Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: freckles1880, Suzanne, ~guin, Eric, Moderators

JoeNH

Re: Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

Post by JoeNH » June 7th, 2011, 5:18 pm

mrag wrote:There is always a first for everything!
Al,

You think we can get one of those smiley face icons with a light bulb flashing above it's head ?

Jim and Sparky

Post by Jim and Sparky » June 7th, 2011, 5:31 pm

Now that we have the math figured out, thanks Joe, I'm not sure in my rookie season that I can possibly add much to this discussion except to say this: heat can really do someone in and I have a friend in the hospital right now, supposedly really healthy, but spent a little too much time in the heat last week on a week long bicycle tour. Heat has always affected me, before or after heart related events like I had.

My cardiologist has pretty much cleared me to do whatever I feel like. The key word is "feel". He said to listen carefully to what my body is telling me and not get too carried away. But in essence he said, if it geels good , do it!

Alex, it maybe sounds like your body is telling you to back off a bit. No shame there, and there will always be cooler days to ride.

Jim
MI 1/21/11; SCA's 2/3/11 and 2/4/11
I have a Boston Scientific Teligen ICD and a Boston Scientific Promus stent,
I guess my cardiologist is sort of a BS kind of guy.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » June 7th, 2011, 6:02 pm

AlexK

I do great until the temps get into the low 90's. or above. I live in Green Country, extreme eastern OK and probably have your weather. This June has been a real ordeal for me. I'm OK outside if I do not do any physical work. Walking around, riding on the mower is no problem. When I try to do any work, I'm good for only about 15 minutes. In the 70's or 80's with regular humidity It's a totally different story.

So yes, as another heart guy with an ICD the heat is a big factor.

Terry
Man Prayer
I'm a man.... But I can change.... If I have to.... I guess.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

3 V-fib therapies. It works, I'm still here.

TravelingMan

Post by TravelingMan » June 7th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Since Alex and I are only about 20 or so miles apart I'm pretty familiar with the heat he's dealing with. This past Thursday, I think it went to 98-100 or thereabouts, I drug the bag down at Rebsamen for 9 holes at twilight (3:00 to 5:00). Didn't have any problems but I did wet a cold towel at #15 which helped. Now I really slept well that night. Played at Longwood in Cypress, TX yesterday. That was pretty easy since it was a scramble, we were in carts and started early. But by noon it was getting pretty warm and they had run out of water on the beverage carts. Nothing but beer and gatorade. Being diabetic I really didn't want either of those. Went out and walked a couple of miles with my daughter late that afternoon about 5:00 without any problem. I'm pretty acclimated to the heat from mowing my yard several times a week and walking every day. Since I've been in A-Fib since November and it will be another month before I can get the cardioversion done I'm really interested in how I'll be able to handle the heat without the A-Fib. I'm going at a steady pace for a longer period of time where Alex is going from a rest to flat out for 40 or so seconds. Not sure I could do the flat out in this heat or even if it was cooler. I'll let you guys know how warm New Orleans is since I'll be there tomorrow.

wen

Post by wen » June 8th, 2011, 8:15 am

Well, Alex, I just came back from the Little Rock/Hot Springs area last week and it was super HOT. I think if you are capable of doing the BMX bike racing, then go for it. BUT. . . doing it on really hot days is, well, asking for trouble. Not a good idea at all. I like to keep active and do everything I did before I got heart problems, but reality is, I can't. I try to listen to my body and quit when I can tell I am getting out of breath or light headed or overheated. You need to listen to yours too. Well, actually, you are listening to yours. . . you know your heart feels weird and is pounding. . . trouble is you are ignoring the warning signs of stress. toungueee Please don't do that!! I get too much enjoyment from your posts on this website for you to suddenly keel over cause you were pretending to be a 20 year old without heart disease!

So listen to what everybody is telling you and DON'T RACE ON HOT DAYS!!! Lecture is over. Have a nice day. :D

~Wendy
Left Bundle Branch Block
Non-ischemic Cardiomyopathy
V-Tach
ICD-Boston Scientific Teligen (2-lead) installed 7-7-09

AlexK

Post by AlexK » June 8th, 2011, 8:29 am

Fair enough; I think if the entry fees are low I might go ahead and race, but if it doesn't feel right just kind of sit down through it.
August 1, 2007, died; CPR restored
August 3, 2007 implant Medtronic Pacemaker/Defibrillator
Coreg and Atacand daily
"In the end, everything is just a gag," -- Charlie Chaplin

wen

Post by wen » June 8th, 2011, 8:34 am

If the entry fees are low??? So basically if it's cheap to have a heart attack, then you'll do it? Geez, why are men so stubborn?

Wendy
Left Bundle Branch Block
Non-ischemic Cardiomyopathy
V-Tach
ICD-Boston Scientific Teligen (2-lead) installed 7-7-09

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » June 8th, 2011, 3:06 pm

I should also mention that before the ICD and associated drugs I worked in hot weather with no adverse effects. So I do think the combination of lower EF, Cored, Digoxin, Enalapril etal is a factor in lowering heat tolerance.

Terry
Man Prayer
I'm a man.... But I can change.... If I have to.... I guess.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

3 V-fib therapies. It works, I'm still here.

AlexK

Post by AlexK » June 13th, 2011, 8:37 am

Quick update: Worked in the heat most of the weekend (which wasn't quite as bad as race weekeend), and as long as I remembered to stop and rest once in awhile it went fine.

Might maybe be a question of acclimating to the heat, which took a pretty dramatic turn from Spring to Summer weather 'round here.
Coreg and Atacand daily

Mike Thurston

Post by Mike Thurston » June 13th, 2011, 12:02 pm

Thanks for these threads as I often forget to check in and see that I am not alone in this battle. I have been hitting it hard since Jan. and this Sat. it all caught up to me. I did my big road trip in April (4,260 miles) climbing, mountain biking, sight seeing) and visited 9 states along the way. Have been doing 5 to 7 aerobics classes a week and riding 50 to 75 miles on the road a week on avg. I rode 34 miles of hills at the Crane Cyclefest for Road2Recovery and the following week drove to Chicago and rode 34 miles in "Bike The Drive" and 10 miles on the river trail by my brothers house. This weekend I drove to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky my old stompin' grounds to climb with a friend. It was tough beyond belief for me. The Gorge is basically a sub-tropical forest and I could not climb anything which is very frustrating as I use to climb there a lot. Problem is I forgot why I don't go there in summer. After belaying and hiking in and out of the valley it poured down rain. So I drove out to Tower Rock and we hiked the 1/2 mile easy trail to the cliff edge where the wind was blowing 50 mph (that part was nice). After supper we hiked up to the Natural Bridge Arch. I thought I might expire on the 1 mile hike out or should I say UP. After hiking back out I collapsed in the car as Andrew drove the 225 miles home getting there at 12:15 a.m. I slept there 7 hours drove the hour back to my place and cut some grass. Well before it was over I was sitting in my garage in total exhaustion crying like a baby. Laid around the rest of the day exhausted. Managed to get through my noon hour aerobics today. Now that I have typed this I feel like going to bed. This has happened before where I just end up collapesing and now that I think of it ,it is always when it gets this crazy hot with humidity. I did not even notice 85 degress in Utah in April but S. Indiana and Kentucky are miserable. Sorry to be so windy. So, let's take it a little easier Alex :) Don't know why I am so pig headed, must be because of being born in Berlin to a stubborn German Mother.
" If you smile at me I will understand , because that is something everybody, everywhere does in the same language"

AlexK

Post by AlexK » July 4th, 2011, 6:46 pm

Update again:

Raced this past weekend, raced hard. Took Friday off from it as I'd worked in the heat all day, but then Saturday and Sunday went for it.

Saturday was a little much, I raced two bikes (two classes) and it was just too much to catch my breath. Started getting dizzy about the time racing was over.

Sunday went back, raced a single bike, qualified (check this!) for the main out of the second moto, and got a fourth in the main after holding onto third (against a overall younger group) until the track's final straight. Good race.

And, over 100 degree heat with ozone warnings.

I'm thinking it's just a matter of acclimating to the new dose, which seems to be happening. Which is to say I think I got a few more laps in me.
Coreg and Atacand daily

BKK

Post by BKK » July 4th, 2011, 9:34 pm

Hi Alex,

In your first post in this thread I think that you mentioned that your doctor didn't want you drinking more than 64 oz of water in a day. When you are racing in that kind of heat you must be losing way more than that in a day. Why would they want to limit your water intake like that? It might make sense for someone less active than you, or in much cooler weather, but I suspect that you could easily be losing double what they want you to be taking in. Have you tried weighing yourself during the day while you are racing? If you did that you could pretty easily match the water you are taking in to the water you are losing and have a zero net gain or loss. I would think that dehydration could account for all of the symptoms that you have described.

Brian

Melissa

Post by Melissa » July 5th, 2011, 11:21 am

Like someone a few posts up said, I'm so glad that I'm not in this alone. This has been a great thread to read through today as I sit here feeling sorry for myself because I'm tired from over doing it and probably spending too much time in the heat. I just don't bounce back like I used to! Saturday we got up really early and took the kids to a water park and amusement park and then had dinner with friends and didn't get to bed until after midnight. Sunday we travelled home and played outside with the kids and then did fireworks and again didn't go to bed until after midnight. It was terribly hot on Saturday and Sunday here. Does anyone else have problems with staying up late, even if you sleep in? It just seems to throw me into such fatigue if I do that!
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day

AlexK

Post by AlexK » July 5th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Melissa goes first:
Yes, I sleep more now that I'm in the land of beta-blocker. I also note if I don't have a balanced regular diet I just go to (metaphorical) hell.

At the same time I'm able to live a more-or-less normal life (the lack of normalcy has more to do with me than the robot heart thing). But, no doubt, getting used to the beta-blocker took awhile.

BKK wrote:Hi Alex,

In your first post in this thread I think that you mentioned that your doctor didn't want you drinking more than 64 oz of water in a day. When you are racing in that kind of heat you must be losing way more than that in a day. Why would they want to limit your water intake like that? It might make sense for someone less active than you, or in much cooler weather, but I suspect that you could easily be losing double what they want you to be taking in. Have you tried weighing yourself during the day while you are racing? If you did that you could pretty easily match the water you are taking in to the water you are losing and have a zero net gain or loss. I would think that dehydration could account for all of the symptoms that you have described.

Brian
What I used to do on race days, and days before, was lug around a gallon of water and just steady sip on it. That was freaking them out.

Now I just drink when I think I need to, and don't get carried away but try to keep it close to the need to relieve myself. In fact if it's end of day and I don't yet have that feeling I assume I'm doing it wrong and have another bottle of water or something.

But yeah, you make a good point. I don't see me dragging a scale, but I'm thinking a little more hydration might be the ticket.
Coreg and Atacand daily

BKK

Post by BKK » July 5th, 2011, 5:02 pm

AlexK wrote: What I used to do on race days, and days before, was lug around a gallon of water and just steady sip on it. That was freaking them out.

Now I just drink when I think I need to, and don't get carried away but try to keep it close to the need to relieve myself. In fact if it's end of day and I don't yet have that feeling I assume I'm doing it wrong and have another bottle of water or something.

But yeah, you make a good point. I don't see me dragging a scale, but I'm thinking a little more hydration might be the ticket.
I was told by an ER nurse that happened to be training at an Aikido seminar that I attended not too long after my heart attack that if I wasn't peeing at least once an hour I wasn't drinking enough. I had been having trouble with my blood pressure dropping after just a little activity. As soon as I started following his advice I did much better. That was early days, so I still couldn't do a whole lot, but at least it kept my BP more stable. I can do a whole lot more now and I still use that rule. If you're going a whole day without having to pee, then you're definitely not hydrated enough.

Brian