Youngest Daughter feeling heart palpitations

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Suzanne

Youngest Daughter feeling heart palpitations

Post by Suzanne » October 7th, 2011, 8:44 pm

I'm in the ER right now with my 14 year old daughter.
She called me at work this afternoon and told me she feels her heart pounding. She started crying and told me she didn't want to die. I got worried right away, especially because she doesn't cry easily. I told her to put my heart monitor watch on. She was alone, and I was an hour away. I tried to calm her down and told her to just breath slowly.
Her heart rate was 143, then 124, etc. I became more worried and told her to call 911, but she didn't want to. Instead, she called her friend to come over and be with her. As soon as I got home, I brought her to the hospital. Her symptoms were light headedness, trouble getting a full breath and her heart pounding. She's seen the Doctor, had an ECG, blood work and a chest xray. We're just waiting for the results from the blood work now. She'll come back next week as an out patient for a holter monitor. The Doctor said it might have been SVT. I sure hope that's all it was. She's never had any previous heart issues. I will call my EP on Tuesday and have him look at her chart from today, and see what he has to say.
Thanks for listening.
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Juicydb

Re: Youngest Daughter feeling heart palpitations

Post by Juicydb » October 7th, 2011, 10:08 pm

Wow, what a scare! Glad she is feeling better. I hope it was just a random harmless event. I'll be thinking of you both. Best wishes, Julia

Eric

Post by Eric » October 7th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Oh Suzanne,

I am praying for you daughter right now..I cannot even imagine how scared and worried you were. I am hoping it is nothing serious. Glad she made it to the ER and hopefully everything turns out well.

Prayers are with your family.

Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271

Keesha63

Post by Keesha63 » October 7th, 2011, 10:29 pm

Wow Suzanne how scary! I hope she's okay now and with any luck this is just an isolated event. Try not to worry too much and have a good Thanksgiving with the family!

Let us know what your EP has to say.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » October 7th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Her blood test results were all good and we're home now.
It all makes me wonder...what happened...what exactly was she feeling.
I'm not surprised the ECG and blood work were "normal". I also won't be surprised when she wears the holter monitor for 24 hours that it will also show nothing....I, and many of you, know what that's like. It's not until they capture the actual event that they can see what's actually going on.
i pray it never happens again.

I told the triage nurse that I had a history of sustained VT. She pointed to my scar and asked me if I had an ICD and then gave me a puzzled look when I told her nononono "I used to have one".

It's good to be home now :) I'm looking forward to the rest of the long weekend being calm and uneventful. It's a long weekend here; Thanksgiving weekend for us Canadians.

@ Keesha
Yes, I hope it was just an isolated event. Connie. You have a great Thanksgiving too! :)

@ Julia
That's right.....hopefully just a random harmless event!

@ Eric
Thank you.

It makes me wonder. She did witness my 8 shock storm. But, that was 2 1/2 years ago. She's never complained before of any heart issues. Maybe she reacted the way she did because she's seen all of what I've gone through? Maybe that's why she got so scared? I don't know...we'll have to wait and see.
~ Suzanne ~

Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

vikki

Post by vikki » October 7th, 2011, 11:06 pm

Goodness Suzanne that is frightening. I hope nothing more comes of it.

Its scary enough when we as adults go through these things!
xx Vikki xx

ICD implanted 20th October 2010 - Boston Scientific
Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy diagnosed 2006
throw in some VT & A-Fib and that's me
Meds: Diltiazem 180mg, spriractin and chlorthalidone 25mg, Amiodarone 100mg, Asprin 100mg, Thyroxine 100mg

Loves of my life - my husband, my two beautiful boys and chocolate!

david1

Post by david1 » October 7th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Suzanne,

I am no expert but the symptoms she had are similar to a panic attack. Hope and pray it is nothing serious.

God bless us all always

david1

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » October 7th, 2011, 11:16 pm

David, she's not an "anxious" person. I'm not an expert either, but i really don't think it was a panic attack.
~ Suzanne ~

Jean

Post by Jean » October 7th, 2011, 11:46 pm

That had to be very traumatic for her and you. I hope you have a peaceful and uneventful weekend. Happy Thanksgiving :turkey2:
Jean

Cardiomyothapy,LBBB, CHF, Diabetes
Cognis CRT-D implanted May 11,2010

Char

Post by Char » October 8th, 2011, 12:20 am

Hi Suzanne..
I know exactly what your going through.. When you have a heart condition and then your child shows symptoms, you can't do anything
but be upset and sooo worried.
You and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.
Hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving.
Charlene

JR1966

Post by JR1966 » October 8th, 2011, 12:35 am

That must have been a scary experience Suzanne.I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. consolsmile

Lianachan

Post by Lianachan » October 8th, 2011, 3:44 am

Let's hope it was nothing serious. I was also going to mention panic attacks as mine have exactly the symptoms you describe and often kick off from palpitations (I get an ectopic beat, sometimes more than one, about every 10-15s). Does your daughter know how to deal with hyperventilation? Bit surprised your doc should be suggesting something as nasty as SVT but then I'm not a doctor. :)

Ulric

SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ » October 8th, 2011, 6:47 am

Sounds a lot like Afib to me.
2/11/09 MI, SCD
2/12/09 2 stents in LAD, 1 drug eluting, 1 bare metal
2/17/09 Implanted Medtronic Virtuoso II DR
AFib, Leaky Mitral Valve
My intro at http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 650#p61650

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » October 8th, 2011, 7:18 am

Wow, you guys sure know how to start off a holiday weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if she hasn't been a little sensitized to heart issues in general and when something goes a little off, she might be inclined to respond to a higher degree. Not a true panic attack, but like when any of us here get a twitch (or even gas), we start thinking, here's trouble and then we make things worse by worrying more even more about it. I know all this as I just watched Dr. Phil.

Seems things are settled, people are looking into it, nothing left to do but kick back and enjoy the weekend. Best wishes to you both...Al
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » October 8th, 2011, 8:23 am

wowwow Even if it turns out to be "just one of those things" and never happens again. You having the experience you have had and giving great advise to her could have saved her life. I'm sure she did not call 911 as she is like so many of us WERE "It is nothing". Then wham we have a problem. No matter the cost or the trip to the ER it is better to get checked out. She has too many years left to know and get taken care of.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.