Pinchy pains around ICD and into shoulder and arm

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: freckles1880, Suzanne, ~guin, Eric, Moderators

farina

Pinchy pains around ICD and into shoulder and arm

Post by farina » December 10th, 2011, 6:08 am

My ICD was implanted 2 1/2 years ago for cardiac sarcoidosis. I've not had any shocks (thanks to all who describe them and then add the gratitude that you're still alive); recently I've had a lot of pinchy sensations around the ICD--not confined to one single spot. These started occurring very occasionally about a year ago, but in the last week, they've been pretty persistent with the same pain also occurring in the top of my left arm, and sometimes down to my elbow. When I mentioned these (chest only at that time and very occasional) to the doc on past visits, I was told it wasn't my heart as my echocardiograms show good function. This recent bout is accompanied by lots of fatigue and muscle soreness throughout my body. Anyone experience this? I suspect I'll land up at the doctor's, though--which one? The electrophysiologist is 12 hrs. away and I do not have a cardiologist here. I'm wondering if the leads are shifting or if it's disease at work....or maybe neither? Nerve issues? I'm thinking I sound pretty stupid here--suspect I need medical guidance but many of you know as much as medical professionals & I realize there are just some things a person with an ICD has to live with--so here I am. Any thoughts? Thank you! Sharon

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Re: Pinchy pains around ICD and into shoulder and arm

Post by mrag » December 10th, 2011, 6:22 am

You might have to work on that word "pinchy" which I am not familiar with. Tingly or 'pins and needles, yes, but not pinchy. I think if there was trouble with the leads, the trouble would have shown up in an ICD interrogation. I assume you have these every 3 months (and for diagnostic purposes, your ICD is implanted 'in the normal place). Can you further describe the pain-it radiates from a point, it throbs, it is a dull ache, it hurts when I move my arm in a specific way, etc. When you have this 'pain' can you relieve it any way like lay down on your side, put your arm over your head? Doesn't sound 'ICD related,' but hopefully some others can add real insight.
Despite repeated requests, my avatar was not painted by ROBO

farina

Post by farina » December 10th, 2011, 6:42 am

It's a sharp little squeeze sometimes accompanied by a dull ache-- no sharp, deep pain; no heavy pressure. It occurs next to the ICD on my right side; and just above it. The sensation in the arm is similar in that it isn't a "take-your-breath-away knife like pain" --it's similar to what I experience in the chest and it hurts enough to make activity uncomfortable. No throbbing. There's nothing I can really do to relieve any of it; sometimes it last for long periods, other times it comes and goes--pretty regular visitor lately. Thanks for the insight about the interrogations--I do have my mine interrogated every 3 months; I should have made the obvious connection about the leads & the interrogations! Before I posted I searched the forums and found 2 postings about similar issues, and both referred to scar tissue formation. Another possibility? Is there any imaging the clearly shows that? Thanks so much for your help, mrag. (Nice to be someplace where heart talk doesn't scare people.) Sharon

jo-rabbit

Post by jo-rabbit » December 10th, 2011, 6:58 am

Hi farina,

I have the same aches and pains and pinches around the ICD site and into my left arm too. Have had them for about 2 months now and had my ICD inserted in may 2010. I am/was getting worried that they are signs of infection after reading about all the infections here. My interrogations showed no signs of anything wrong.

Mine is bad after using my left arm a lot and after driving a long way and having to change gear often. I think it is the leads rubbing on my collarbone and maybe rubbing against and irritating the sides of the vein they are in. My ICD is very near my collarbone and it hurts going over speed bumps, holes in the road and rubs against it. A few weeks ago I seemed to feel and heard a click as something went from one side of the collarbone to the other. The doctor said it was ok and that the is some movement in the leads and they are not fixed down.

Joanne
HOCM
Alcohol ablation 1998
ICD Boston Scientific Teligen 100 implanted 20th May 2010
bisoprolol 7.5 mg

farina

Post by farina » December 10th, 2011, 7:06 am

Thanks for sharing your similar story, Joanne. Big sigh when I read about the doctor who said It's OK to the click and the pain. Did he give you any feedback on what could be causing it? I've thought about infection, too....too easy to imagine a lot of different scenarios. I'm reluctant to go see the doctor about this as I don't know where they'd even begin to evaluate or what kind of tests they would do. I guess that's the part where I'm supposed to put my trust in them. Sharon

jo-rabbit

Post by jo-rabbit » December 10th, 2011, 8:48 am

Hi Sharon,

no he didn't but it wasn't that bad at the time so I didn't say that much about it, just about the click and that I felt something move and that it aches sometimes.

I think it is probaly the leads rubbing and irritating the inside of the vein (well I hope so, much better scenario than an infection!).

Will ask him next time but that is not till May
Joanne
HOCM
Alcohol ablation 1998
ICD Boston Scientific Teligen 100 implanted 20th May 2010
bisoprolol 7.5 mg

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 10th, 2011, 9:09 am

I have also been going through some little pains around the chest area. With my background of the heart attack and "dead" area in my heart, they did a MUGA stress test and found some oxygenated blood problems getting to the right areas. So they were prepared to put in a stent. When they got into the heart they said the bypasses were very good still and the problems were not repairable with a stent. There are some issues not repairable. My EP told me last week that the pains were NOT heart related and questioned my medications so we made some changes there. Exercise and muscle building as well as certain meds can cause some of those aches and pains. I can live with that I guess. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

farina

Post by farina » December 10th, 2011, 11:09 am

Thanks, Bob. I think we can live with a lot of things if we know that they're not pushing us along into sickness or irreparable damage. I hope the med changes work for you. Your feedback makes me a little more comfortable dealing with those weird pains. Since I've been on prednisone for over 2 years and am now on a very low dose (5 mg), I've started to think this might also have something to do with adrenals. Sharon

dadmanbob

Post by dadmanbob » December 10th, 2011, 12:45 pm

I will let you all know if it is an infection. I have been having the same problem of pain from the time mine was put in. My shoulder and left arm and left side of my neck hurt not always really bad. I always feel a discomfort in my area above the ICD and into the my shoulder.

I am having a WBC scan for infection starting Monday so I will let everyone know if it is because of that.
BOB
ischemic cardiomyopathy NSVT, stent 1 left side 4/5 &1 right side on 6/9 2011
MI Heart attack unknown when it happened 20% dead muscle
CHF-3, PVD, CAD, CKD-3 & EF 35 now 55 12-19-11
ICD ST JUDE 6/29/11, CD2215-36Q, RVA LEAD, RA-LEAD
Med's
AMLODIPINE 7.5MG AM 5MG PM,ISOSORBIDE MONO. ER 120MG, PLAVIX 75MG
ASPIRIN 81MG,HYDRALAZINE 50MG X4,CARVEDILOL 50MG AM/PM, LIPITOR 80MG
Spironolactone 25mg am/pm,FUROSEMIDE 40MG, Calcitriol .25mg mon,wed,fri
ZANTAC 150MG

I welcome my ICD he is Electron a transformer

farina

Post by farina » December 10th, 2011, 1:21 pm

Good luck and I'll look forward to your report. So many things it could be. Glad you've begun testing. Sharon

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » December 10th, 2011, 3:08 pm

I certainly do not want to side track the relevancy of some observations, but and I've used this before, I think it is time once again for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lNrqyu7 ... ata_player
or
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lNrqyu7 ... ata_player[/youtube]
Can you tell I have never figured out how to embed a YouTube page?
Despite repeated requests, my avatar was not painted by ROBO

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 10th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Ok Mrag, You got me that time. Great video.
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

farina

Post by farina » December 10th, 2011, 7:12 pm

LOL, mrag! Loved the video and will watch myself crossing the street. Also, I suppose I'll find my own diagnosis and not rely on others to do it for me! I never really did...just wondered if I was the weird duck who experienced things others did not. Nice to share experiences and enjoy an instructive moment of levity. Sharo