CLASS I RECALL — St. Jude Medical Riata and Riata ST Lead

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

JR1966

Re: CLASS I RECALL — St. Jude Medical Riata and Riata ST Lead

Post by JR1966 » December 18th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Just spoke to my EP and as we thought there is no need to worry.He stated that there is no reason to suspect that my lead is causing problems or that it is one of the faulty leads.

What does concern me a little is that there is no guarantee that he will put in a new lead with my new ICD next year.My EP said that as St Jude gather more info their advisory recommendations may change and that we will wait and see when I need a new ICD.I guess this makes sense although the thought of having a potentially problem lead in me long term concerns me.

Diane,from what the EP told me if you have one of these leads and are feeling electric current around the site then you should call your EP just to let him/her know.It may be nothing but you need to be sure.

Eric

Post by Eric » December 18th, 2011, 8:04 pm

John,

Well that sounds a little bit like Good News, Bad news kind of information. Hope everything works out for you and by the time it comes to change your ICD, the docs are well aware of what issues having the lead may present. Wishing you well.

Eric
Eric [bot]

Idiopathic CHF/ EF currently @ 53%, Low point 26%
St Jude ICD implanted 6/2008 Device changed 6/2009
1 Shock (innappropriate), ICD reprogramed 6/2010
Lead revision 3/2011 due to fractured lead
53 shock storm 4/21/2011 (Inappropriate)
ICD turned off May 20111 through 8/16/2011
Lead revision 8/16/2011
VT episodes starting in August 2012
ICD Changeout 2/25/2013 St. Jude Inspire Assura
Too many meds to count
Life is too short, live in the moment and make the best of it :)
Intro is here:http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 271#p75271

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » December 19th, 2011, 5:18 pm

John, why don't you ask your EP if he can fluoro the lead (take an x-ray to check it) during your generator change? As I read the research, that's the only definitive way to check, since some of these leads don't manifest "symptoms." If your lead is one of the model numbers on the recall list, to me it seems like a no-brainer to ask for the check. Cheers, CeeBee.
Diagnosed with HCM 2008; ICD 2009
Female, live in Midwest
College professor, mystery reader; take college students abroad at least twice a year. No shocks from that -- yet.
Do our ICDs mean we'll survive a zombie apocalypse??

wedge40

Post by wedge40 » January 4th, 2012, 5:24 pm

I'm hoping this will bubble back to the top.
I have one the leads on recall.. I'm scheduled for an ICD change on the 27th. I would like to know the how difficult it is to change the leads? or how dangerous it is.
I have a face to face with Dr on the 19th to discuss my options, or should say his options when he goes in there to change the ICD. I kind of see this like a tire on the car. Are some they will wear and cause problems. Do I wait till it's an issue or since he's already going to be in there change the lead. I just know how big a deal it is to change the lead.

Wedge

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » January 4th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Hugo or someone else may weigh in with more information about lead changes, but first, in your meeting with the EP, I'd find out the specifics of his or her policy about the St. Jude leads -- like, I'd ask, you're going to really carefully these check these leads via fluoroscope, righty?? (I think at this point with these leads the answer's got to be yes) and then -- what's a plan if the lead looks affected? and what's a plan if it doesn't? The recent statements from HRS haven't even yet come out with a definite recommendation to extract a lead that shows abrasion (i.e. the external wires are visible) (I for one would want that sucker outta there). And it might be harder (with some EPs, at least) to ask for an extraction if the lead doesn't (yet?) show up as abnormal. But you sure deserve answers. Good luck.
Diagnosed with HCM 2008; ICD 2009
Female, live in Midwest
College professor, mystery reader; take college students abroad at least twice a year. No shocks from that -- yet.
Do our ICDs mean we'll survive a zombie apocalypse??