Blood Test Results

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: freckles1880, Suzanne, ~guin, Eric, Moderators

david1

Blood Test Results

Post by david1 » December 14th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Today I had an appointment with my GP and she had earlier ordered a blood and urine analysis. All the blood tests came back normal, Cholesterol, A1C, kidney and thyroid results are all within range. But in urine analysis they found that I have occult blood+1, she is doing the urine test once again to confirm. What is Occult blood+1, is it serious, what do I need to do. Please help,, had never heard of occult blood+1

God bless us all always

david1

TruckerRon

Re: Blood Test Results

Post by TruckerRon » December 14th, 2011, 10:58 pm

Just going online, FWIW, I quickly found:

Occult blood is blood that cannot be seen without a microscope. Normal urine does not contain any red blood cells, except females’ urine during menstruation.

So, if there is blood in your urine and you're not a menstruating woman, then your physician needs to find out where it's coming from. The fact that there's too little of it to see without a microscope means you're not bleeding to death--and the cause may be readily treatable. So, don't panic yet!
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

david1

Post by david1 » December 14th, 2011, 11:58 pm

Thanks Trucker,

Im on warfarin and wondering if that might be causing it, my INR is always between 2-3.

God bless us all always.

david1

JoeNH

Post by JoeNH » December 15th, 2011, 12:04 am

David,

Ron makes some good points. "Blood in the urine" isn't particularly diagnostic by itself, except to say, it doesn't belong there. The real question is, "Where is it coming from inside the body ?" Heck, could be at least 37 or 50 or 75 explanations that are completely innocent and don't represent any sort of more significant problem. Heck, we're heart patients. The explanation could be as simple as too much aspirin, coumadin (warfarin) or Plavix. There are a zillion potential explanations.

david1

Post by david1 » December 15th, 2011, 12:14 am

Joe, gp did mention that coumadin could cause it, just to be on the safe side she is doing urine culture.

God bless us all always,

David1