Help, courage needed and Lead problems

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Donnahi

Help, courage needed and Lead problems

Post by Donnahi » December 12th, 2011, 1:40 am

Hi
I had an icd replacement , change of side (left to right shoulder, which means two incitions)
then the " doctor" punctured mu lung and i had a chest tube for5 days to drain the blood, received two transfusions and was asleep for 2 days, because maybe they ask the janitor to insert the chest tube first, and then , they realized that it has to be a doctor who inserts the tubes.
While recovering of the punctured lung they practiced a ct scan and made my atrial lead to lose contact with the icd unit cause they forced me to put my arms over my head so violently, and the did the same thing 3 times.
When I woke up I started to feel shocks in my ribs and thenthey came up to my icd site, but they said it was because i was nervous.
Then at home, i decided to go to another hospital where they see that the lead is out of place and that the icd has been sendind current to my shoulder where the icd is placed. They turned the atrial lead off, so i can be as if i had a single lead device as in the past, but they want to put the lead in the correct place and i just can think about it cause i feel so weak, depressed and sad.
I do not know if it is dangerous .
I wonder if you can tell me about lead repositioning after just 2or3 months after your implant. My device lost conection with the artrial lead and i feel like crap. I do not feel even able to bear another surgery. And i wnder how is this made. The lead is not fractured and apparently well placed in the heart but i just feel too bad, me resting heart rate is above130 and i have been experiencing very light fever of 100.
Can you tell me if the are going to make an incition the same long as when they implant the icd. Is is 3 months too much and the scar tissue will be a serious problem. Please all the information you can give me will be a gift. Any word of courage will be appreciated too.
Donnahi

dadmanbob

Re: Help, courage needed and Lead problems

Post by dadmanbob » December 12th, 2011, 4:46 am

I would think for just the lead they would not have to make the big incision but not sure. I would assume they could fix it going up the groin vein.
Hang in there things will get better soon.
BOB
ischemic cardiomyopathy NSVT, stent 1 left side 4/5 &1 right side on 6/9 2011
MI Heart attack unknown when it happened 20% dead muscle
CHF-3, PVD, CAD, CKD-3 & EF 35 now 55 12-19-11
ICD ST JUDE 6/29/11, CD2215-36Q, RVA LEAD, RA-LEAD
Med's
AMLODIPINE 7.5MG AM 5MG PM,ISOSORBIDE MONO. ER 120MG, PLAVIX 75MG
ASPIRIN 81MG,HYDRALAZINE 50MG X4,CARVEDILOL 50MG AM/PM, LIPITOR 80MG
Spironolactone 25mg am/pm,FUROSEMIDE 40MG, Calcitriol .25mg mon,wed,fri
ZANTAC 150MG

I welcome my ICD he is Electron a transformer

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 12th, 2011, 8:55 am

Usually the doctors can correct your issue without too many problems. I don't know what experience your medical team has but I would suggest talking to them first and if there is another team in your area getting their advise and even them to do the work. We need true experts to deal with an ICD and heart problems. As far as how they will correct your issues only they can answer that. Good luck and I pray they can fix you up. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » December 12th, 2011, 10:40 am

If what you say is all true, I might ask your lawyer his/her opinion. I would think it should be "relatively easy" for a SKILLED/KNOWLEDGEABLE EP fix you up with minimum discomfort at this point in time. In fact, the earlier the better should apply.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Donnahi

Post by Donnahi » December 12th, 2011, 4:25 pm

[quote="mrag"]If what you say is all true, I might ask your lawyer his/her opinion.

Thank you for the advise. One lawyer told me there was nothing to be done cause i signed the consent. But now that you say i know that my x rays show that the lead is out of place before i was releases. So there is a responsability issue there. Here in mexico is somdifficult to know what to do. But thank you for yor advise.
Donna

Kat

Post by Kat » December 12th, 2011, 5:05 pm

Good God sweetie, that is more than any one should go through. This first hospital sounds like a joke and quite frankly that is why we have lawyers here in the US. I can't believe the jokers there punctured your lung then put you in CT scans without thinking about your device.

The newer the lead the easier they are to remove if they need to. But it sounds like to me they just need to go in and attach it back to the generator. That should be an easier surgery and your biggest risk is of infection. But you have to make the call. If you are feeling weak and run down, put it off a little. But if you are using any of the pacing features, you may need to get in sooner.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » December 13th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Hi Donnahi,

I'm SO sorry for all you're going through!!

I would think that they would have to take out your ICD to reconnect it. It should be a fairly easy fix, because they only have to reconnect it to your ICD, since the lead is in a good position in your heart.

My lead dislodged, from my heart, 4 months after implant. The EP did run into problems when removing the lead and had a Cardiovascular surgeon assist him. They sent me for a CT Scan to check for "damage" after the lead was replaced.

Putting you arms over your head should not have caused the lead to disconnect from the ICD, although they should not have made you do that.

They should cut along your same incision. I've been cut open along the same incision 5 times now and it's fine.

Why was your ICD relocated to the right side?

Donnahi, I hope and pray that you get your problems fixed....I pray you get a good EP that helps you.
I wish you all the best!!!!!!

:hugg:
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Donnahi

Post by Donnahi » December 13th, 2011, 10:07 pm

ThanK you for your answers . I really have cried a lot for all the things that have happened, but I hope everything is going to be fine soon. Thank you all
Donnahi
Last edited by Donnahi on December 13th, 2011, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donnahi

Post by Donnahi » December 13th, 2011, 10:14 pm

Suzanne wrote:Hi

Why was your ICD relocated to the right side?

Donnahi, I hope and pray that you get your problems fixed....I pray you get a good EP that helps you.
I wish you all the best!!!!!!

:hugg:
Hello Suzanne.
Thank you for the sweetnes of your words, that is exactly what i need now.
I do not know why my icd was relocated. I had no trouble at all in the other side, just do not know.
Have you really been cut the same place five times? I can not believe it, it sounds awfull , lets see if they do the same thing to me,
I really want them to xheck all the work the otrer ep did, cause it is still painful to do anything with mynarm. so i will ask them for a complete revision, but i really do not want my skin to be opened again this soon.
Thanks formthe sympathy,

Donnahi

Post by Donnahi » December 13th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Kat wrote:Good God sweetie, that is more than any one should go through. This first hospital sounds like a joke and quite frankly that is why we have lawyers here in the US. I can't believe the jokers there punctured your lung then put you in CT scans without thinking about your device.

The newer the lead the easier they are to remove if they need to. But it sounds like to me they just need to go in and attach it back to the generator. That should be an easier surgery and your biggest risk is of infection. But you have to make the call. If you are feeling weak and run down, put it off a little. But if you are using any of the pacing features, you may need to get in sooner.
Hi kat
Thank you for your kindness,
I am really depresed now but it is a combination of pain and frustration, i hope this will be an easier surgery, but i am so scared of it. Specially because winter vacations are here and all doctors go and then there is no one to go with when you have a problem. But i hope we can fix all the mess caused by that bad person.
Love to you
Donnahi

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » December 14th, 2011, 2:53 pm

Donnahi wrote:Have you really been cut the same place five times? I can not believe it, it sounds awfull , lets see if they do the same thing to me,
Yes, Donnahi.
Four of those incisions were made during an 11 month time frame...ICD in, out, in, out...etc.
The "reasons" are more awfull than the ugly scar. The "physical" scar doesn't bother me at all.

I wish you strenth and courage Donnahi!! Don't let the Doctors do anything to you that you are not comfortable with, and ask them to explain all they plan to do, so you are comfortable.
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

Helen

Post by Helen » December 14th, 2011, 3:44 pm

Dear Donna, I am so very, very sorry that you are going through all this pain, anxiety and frustration.. You never seem to have it easy with your surgery. Can you request a new electrophysiologist to go over the whole procedures you have had and have suffered through? I don't know just how they do these things in Mexico and what options you may have. I wish our good friend Allen was still around. He always had good ideas.

Sweetie, all I can do is say you have always touched my heart and you will be in my prayers until your problems are all taken care of (which I hope will be really soon). Love, Helen
Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together.