Reduce ICD therapy

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: freckles1880, Suzanne, ~guin, Eric, Moderators

Lila2008

Reduce ICD therapy

Post by Lila2008 » December 29th, 2011, 12:08 pm

This may be a silly question, but I have been thinking about this for some time. I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Nonischemic Dilated Cardiomyopathy 3 years ago. I am receiving 100% therapy from my BiVentricular-Defibrillater. Has anyone ever had their therapy reduced, so that the heart can pump on its own? All I have ever heard is that the best therapy is at 100%. But, what if the heart function has improved due to medication and therapy, EF improved from 20% to 50% and heart is no longer enlarged. Is it possible to be weaned from the ICD therapy? Is that something that could be monitored during the ICD check?
Lila
"I used to have a handle on life, but it broke..."
Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy
Left bundle branch block morphology with QRS of 160
Medtronic-Maximo II with 3 leads
CRT-D & 2 leads implanted 12/3/08
3rd lead implanted 12/5/08 via anterior thoracotomy (epicardial LV lead placement)

TruckerRon

Re: Reduce ICD therapy

Post by TruckerRon » December 29th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Perhaps we can be weaned from therapy, but it depends on which sort of therapy you're receiving and what that's doing for you. In my case, my diagnosis is very much like yours, except I also have a bundle branch block -- which means my ventricles, left to themselves, don't beat together. So, my ICD is overriding the heart's natural rhythm to keep them in sync.

And, after over 18 months of no other therapy being provided, a routine interrogation revealed that my ICD had cardioverted me out of some dangerous rhythms several times in my sleep during the summer, so my medication was modified and that problem went away.

So, I'm just very glad to have a watchdog that doesn't sleep. And I don't mind that my heart is needing some additional synchronization and corrections along the way. And I'm especially glad that having it do those things is keeping me out of serious trouble that might require that ultimate, shocking therapy!
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099