I know i should know i but i do not.

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Donnahi

I know i should know i but i do not.

Post by Donnahi » December 13th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Hi everyone.
I know that this is my second icd and should be very aware of it. But i am going to ask the arm question. Its a month and a half since the implant and my icd site is in such a pain, i am a very very skinny person, i am skinny like those shocking photos of anorexic women. My bones show all over my body and i do not know if it is because of this that my icd site is hurting me that much. I can not move my arm.
For example taking a grass to drink with the arm on the side of my implant is so painful. Not to mention that i do not use it to take a shower or to domalmost anything but writting or knitting.
Can you please tell me what height should the elevation of my arm shold be by this time?
I also have tomsay that the icd lose contact with a lead wich will be repaired and it was sending current to my icd site or shoulder that caused tiny spasms and at the beggining i thought that when they turn it my pain would go but it has been 3days of that and i am still inpain.
Can you tell me what medication do you take to calm the pain?
Thank you very much
Donnahi

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Re: I know i should know i but i do not.

Post by mrag » December 14th, 2011, 1:47 am

Sounds to me you should have a doctor telling you what is happening. Six weeks (month and a half) and your arm should be quite fine. In fact, you should be using it more and more so it doesn't "freeze" up. You want to keep it mobile, in movement. But the pain you mention is not right. Some 'discomfort' after the operation is normal, but pain at this time is not in my opinion.

I can tell you however, I am absolutely sure that I have no real idea on how an ICD feels in a real skinny person.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 14th, 2011, 9:16 am

You do need to talk to your doctors. They should have told you what you can do to strengthen the arm. Ask them about cardio rehab. Not using the arm (after the suggested wait time) can be as damaging as overusing it. I understand we can always use it after the surgery just not raising it over the head nor lifting more than 10 pounds for a while. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 15th, 2011, 2:17 am

Donna, I would get back to your doc too. It doesn't sound right to me. When I had my device inserted I wasn't even told not to lift my arm, and we moved house about 3 weeks after the op, and I did pack and move a lot. I really cannot remember it being an issue at all. I was carrying a bit of weight when it was inserted, but have since lost the lot and I am like you, my device feels like it is sitting on my ribs with a very fine layer of skin over the top. Mine occasionally makes me aware of it, but it definitively doesn't hurt like you described. But mind you, mine has been in nearly 7 years.

I will let you know in Jan when I hopefully get this one out and the new one in whether the amount of weight in the area makes it easier. I do not think that it will be very pleasant personally, not much there to cover the device with, so will see what happens also.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.