I have my date.....

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Jami

I have my date.....

Post by Jami » December 2nd, 2011, 1:21 pm

Hi everyone! wavhi
Well it’s official, I will be getting my ICD on December 12th at UCLA by Dr. Kevin Shannon. I just wanted to thank all of you for your advice this far. I know I will be asking many more questions in the weeks and months to come. I am so glad that I have found this amazing group it truly is a blessing. If you have any other tips or suggestions please let me know….I have been searching the boards for a long time and I feel very educated on the procedure and after. Except how do you do your hair with one arm?!
Thanks again!

freckles1880

Re: I have my date.....

Post by freckles1880 » December 2nd, 2011, 4:23 pm

Great news. Looks like you will be able to get a lot of sympathy at Christmastime as the best for you is rest and food. Oh yes Keep your left arm below your shoulder. :armdown:

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Kat

Post by Kat » December 2nd, 2011, 4:47 pm

After I got mine I couldn't believe how great I felt. I guess part of me was amazed they could put wires into my heart and I didn't feel bad afterwards. I literally remember waking up in recovery and seeing my doctor, boyfriend and son all standing around my bed. I said, "hey I am awake!", which meant, oh my God, I am still alive!. All three of them looked at me like I was crazy. I figured they just didn't understand how afraid I was before hand. Turns out, I had been awake and talking to them for 20 minutes, I just didn't know it.

Anyway, after that it was hard for me to remember to slow down and heal. But this is the time to do it. You have to let others help you. Don't worry about the floors, laundry or anything else, just kick back, take slow, easy walks and relax. if you don't have someone there to do your hair for you, use a headband to pull it back and your done.

For the hospital, take a button up shirt. You will have to get dressed afterward and trying to pull something over your head is hard. I recommend sweat pants too as you can pull those up with one hand. Also, a front close bra is helpful. If you are heavy chested, put on a bra right away even if it is a back close one (make the nurse help you)... this helps reduce the pull on the stitches and you scar will hear better. (guys don't think of these things) Also, my nurse always has me sleep propped up for at least the first few days. This helps your body drain away any fluid from the implant site and help it heal and reduces hematomas and infections. It is important to keep you left arm down, but remember to gently swing it back in forth (not too high) and move it in small circles often. Nothing hurts more than a frozen shoulder.

Well, that is all I can think of. Best of luck to you. Sorry you have to get one but glad you live in a time when this is available. Be sure to check in with us afterwards and tell us how you are doing.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

Jim and Sparky

Post by Jim and Sparky » December 2nd, 2011, 6:53 pm

Jami,

You're right about this being a great site. At least it has been for me. I have ranted, raved and asked a lot of silly questions because I didn't have a clue what an ICD was before I had one in my chest. It was about 2 months later when I found this forum and the people here have been very kind.
I think you will do great with your procedure. It will seem a little weird for awhile, but in time the soreness and strangeness will go away and you will hardly notice it is there. These procedures have become commonplace and the doctors who perform them are extremely talented.

Listen to Kat. She is very wise, and she is right in telling you to take it easy for a bit. I apologize for not being able to give advice on things that are bra related. That is not in my direct realm of experience. I do know that people here will be thinking about you and wishing you the best. And be sure to let us know how you are doing.

Jim
MI 1/21/11; SCA's 2/3/11 and 2/4/11
I have a Boston Scientific Teligen ICD and a Boston Scientific Promus stent,
I guess my cardiologist is sort of a BS kind of guy.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917

Jami

Post by Jami » December 3rd, 2011, 3:10 am

Thanks for the messages! I am going to have a hard time letting people do stuff for me, I have always been very active and I don’t like not being able to do things! The Wednesday after my surgery I actually have an interview for an RN position at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles in their Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit! So much for taking it easy lol!! I will keep you all posted and thank you again for all the advise, I will try to fallow it the best I can!

Ann Marie

Post by Ann Marie » December 3rd, 2011, 6:45 pm

Jami, wishing you all the best for your procedure. Check with the doctor about when you can work again and explain what type of work you do. I was out for 3 months. Not trying to alarm you everybody is different. I worked in Geriatric psych at the time and we were always lifting people and getting hit so that was why I had to wait so long to return. You don't want the wires pulled out of place.
If you follow all the rules, you miss all the fun[background=][/background]

Kat

Post by Kat » December 4th, 2011, 12:20 am

Jami wrote:Thanks for the messages! I am going to have a hard time letting people do stuff for me, I have always been very active and I don’t like not being able to do things! The Wednesday after my surgery I actually have an interview for an RN position at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles in their Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit! So much for taking it easy lol!! I will keep you all posted and thank you again for all the advise, I will try to fallow it the best I can!
I had an interview after my operation in 2006. I walked in with a purse on my left side that was just the right length to hold my arm as if it was in a sling. The purse was empty so it didn't put any weight on my shoulder. during the interview I keep my arm in my lap. Got the job too. Don't stop living, but remember, you are recovering and you have to go easy.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

dadmanbob

Post by dadmanbob » December 5th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Jami wrote:Hi everyone! wavhi
Well it’s official, I will be getting my ICD on December 12th Except how do you do your hair with one arm?!
Thanks again!
Well for me it is easy sine I am male I just get my hair cut to what they call a 3.5 all over. So for me that is take the clippers and just cut it down to about 1/4 inch and then nothing I need to do so it become a zero arm job. :mutt:
BOB
ischemic cardiomyopathy NSVT, stent 1 left side 4/5 &1 right side on 6/9 2011
MI Heart attack unknown when it happened 20% dead muscle
CHF-3, PVD, CAD, CKD-3 & EF 35 now 55 12-19-11
ICD ST JUDE 6/29/11, CD2215-36Q, RVA LEAD, RA-LEAD
Med's
AMLODIPINE 7.5MG AM 5MG PM,ISOSORBIDE MONO. ER 120MG, PLAVIX 75MG
ASPIRIN 81MG,HYDRALAZINE 50MG X4,CARVEDILOL 50MG AM/PM, LIPITOR 80MG
Spironolactone 25mg am/pm,FUROSEMIDE 40MG, Calcitriol .25mg mon,wed,fri
ZANTAC 150MG

I welcome my ICD he is Electron a transformer

Mark

Post by Mark » December 5th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Jami,

The main thing is to not even give it a thought (a task that is impossible). You will almost not even know what is going on, then you are awake and it is over. My first time I was just the same as wondering what is going to happen, that is why I safely say, it is nothing really. Okay, with that done....

I found that wearing a restraining belt for the first 3-6 days to get used to keep my arm down, because that is the most important next to making sure the incision stays nice and clean. I took a few 1/2 gallon freezer bags and used medical tape to put around the incision so I could shower. (yeah yeah I know, not the best thing to do, but then i have never been a compliant patient!) Make sure you have a non slip pad in your tub so you have a good footing (remember: you can't :armdown: raise your left arm for a bit.)

I also found that "taking it real easy for the first few days" is the best advice anyone can give you. Take the time to rest and relax.... you earned it...and when you are up to it, let us know how everything went. You'll be fine....

Jami

Post by Jami » December 13th, 2011, 7:47 pm

I didn’t end up having the surgery on Monday because the insurance didn’t go through in time…..Grrrr! The best part is they didn’t tell me until 5pm on Friday when everything had already closed and I couldn’t do anything about it!! :pullhair: I have been talking to the insurance company all day and I hope to have the surgery on Friday.
As my friend would say, "everything happens for a reason!" dancehearts

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 14th, 2011, 9:11 am

Sorry about that. Many insurance companies just don't seem to understand sometimes. I do hope it will work out for the best. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 15th, 2011, 2:21 am

Bloody hell, does the Insurance Company have to pre-approve something like this. I can't believe it. Our system over here is totally different, the Government supplies the devices, and that is it. If your cardiologist thinks you need one, and you fit the basic criteria, then you get one. No questions at all.

Hope you get everything sorted out, and you do get the device inserted Friday.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

gerry

Post by gerry » December 15th, 2011, 3:42 am

yes chrissy your right same for here in canada,once you fit the criteria for the ICD ,then your covered by the gov't,nothing out of pocket,just your time to recover and enjoy life. too bad when red tape has to get involved.
type 2 diabetes
ICD implant june 28/2011
1 Device Medtronic Protecta XT DR D35
1 Atrial Medtronic 4076 CapSureFix
1 RV Medtronic 6935-65 Sprint Quatt
40mg Atorvastatin-120 mg Diamicron-80mg Asa
-10 mg ramipril-100 mg Carvedilol-.
Class II CHF level.from level III.

Laura G.

Post by Laura G. » December 15th, 2011, 3:55 am

Congratulations! I'm wondering how you feel-other than sore?

Jami wrote:Hi everyone! wavhi
Well it’s official, I will be getting my ICD on December 12th at UCLA by Dr. Kevin Shannon. I just wanted to thank all of you for your advice this far. I know I will be asking many more questions in the weeks and months to come. I am so glad that I have found this amazing group it truly is a blessing. If you have any other tips or suggestions please let me know….I have been searching the boards for a long time and I feel very educated on the procedure and after. Except how do you do your hair with one arm?!
Thanks again!