse when the incision site would start to hurt and her reply which I remember to this day was, "Why should it hurt?" Good question because it never did. Came home the next morning. Fast forward to today and my only glitch has been that this January my EP found that one of my 12 year old leads was malfunctioning and a new one was installed-- a procedure just like getting a device swapped out. Again, in one day home by lunch the next. Now I have four wires under my collar bone that feel something like a bundle of Christmas Tree lights.

After each of these procedures I always treat myself to a new vehicle. Last month's choice was a Ferrari Testarossa.............Matchbox version lmao4dx

Cheers,

Henry
DCM with heart failure (EF 15%) diagnosed in May of 1998. First ICD fitted in July of 1998. On my third device a Boston Scientific CRT-D put in June '09 following AV node ablation. Current EF 35%. Current Meds: warfarin, amiodarone, coreg, lisinopril, Crestor, aldactone, baby aspirin

mrag

Post by mrag » February 27th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Henry...I love you!...Al

I'm gonna get me one of those Ferraris too. Matchbook of course.

MichaelP

Post by MichaelP » February 27th, 2011, 2:28 pm

ROBO Pop wrote:That's a pretty comprehensive list but there's 2 questions I can think of you've overlooked...

I did a double take after reading those and then I jestersmile LMAO! That was classic indeed :)
St. Jude Medical CD2231-40Q DR Fortify Dual Chamber ICD, 2088TC/52 Right Atrium Lead, 7121Q/65 Right Ventricle Lead, implanted October 21, 2010. Catheter Ablation Performed At The Same Time.
55 Years Old - CHF, Coronary Heart Disease.

Ann Marie

Post by Ann Marie » February 27th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Oh get your i-pod ready with music to have an ICD installed.
If you follow all the rules, you miss all the fun[background=][/background]